Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Watch out for Hand Pruners Next Topic  

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2006 :  10:52:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I learned a very important lesson today about hand pruners.It is not very hard to do yourself some real injury with them!!I was pruning our hedge and the next thing I knew, I cut my left "bird finger" tip almost off! The trimmers slipped on a branch and there was my finger in the way!
I never even thought about safety issues before, as I have used these things endlessly, but after a trip to ther ER and 2 stitches, I will be wearing heavy leather gloves on the hand that holds the branches after this! I am tired of visiting doctors and hospitals, for pete's sake!

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  04:31:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh gosh, sorry you got hurt! But just because they call them hand pruners doesn't mean you have to prune your hand.

Seriously, I hope you feel better soon. That must hurt like heck!
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  10:02:58 PM  Show Profile
i hope your finger is healing nicely, Diane. i did a similar thing once while weaving a basket, only i got that fleshy place between the thumb and first finger. Youch!

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  11:20:39 PM  Show Profile
oh Diane..sounds like something I would do for sure. I think I have mentioned that I am pretty clumsy..I have little scars up my arm from ironing..and I LIKE ironing! and I always have several bruises and cuts and scrapes...
I am going to wear my leather gloves when I prune the apple trees now..I wouldn't have thought about it. And I am just the type to do what you did!
I sure hope it heals fast..that is a hard place to have such a bad cut!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  06:02:31 AM  Show Profile
Oh goodness, Diane, I'm sorry you were injured but thankful it wasn't any worse! I'm not very coordinated, so dh is careful about letting me handle sharp implements -- especially if he's very close

Take it as easy as you can -- it's amazing how when you cut or burn yourself on the hand, even "just" one finger, how it affects so many things you do without even thinking about it.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  6:00:42 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
Ouch, I will keep that in mind whengo to do any pruning but don't feel to bad about it i did the same thing to the same finger with a rotary cutter while quilting one day. Tried to cut the end right off. it hurt so bad.

Valerie
Alaska Girl all the way
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  6:04:48 PM  Show Profile
Yeowww, Diane! I hope that finger heals up quickly. It seems like the cuts with straight edges take the longest to knit themselves back together. I'm glad you went to the ER for stitches - that'll speed things up a lot. I haven't done much pruning yet here (oops!), but in the next couple of days when I do, you can be SURE I'll have on those heavy leather gloves, too.

I did, however, have a good laugh about Mary Ann's "hand pruners" comment...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  11:44:03 AM  Show Profile
Hey Diane, thanks for the "tip" (hehehe). Sorry you got hurt and hope you are healing. Heavy gloves are good advice that I'll follow when pruning.
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

HorseyNut
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Allena
MO
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  07:01:26 AM  Show Profile
OOOWWWW I HATE hurting my fingers it hurts so bad! I hate getting my finger pricked for blood, I would prefer the needle in the arm. I'm sure sorry for you that must really smart.

Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do...but how much love we put in that action. - Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  08:08:27 AM  Show Profile
I would also voice a word of caution about hand saws too. The kind that have teeth that cut in two directions are the best, but I too have come very close to loosing a finger.

Was sawing a small tree maybe 4" in diameter, looked over to watch a really big praying mantis, drew the saw back and sawed my "bird" finger too on the opposite hand bracing the tree. EEowwww!

I felt like such an idiot.

Have also come close to slicing thumb tips off when cutting ginger root.

All these kinds of deep injuries when they have happened give me the willies too. Can't stand my own blood like that .
Be careful ladies!!

Comfrey root salves make it feel better, but for the deeper cuts and such, the bacitracin-antibacterial salves are probably the better route.

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  1:17:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Thanks for all the sympathy. I almost have a whole finger again.

I was more mad at myself for stupidity than anything else.

JENNY! I thought I was the ONLY one with burns on my forearms from ironing!! I like ironing too. We are Klutz sisters in spirit for sure. Clumsy is my middle name.

Thanks for the jokes too...i.e "hand pruners" and "thanks for the tip" you gals are a pretty funny lot! LOve YA!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  4:11:06 PM  Show Profile
Diane
Glad that finger is comming along and ready to work with the others, that must have been very scary. I remember when I was about 10 years old, and my Grandpa coming in the house holding his hand, he had cut off his middle finger with the lawn mower, I was the only one home, I told him to sit down, he seemed about to faint, who wouldn't? I got him a drink of water and ran upstairs and got a kotex to put on it, until we could get help.
The biggest family story to come out of this, was how did she know about the kotex? Hey don't under estimate how much kids know.
Anyway, Diane, gald your finger will be ready for the summer jobs.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

BamaSuzy
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Alabama
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2006 :  7:57:36 PM  Show Profile
gosh! I'm glad to read it's already getting better! I am so "gifted" that I learned a long time ago that I need to be especially careful with anything sharp, hot or otherwise dangerous!

You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt!
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2006 :  09:29:04 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
Valerie, last fall my dd cut off the tip of my finger with a rotory cutter, thankgoodness i was in my second trimester, it grew back quickly, but is still tender!
only i can tell anthing ever happened but those nerve endings are quite raw!
Diane, be careful for the next year! my injury was the same finger on my left hand. it feel hot and cold before the rest of my hand. canning should be interesting this year!!i am still nervous each time i pick up my cutter. none of my kids will even fetch my cutters for me!lol!

-Tami
now ladybugsmom7, the newest farm girl Danielle elizabethwas born March23, Danielle Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Watch out for Hand Pruners Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page