Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 Bible Study and Crafts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Bible Study and Crafts Next Topic
Page: of 2

1roosterhenhouse
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Trish
Mission Texas
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  1:24:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

I'm thinking of starting a bible study based on Proverbs 31 and developing some craft ideas to correlate. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Prayers and Blessings
Trish

Proverbs 31; Titus 2

friotowngirl
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Cynthia
Pearsall Texas
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  2:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Send friotowngirl a Yahoo! Message
I would love to.

Simply Thankful,
Cynthia
Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  2:49:04 PM  Show Profile
I would love to do that. :)

Learning to appreciate having a glass..not half full or empty..just thankful for a glass :)
Go to Top of Page

Cowgirl Cocinera
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dana
Chelsea OK
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  5:39:53 PM  Show Profile

What an interesting idea to have crafts that go along with the study, and what a great scripture to use for it! Count me in.

Cowgirl cookin' makes you good lookin'
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  03:24:46 AM  Show Profile
Trish, I would be interested too.

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/

http://www.birchtreefarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  12:27:16 PM  Show Profile
How would we do this? Sounds great!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  5:28:35 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to participate.

Handmade Soap, Lotion Bars & More! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  7:28:40 PM  Show Profile
I am new to the farm girl thing but I would like to participate too. Has anyone ever read The Hidden Art of Homemaking? The author isn't a farmgirl per se but it's great!

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  7:29:47 PM  Show Profile
Sounds fun!

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  05:53:48 AM  Show Profile
Count me in!!

Blessings,
Tina
Farmgirl #455
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  06:17:03 AM  Show Profile
Me, too. I e-mailed Trish but have not heard back from her. It's been a week now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

bertha
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Bertha
St Joseph Mi
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  2:33:45 PM  Show Profile
I would love this If I can help just holler Bert
Go to Top of Page

1roosterhenhouse
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Trish
Mission Texas
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  8:10:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi to everyone one who has responded. Sorry for the delay, but I work full time as a Labor and Delivery Nurse and this is the first chance I've had to respond to all of you. I'm waiting for some books to arrive from The Christian Bookstore (CBD.com) that I would like to use for our bible study. Of course there is the Bible (my husband and I use the KJV as reference and daily reading).

If you're interested in having your own copy, the books I ordered are

The Excellent Wife,A Bible Perspective Revised Edition, by Martha Peace(ISBN -885904-08-0),
Becoming A Titus 2 Woman,also by Martha Peace(ISBN 1-885904-17-7)

I would like to take one verse of Proverbs 31 at a time and discuss what it means to each of us. We will also incorporate other verses from the Bible, starting with those in the Second Epistle of John.

Sewing projects are a definite,as one of you asked, but I would also like to incorporate, paper making, needlework(crocheting, knitting, embroidery); candle making; soap making; bead work; leather craft, cooking, etc. Projects will be simple to keep costs to a minimum. Suggestions from members of the study group will definitely be welcome.

I would like to use my hen house as the 'meeting site' for the group. Please join my hen house (1roosterhenhouse) if you're still interested and add your Bio so we all can get to know each other. I will be adding my Bio this week. Everything is still in the planning stages as you can probably tell.

Oh, by the way, the hen house is also a great place to talk about the rooster in our lives. He's important too, as we need him to wake us all up on time in the morning!

I will post when the first study session will start in the next couple of weeks (just to give me enough time to get organized). Meanwhile, buy a paper shredder appropriate for the amount of waste paper your family generates and start to shred those items that are not glossy. It is very hard to make paper with old glossy paper, i.e. photos, shiny advertisements, etc. The first project will be papermaking. Re-using your own paper (bills, personal information, etc) should reduce the risk of Identity Theft. Also, plan to re-cycle an old blender.

I look forward to 'meeting' with you in the 1roosterhenhouse.

Prayers and Blessings

Trish

Proverbs 31; Titus 2
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  04:44:40 AM  Show Profile
Could someone direct me to the "how to join a henhouse" directions?
Thanks!

ANGIE

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  05:54:32 AM  Show Profile
Hey all. I just looked on Amazon and they have both books. The cheapest would be with shipping, $13.82. I can't remember if they add tax. But that's not too bad. These are the used books. We have a great used book store here I am going to call and see if they have them there. Just thought I'd let ya'll know about Amazon.

I am excited to get startd here. But some of the projects look a little tough. But I am up for new experiences and anxious to try. I need to get my sewing maching fixed now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

lydiars
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Lydia
Bordentown New Jersey
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  09:47:38 AM  Show Profile
Is is too late to join this Bible Study? It sounds great and I would love to participate.
Lydia
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  10:06:44 AM  Show Profile
I'm trying to join the Henhouse but not having much luck.

