graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  11:12:59 AM  Show Profile
I am going to make marmalade for the first time this week - any input/advice/warnings? I am using my grandma's favorite recipe - I inherited a box full of her recipes last year and she had this one written down in at least 8 places.
I didn't do so well on my own canning last year, taught some classes but didn't have the "oomph" to do much at home so I'm hoping to get a jump on things this year.
I would love to hear stories or experiences from anyone
Thanks,
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  12:49:57 PM  Show Profile
I make a few kinds of marmalade every year. I remember when I made my first batch...I figured it would be no good as it didn't set. Now I know that marmalade can take two or three days to fully set (unlike jam).
Di
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  12:58:39 PM  Show Profile
Diane has said what I wanted to say, marmalade DOES take a bit to set. I am not an expert but I do make some with seville oranges when they come out each year. I am the only one in our house who eats it so a dozen pints is more than enough for the year for us including gifting.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  2:52:06 PM  Show Profile
Good to know - thank you!! Although I do have to say that I have made cherry jam that took 3 months to set - it turned out great but I thought for sure I had syrup instead:)

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  3:51:51 PM  Show Profile
I make orange marm with blood oranges, differant look and taste , but really good. With all the freezes this winter, I don't know how much citrus will be around, or if the prices will be within reason. Oh, and yes, it does take time to set, but if it doesn't, its great on waffles and ice cream.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  4:10:23 PM  Show Profile
I Make marmalade all the time - my family members eat the heck out of it, and get it from me, as we're all avoiding HFCS. I love citrus anything, and love marmalade more than any other jelly/jam ever. :)

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  5:50:27 PM  Show Profile
I made some the other day with the Barefoot Contessa recipe. I was set by the next morning and is very good! Some people had issues with bitterness, but I think they were using oranges with really thick skin. I used Cara Cara (red flesh) navels and Meyer Lemons and it turned out heavenly!
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  6:00:31 PM  Show Profile
I have only made marmalade from the cans of stuff at Williams Sonoma. They sell Seville Orange and Lemon...or they used to. I LOVE marmalade and would love a good recipe.

I do make a yummy tomato marmalde also.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  7:25:34 PM  Show Profile
ANYONE HAVE A RECIPE. I TOO WOULD LOVE TO TRY IT SHERRYE
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  8:30:21 PM  Show Profile
Here's a link to the recipe I used.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/annas-orange-marmalade-recipe/index.html

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  6:16:18 PM  Show Profile
I will post my grandma's recipe if this turns out well - it uses one lemon, one orange and one grapefruit, called Amber marmalade. I was thinking that thinner skinned fruit would be better.....

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  06:01:21 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone made lime marmalade? I use this to make key lime pies and my supply from Florida is low...down to one jar!
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  12:42:01 PM  Show Profile
i made the marmalade. at least its is steeping. tomorrow i cook it. tastes great already. i took teresas advice and added some dark red oranges for color and taste. it looks so good. let you know how it sets. i used the recipe here followed the food network link. sherrye gonna put it on the english muffins from here
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  2:22:18 PM  Show Profile
I am on day 3 - Grandma's recipe calls for 3 days so tonight I will actually make the marmalade and can it - will let you know how it turns out.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  07:37:27 AM  Show Profile
Okay - the recipe called for cooking it in three batches - the first batch looks good, the second batch heated up too hot and the third not enough - weird. One thing for sure, they all set up. In fact I am not sure if it will be possible to get the first two batches out of the jars:)
When I finished I found a recipe for orange marmalade in on of the Barefoot Contessa books so I might try that one if I do this again.
Amy Grac

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  07:41:30 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by graciegreeneyes

When I finished I found a recipe for orange marmalade in on of the Barefoot Contessa books so I might try that one if I do this again.

I wonder if it's the same recipe that I used from food network? Is it called Anna's Marmalade or something like that?

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  07:50:01 AM  Show Profile
Yep I think that's it - now that I know you made it and it was wonderful I will definitely try it.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  5:48:53 PM  Show Profile
i had made the marmalade recipe on the link posted. oh boy yummy it turned out thick sweet sour dark chunky. thanks so much for the recipe i will use over and over. i think a lime one would be awesome too. sherrye
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Any Marmalade Makers? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page