Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Question about one of my hens
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Question about one of my hens Next Topic  

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  04:44:33 AM  Show Profile
One of my precious hens seems different, she is thinner, and her comb is a slight reddish pink, almost white. She is eating and hanging around with the others, I wonder if she is moulting? I hope the cold isn't getting to her. I just noticed the difference in her the last couple of days. It has been very cold here, but I think Barred Rocks are cold hardy. Any suggestions?

Kelly
Farmgirl #238

May your bobbin always be full...

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  04:47:25 AM  Show Profile
that happens to my girls in the winter too....i'm not sure, but I think it might have something to do with the cold

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  05:45:02 AM  Show Profile
Kelly, try some warm water with electrlytes mixed in. You can get that at a feed store. Also give them cracked corn at night. It's supposed to help keep their little bodies warm. I do that and some of mine roost in the trees. They are all fine. Just a little slow in the morning til the sun comes up. Then they're back to normal.

Also warm water with apple cider vinegar, too. If it was summer and she was so pale I'd think anemia. Also hens that have pale combs aren't laying eggs. But maybe she's just cold and needs a little boost from the electrolytes.

Good luck. Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  07:46:33 AM  Show Profile
kelly, how old is she. there combs are where most color comes from for yolk color. when they get older the comb color fades. just a thought sherrye
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  4:20:08 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, I will get the electrolytes in the morning,
Sherry they are only 9 months old, she may not be laying, I only collected 3 eggs today.
She seem active, I did notice her tail feathers are shorted too.

Kelly
Farmgirl #238

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  4:31:18 PM  Show Profile
Kelly, she might be getting picked on by the others, and is not getting enough to eat or drink, if thats so, seperate her until she is back up to pare.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  5:41:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Teresa,
Kris I got the electolytes and the package makes 55 GALLONS! Now what do I do??? Just sprinkle a little bit in the water?

Kelly
Farmgirl #238

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  5:57:31 PM  Show Profile
Yes, just sprinkle alittle in the water

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  7:44:40 PM  Show Profile
Kelly, it's always good to have a pack of that around. Never know when ya might need some. I always just mix about a 1/4 teaspoon in about a half gallon of water. I hope that helps her.

I'm up to 8-10 eggs a day now! I have 4 dozen on the counter in cartons and 10 more in my egg basket. I have traded 2 dozen for a gallon of my friends raw milk. And I have more sold. It feels so good to be rolling in eggs again. It's been a long time.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  08:34:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Kris, and Congrats on the bounty of eggs thats just fabulous!
So you don't store them in the fridge? Why not? I keep mine in the fridge, figured they need to stay cold. I have 3 doz. in there now! I can't use them quick enough, I think they last longer though right?

Kelly
Farmgirl #238

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  08:49:05 AM  Show Profile
Eggs need to be kept at a cool , steady temp, so leaving them out with the temp changeing constantly, especially in a kitchen, can be a problem. Refrigerating them is fine.

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  08:50:20 AM  Show Profile
i keep mine in my back pantry....it is quite cool back there, I hope this is ok

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  1:29:50 PM  Show Profile
I never refrigerate mine unless they've been washed. I never wash them unless they are filthy, muddy or poopy. Even in summer. They have a protective coating on them that keeps them preserved. Once washed they do need to kept in a fridge. I have never gotten sick and no one's ever complained. That's just the way I've always done it here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  5:52:41 PM  Show Profile
Kristin is correct... Once they are washed they must be refrigerated. I read that the farmer has 30 days to get the eggs to the market , the market has 30 days to sell them & conumer has 30 days to use them up.. I leave mine on the counter too.. No problem with getting sick or ever had a bad egg.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen
Be sure to check us out
http://www.Klamathfallscharmingchicks.blogspot.com and my personal
Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Grandmas are mom's with more icing.
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  06:16:36 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I am glad I have fresh eggs, I can't believe I used to eat eggs 90+ days old!
Thank you all for your egg knowledge, this really helps with me being a first time hen owner~

Kelly
Farmgirl #238

Go to Top of Page

katevc
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Kate
Hutchinson KS
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  12:28:45 AM  Show Profile
I need some good chicken advice. We seem to have a Barred rock chicken who is suddenly a rooster and we already have one rooster. Are barred rock known for being late bloomers? And does anyone recomend a good resource for identifying chickens? Our first set of chickens were hatched from eggs of a free range group of birds from a friend of a friend and we don't know what we have nor their exact age...What about yolky looking substance in the nesting box? No evidence of a broken egg...we only have 5 birds..1 1/2 roosters (depending on what is going on with the barred rock) and three hens....two we know are laying - the araucanas who are older than the others...I have been looking for info on-line for several days and I just seem to be confused....