ANGIE

Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  1:00:32 PM  Show Profile
is this only going to be on the henhouse? I let me MJ # lapse and do not plan to re-new right away. Without that, I can't get into the henhouse. Just wondering. I would like to participate, but can't if this is the case.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

lydiars
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Lydia
Bordentown New Jersey
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  1:08:08 PM  Show Profile
From what I can tell, you have to subscribe to get into the henhouse to post. You can read, but can't post. So far I did not see any posts for this website.
Lydia
Go to Top of Page

1roosterhenhouse
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Trish
Mission Texas
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  1:43:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone
Regarding joining my hen house; this is what Brian Ogle wrote to me when I asked to create the 1roosterhenhouse.

"If you get a lot of folks interested in your chapter, have them send me emails wanting access and let them know it may be a while."

So, contact Brian via the site administrator and ask for access to 1roosterhenhouse. That should get you in.

Anyone can join in at any time; it is never too late to walk with those who walk with the Lord.

All of the projects are being designed to be internally consistent; meaning no project will be too difficult to pick up fresh. I'm new to most of them too, sooo, my 'minister rooster' is teaching me too. [Yes he is ordained: servant brother james anthony wright] More on this will be included in my Bio this week.

The following three books are highly optional. The projects we do will be centered on Bible Study and basic crafts. However, you may become addicted to some of the projects. Therefore, they should be made as nice and artsy as we can. To do this requires a little study of graphic design. The end result will be projects that you will be more likely to sell at a church bazaar. That will rid your home of excess attempts and perhaps provide a little revenue to offset the costs of materials and tools.

Not buying the books is ok too. [do you have a library card?] We will integrate the graphic design concepts with each project. Having the books available tells you where we are coming from and gives you a few independent options. None of these are "workbooks" for our projects. The books we mentioned in the earlier post are. [The excellent wife etc]

Also, with each new project, we will inform you of our resources and such that you may expand upon our guidance.

Color Harmony: A guide to creative color combinations --- Hideaki Chijiiwa --- 0-9356-03-06-09 *** this book is one of the essential references for use of color in graphic design. It is a compendium of swatches to suggest which colors will visually work well with other colors. Suggesting this text is an attempt to overcome the "gaudy arts and crafts" effect we so often see at church bazaars [eg the off colored quilt!]. Make it something someone else will pay for.

Making and Breaking the Grid: A graphic design layout workshop --- Timothy Samara --- 1-56496-893-6 *** everything in art is based on the graphic design of lines and how the eye flows across the image. This book will help provide some order to the arrangements. Trust my husband on this, there is beauty in a grid.

Design it Yourself Graphic Workshop: A step by step guide --- Chuck Green --- 1-59253-088-5 *** how many of us need a brochure when we wish to sell our items at a farmer's market? a letter with our small company letter head to advertise our herbs to the local restaurant? Web page? Ebay post? This book is a workshop of design concepts to assist us with those issues. More importantly for the projects however, it will reinforce our understanding of the use of color and grids in design.

We don't really know of an outstanding treatise for using texture in art, however, we'll keep looking and let you know later.

The other item that would be of fundamental interest is a good text on typography and its use in graphic design. We simply are not using type in the first few projects, so, we won't recommend that now.

Please don't feel overwhelmed. Remember Matthew 19: 16-26.

Looking forward to "meeting" all of you in the hen house.

Prayers and Blessings

Trish

Proverbs 31; Titus 2
Go to Top of Page

bertha
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Bertha
St Joseph Mi
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  1:46:36 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 1roosterhenhouse

Hi Everyone

I'm thinking of starting a bible study based on Proverbs 31 and developing some craft ideas to correlate. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Prayers and Blessings
Trish

Proverbs 31; Titus 2

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  1:42:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Trish, I am sorry. I had hoped to join in, but I am afraid I will have pass this time. Thnak you! God Bless. Thanks, Linda

country at heart
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  10:58:08 AM  Show Profile
I'm fairly new but would love to join in. I love going to the bible studies we have at church. Adding a craft to it will be fun. I have not joined the sisterhood so will I be allowed on your henhouse? Hope there is room for me. Just let me know! thanks Brenda
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  12:58:38 PM  Show Profile
Hey Trish. Sorry, I'm going to have to take a rain-check. I really want to do this and can tell that you are putting a lot of time and effort into it, but I just do not have the $$$ right now to join the hen-house, buy the book and a shredder.
I will watch for the next one, hugs.
Angie

ANGIE

Go to Top of Page

friotowngirl
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Cynthia
Pearsall Texas
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  2:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Send friotowngirl a Yahoo! Message
Sorry Trish I am going to have to pass this time.
You all have fun doing it though

