2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  4:28:21 PM  Show Profile
My boyfriend and I went out shopping today to try and find him a new pair of work boots (he's a mechanic and on concrete floors all day).... unfortunately the salespeople at the shoe store were very snooty (we went to a 'specialty' store to try and find him exactly what he needed)...so we went to Walmart and bought him some insoles (the shoes aren't worn out, its just that they're uncomfortable)....so I"m keeping my fingers crossed that this helps....

does anyone have experience with making shoes last longer in this throw away society? What's your experience with the best type of insoles??

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  12:06:33 AM  Show Profile
Maybe those whooly type of soles?? Or else leather ones. They also help for smelly feet lol.

How sad the sales person was snooty, I wonder why...

I have worked in a shoestore for over 13 yrs., first as a sales lady and later as manager. I remember many mechanics, construction workers etc. come in for workboots (we didn't sell the ones with the steel toe) but I never was snooty and didn't allow anyone else to be either. Why should one be snooty in the first place duh. We all work for our money, whether you're a "worker" in the field or a salesperson or the president lol.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)

Edited by - dutchy on Jan 11 2010 12:07:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  08:35:27 AM  Show Profile
We buy the gel insoles. They are more expensive but they are better for comfort on concrete floors. Have used all the other types but these feel better. Hubby has same job so know what it's like.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  08:44:09 AM  Show Profile
My hubby is always chirping at me to buy well made shoes. He will only wear Red Wing boots. He never seems to wear them out. As for inserts, I like the gel ones too. I just ordered him a pair of warming ones online. But I can't remember the site. Maybe I'll research it again and post it here. I personally make my own for winter using pure cotton batting and fleece. Just outline your foot and sew making sure to 'quilt' them good. No need for it to look pretty as your feet are on it all day. Hubsters is dairy man, so he too is on his feet alot. Hope my 2 cents helps.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Maven
http://www.harvestthymefarm.vpweb.com
www.onefunkyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
~Let me take ya for a ride on my big green tractor~
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  09:01:23 AM  Show Profile
Gel soles are great too indeed :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  09:06:11 AM  Show Profile
My late hubby only wore "Red Wing" boots, and I always got him gel insoles, worked best for him.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  10:51:31 AM  Show Profile
Red Wing Boots, while really pricey, are the absolute best.

With that said, however, my DH goes through about 1 pair of boots a year. We always ante up and buy the expensive ones, but when he's worn them about a year they have to be replaced. He's a farmer and spends most of his days wading through cow manure. I think the acidity in the manure eventually eats through even the best leather.

And I can't understand why a sales person would be snooty. I have yet to find a DECENT pair of work boots for DH that cost less than $150. So they ought to be kissing your feet when you walk in to spend that kind of money on boots.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

countrymum
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Lorie
PA
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  11:16:09 AM  Show Profile
My husband has same job a yours, and he swears by Red Wing boots and gel insoles. His last about a year, they would last longer but the oil & grease just does a number on them.
He tried cheaper brands, but they were not worth it, they didn't last as long and he would end up with foot pain. I hope this helps.

"Life is brief & very fragile. Do that which makes you happy."- Flavia
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  6:16:34 PM  Show Profile
Gels seems to be the way to go....thanks ladies for your insightfulness...i'll pick some of them up for him asap! Hugs!!!!

Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  6:22:48 PM  Show Profile
You might check your local thrift stores for the "snooty boots". It's always worth a try. I only say that because my DH needed some snow boots this winter and I found a $100 pair of Rocky snow boots brand new for $20 at Salvation Army. And they just happened to be his size. it was amazing. We had been praying that we'd find a good deal because we knew we couldn't afford what he needed and it was like they were just there waiting for him.

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  7:19:46 PM  Show Profile
good idea--thanks!

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  05:15:33 AM  Show Profile
I buy my hubby a pair of Red Wings every year for Christmas. Thats a tradition for us. He's always got his older ones that are worn out, and a newer pair for dressing up a bit. When the old ones run their course, he gets out the new ones.
Also, www.comforthouse.com is where I ordered his thermal inserts. they were about $20. I too, like the gel ones. But with the hubsters being a farmer, his feet are cold a lot and the thermal ones keep his tootsies a little warmer.
I just had an idea though....why couldn't someone 'felt' a pair of inserts with wool? Felt it down, cut it out. Might work....

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Maven
http://www.harvestthymefarm.vpweb.com
www.onefunkyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
~Let me take ya for a ride on my big green tractor~
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  4:23:49 PM  Show Profile
thanks Dawn, I'll keep my eye out!

Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  5:40:38 PM  Show Profile
I am one of the redwing boot folks too. I have a pair that I wear. I have had them resoled once, and I always make sure to keep them clean and oiled. I know this helps them last longer. I dont use insoles but after hearing all these raves I may try them!

Of note with the snooty sales people...Oh my. I was buying hiking boots for my 13 year old last summer for boy scout camp, also needed a running shoe for him and some water shoes. I had planned to purchase a mid-range boot. Nice and sturdy, safe on his feet and ankles but not too pricey knowing he would outgrow them in less than 6 months. When I went into Sears shoe store in Fort Oglethorpe Ga, the person literally told me to go to walmart if I didnt want the top of the line boots. Seriously. I have never stepped foot in the store again and we spend a lot of money on shoes each year between athletic shoes and work boots etc. I was very offended.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  6:21:56 PM  Show Profile
I really lucked out. There is a new store here locally that has Carhartt etc & they had a 50% off section. 2 pairs of Red Wings & one was hubby's size!! I got them for $40!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  11:40:32 AM  Show Profile
I've got to chime in also for the Red Wing boots. My dad works in a dairy processing plant and warehouse, and that's the brand that his union goes through for footwear. He wears the boots everywhere, for hiking and camping as well as work.

Sarah, that's interesting that your husband's boots are ruined by the manure. My dad has said the same thing about milk. The leather uppers on his boots always fall apart while the rubber soles are still good. If you've got milk cows, it might be the milk itself as well as the manure.
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  05:39:39 AM  Show Profile
My husband is a carpenter and always wears Red Wings. He gets them re-soled A great way to save the shoe without having to buy a completely new pair. I can't remember the last time he bought a new pair! He does have 2 - he switches between them so they can "air out". He oils them occasionally so they will last.

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  07:33:35 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
Yep, find a really good cobbler and have the boots resoled. That is what I have done to the boys boots. Boots are so expensive and re-soling them makes them like new.The boys also get new gel insoes for them and use the mink oil it really works and you don't have to deal with snobby sales people!

"God made rainy days so gardeners could get their housework done!" unknown

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  3:26:22 PM  Show Profile
thanks gals! I am wondering however, what is the best kind of gel insert to get for him? there are SOOOOO manny on the market? There was even one of those infomercials on TV the other night about some kind of real fancy one....what's your experience? They all look alike to me..... thanks!

Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  04:33:19 AM  Show Profile
So, now my husband has decided not to go with Red Wings anymore. He's going to go to Bass Pro and see what they have to offer. The last pair he had re-soled are not holding up as well as they have in years past.

He has a pair of Danner hiking boots from Bass Pro - for about 10 years now. They're still going strong! Maybe they make a work boot too?

We'll just find someone who can re-sole those boots when the time comes.

As far as the gel inserts. I've bought the Dr. shoals (sp?) I think those were the kind.

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Edited by - City Chick on Jan 22 2010 04:35:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Downhome CountryGirl
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Sam
Klondike Texas
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  2:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Downhome CountryGirl a Yahoo! Message
I agree the Red Wing work boots are really good boots my husband wears them as well. But I worked on concrete like your husband in a factory and there was no breaks allowed on your feet from start to finish and I had some one give me the tip to go to a hardware store and the chuka brand lace up boots that where called Twisted X these are a very comfortable boot to have to wear standing all the time and let me tell you I'm not a small woman, so you have to have a really good comfortable boot or your whole body will feel the pain especially your lower back. But then your boyfriend might be like mine and not be to fond of lace up boots. It might help in the future.
Go to Top of Page

yaskid
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Linda
Dalton GA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  05:21:59 AM  Show Profile
We haven't tried Red Wing. My husband and son each wear Ariat, pricey, but feel great! And they seem to last a pretty good while too. I used to wear Ariats back when I rode, and they did feel better on my feet than any others. I still have my hiking boots and they have lasted for years and still feel great.

Linda....Lovin' God, my family, my friends and our farm in Georgia

http://beautifullyveiled.blogspot.com/
http://www.trinityoaksfarms.com/
http://www.tmhnow.com/
Go to Top of Page

StitchHazel
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Kylie
Rome NY
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  8:35:10 PM  Show Profile
Patricia, if the boots are able to be re-soled you might have good luck making them last longer by taking them to a shoe repair shop to have them done. In the past, this has saved us a lot of money over the cost of new shoes! Unfortunately, we've never tried it with work boots.

Hope this helps!

Kylie

"It's wonderful what we can do when we're always doing." -George Washington
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic work boot_shoes_ Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page