To plant a thing and watch it grow... that is to nurture a miracle.
Go to Top of Page

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  06:39:14 AM  Show Profile
Kate--Do you have or get any hatchery magazines? Meyer Hatchery has a good colorful magazine with pictures of the adult rooster and hen as well as what they look like as chicks and what the eggs look like. You might be able to view online too. meyerhatchery.com
The yolky substance could really be a yolk. The chickens might have eaten the shell. Are you giving them oyster shells or anything to help with calcium? You definately do not want them to start the habit of breaking and eating eggs. It's extremely hard to break. Also, I had some chickens that would occasionally lay an egg without a shell. It just had a soft membrane around it. As for the barred rock, mine are actually ahead of the others in size. They are just starting to lay, so I'm not sure what eggs are coming from who yet. Hope this helds

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"
Go to Top of Page

Downhome CountryGirl
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Sam
Klondike Texas
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  07:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Downhome CountryGirl a Yahoo! Message
Kelly if you still think that your hen could be molting add some parsley to her feed just the regular old parsley that is in you spice cabnet if she is molting this will give her what she needs to come out of it and go on cheep and works well.

Also girls I have just learned something from some local farmgirls on the storing of your extra eggs. crack you eggs in a bowl and beat them as though you where going to scramble them, then get out the ice trays pour your beaten eggs into the trays and freeze then you take them out & individually wrap them in plastic wrap 2 cubes equal 1 egg place them into a ziplock bag and they will keep for 1 year. NOTE: spray very little cooking spray into the ice trays or you'll have a time getting them out.
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  07:51:21 AM  Show Profile
Might have been a soft-shell, I agree. Every once in a while a hen will lay an egg with no outer shell, just the membrane. They usually break the second they hit something solid, hay, nest box bottom, etc. Calcium supplements are always a good idea for the girls. It also helps to have a dark nestbox. If there's alot of daylight, rig up curtains made from old towels, etc. Hens won't eat what doesn't sparkle, and egg white is shiny in the light. That's what will attract them in the first place.
As for the half-roo, he's probably a very late-bloomer. When we had them in our commercial house, we wrung their neck. Don't be tempted to keep him as a replacement, he will never mature into a robust roo. We called them geeks or Ichabod, because they were tall and skinny, like Ichabod Crane.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

katevc
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Kate
Hutchinson KS
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  09:51:36 AM  Show Profile
Great advice and info farm sisters! Thank you so much.

Glad to know I'm not crazy to think that was a yolk in the nesting box. Our boxes are good and dark and I will double check on the calcium issue. I thougt we had that covered but the DH has been in charge of feed lately, so maybe something has changed. Is it possible that the soft-shell is from our little hen that hasn't started laying yet?

I am sad to be losing the Barred Rock - I really like her personality. But s/he is headed to the chicken auction on Friday. We discovered that there is a little chicken auction once a month in the Amish community south of us. I am excited to go and see about trading or picking up a new hen.

Thanks for the recomendation about the hatchery catalogue. We don't get any as we have been lucky to have been given all of our birds.

For the reccomendation about the parsley - I have been giving my chikens parsley out of the garden until the hard freeze got it. My neighbor grows comfrey for his chickens. He hangs it in the chicken yard or hen house if there's been a alot of snow and he says they will jump up to get it and that's how they get their exercise in the dead of winter. The image of those jumping chickens makes me smile.

To plant a thing and watch it grow... that is to nurture a miracle.
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  06:29:19 AM  Show Profile
Humm, Parsley is interesting, I will sprinkle some out there today. Kate, wish you were closer to me, I am looking for a barred rooster! I am going to wait a few more weeks to get one. I have a confused hen who has been sitting on 5 unfertilized eggs! i found her in a flower pot in my barn, I felt so bad taking the eggs from her, she just looked at me with her sad eyes. I told her I was getting her a rooster. My mother wants some chicks this spring, so maybe we this hen will sit and hatch them. I am rather new to the world of hens, but so far so good! I love each one and all their personalities!

Kelly
Farmgirl #238

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Question about one of my hens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page