Simply Thankful,
Cynthia
Go to Top of Page

1roosterhenhouse
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Trish
Mission Texas
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  3:28:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi to those interested in my idea for bible study and craft project. I apologize for not responding sooner but I am working full time and I'm interviewing for a managerial position at a hospital in Idaho Falls Idaho. Obviously, living in McAllen, Texas, there is a lot to plan for such a long move. Please don't be scared off by my lack of involvement; I've gotten very busy in the past two weeks. My husband, however, is working on designing some awesome,and very affordable projects. We want to start with inexpensive recycled paper projects then progress to fiber arts. We purchased a shredder from Office Max for $40; it actually chips the paper instead of making long strips.(Better for making pulp in a blender). You can do the same with a pair of scissors if you're worried about cost of supplies, which apparently is a concern to some. I would think just about everyone has an old blender sitting around idle. It can be used for making the pulp.

We are more concerned about identity theft. A Godly woman is supposed to protect her family (Proverbs 31:21--She is not afraid of the snow for her household:for all her household are clothed in scarlet.) Using a paper shredder to destroy all your family mail before tossing out, prevents dumpster-divers from stealing your identity. Protection from identity theft, via shredding, will act as that scarlet veil to protect your household.

Spend five or ten minutes on the internet researching identity theft. It is the fastest growing, most damaging crime of the 21st Century. Once your identity has been stolen, you cannot get it back. Once someone else has your information, they will sell it to anyone on the black market willing to buy it. The only way to protect yourself and your family is to shred before disposing. We chose to create projects to allow you to re-use the waste paper (i.e. paper-making and paper casting). Yes, there is some cost involved, but it is minimal compared to an attorney's fee for trying to reclaim your identity,which is usually hopeless.

Following is a simple supply list for the first paper project:

$40 Cross-cut paper shredder
$60 Blender (luxury buy-our old blender will be used for paper-making)
$8 Large roll of window screen mesh
$5 ea Two plastic embroidery hoops (wood will warp in the water)
$ ? Large water tight container to put paper pulp in and be able to scoop both hoops into it at the same time (i.e a large re-cycled dispan or clean litter box bottom)
$ ? Large and small turkey baster for squirting dyes in paper pulp
$2-3 Reusable wipes (Mr Clean) to separate and pull the excess water from the sheets of paper you make (actually called Couch)
$6 12 garden bricks to sit on top of the paper and create weight to push the water out (much cheaper than a book press!!!)
$10 4 ft X 8 ft sheet of white melamine (cut in 12 in X 12 in squares)

This is how the supplies will be used:
Shred the paper. (Later we will show you how to mix the paper with water in a blender to make pulp). This pulp will be placed in the cat litter pan. the window screening will be placed in the embroidery hoop,just like aida cloth for cross stitching. This will form the mold. The second embroidery hoop forms the deckle. It is placed without screening over the top of the first hoop. Hold both tightly, scoop it into the pulp basin; lift and let drain. Sit down remove the top embroidery hoop on the mold. Make sure you have a reusable wipe on top of a piece of the melamine. Flip the mold with the paper on the mesh so that the new paper deposits onto the wipe. Layer another wipe on top of the new piece of paper. Make as many layers as you want pieces of paper. Place the second piece of melamine on top of your stack of paper, put the bricks on top; watch the water squeeze out. Use as many bricks as you want to squeeze out as much water as possible. After the water is squeezed out, remove the bricks and place each wipe and sheet of paper layer into the sun for drying.

This is the basic process. The turkey basters are used for adding dye to the paper while it is still in the mold. Later we'll get into embossing, added plants and seeds; quilling, and some scrap booking. The final project for this series will be your own art book for a chapter of the bible. From this the plan is to go to quilting, embroidery and other fiber arts. Remember, waste fabric after quilting, can be recycled as paper. DO NOT USE THE SHREDDER TO SHRED FABRIC. Will get to those processes later.
Total cost for supplies--Maybe $150 at the most; versus $300/hr legal fees.

It is my understanding that if you are able to post on this site, you are already a member of the farmgirl sisterhood. Therefore, joining my henhouse should not incur any additional cost. You just need to ask Brian or whoever is in charge to give you access to the henhouse. From this post on, my future posts will only be in the 1roosterhenhouse. I will post notification of new projects here, but photos of projects completed and work being done will only be in the 1roosterhenhouse.

Your first assignment for our bible study is to read Proverbs 31:10-31. Discussion of what these verses mean to you will be in the 1roosterhenhouse in the next few weeks. How your paper making project is going will also be addressed.

Prayers and Blessings
Trish

Proverbs 31; Titus 2
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Bible Study and Crafts Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page