chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  11:42:02 AM  Show Profile
I don't know whay, but I just LOVE Valentines Day! I've already been schemeing about making frilly Valentines Aprons, am decorating the house in pink, white and red hearts, and am even venturing into making Valentines Day candy boxes.

I'm plotting out the actual day of February 14th trying to make it as perfect and special for DH as I possibly can. I'm excited about planning our special day!

Do any of you fabulous farmgirls have special plans or traditions or even just great ideas for Valentines Day?

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  2:59:34 PM  Show Profile
Am I the ONLY ONE who loves Valentines Day??? LOL!!!

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  6:00:08 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
One year I made a big poster printed from my computer like an old fashioned valentine... it was about 4 pages wide and 4 pages long...
we lived in an upstairs apartment so I put it in the window my husband would drive by coming home. I sure had fun doing that!

Linda in Scranton, PA

What a wonderful world.
Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  6:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Do ya have any new or original ideas? I think I'll make some long pink or red paper chains..inexpensive and fun!

Linda in Scranton, PA

What a wonderful world.
Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  04:30:42 AM  Show Profile
Well, I have a heart wreath I made a couple of years ago out of a hanger and twisted strips of white napkins. I spray painted it with red paint, which turned out more pink, and then sprayred it with some glitter spray. I put a bunch of small pink satin roses at the top and a bowe made out of cream colored twisted paper. It turned out so pretty that I save it and put it up every year. That is about it for decorations though. Unless the grandchildren are about and make paper hearts to hang up. I did think of buying some paper doilies to hang on the windows.
Sheri

Many Hands Make Light Work!

...God made the seed to grow...1 Cor 3:6

The best fertilizer for a farm, are the farmers footsteps...

Edited by - Lynner on Jan 13 2010 04:32:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  09:41:02 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
I usually focus on food for any holiday so my Valentine's Day favourite is a chocolate fondue pot for dessert! You can use a variety of "dippers" such as strawberries, cherries (watch out for the pits, peanut butter balls, cheesecake balls or even pound cake chunks. Yummy!

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  09:50:04 AM  Show Profile
Don't forget the heart shaped cookie cutter to make him toast or pancakes for breakfast!!! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  10:39:06 AM  Show Profile
Last year I got up at like 3 in the a.m. and made heart shaped, jelly filled doughnuts. :)

This year, I'm trying my hand at home made candy in candy boxes.

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  11:00:02 AM  Show Profile
Many years ago, my sweet late hubby yelled for me to come to the barn, there was something he wanted me to see. I walked in and said where are you, he said look up... as i did, all these little paper hearts came falling down in red, pink and white, like confetti, he had rigged something up to drop hundreds of them slowly ...then he said turn around...he was standing there holding a doz roses, 11 yellow,cause thats my favorite color rose and 1 red for tradition. I asked him, "where did you find all of these little paper hearts?", and he said he'd been cutting them out of contruction paper for 2 weeks, now those of you who never knew my sweet man, he was 6'7, 285 lbs of pure muscle, harley rideing, diesel truck mechanic, ranching pure man. We picked up most of them, and I have them in a metal tin, along with many other things he's made and given me over the years, put away, so I can treasure them forever.So every Valentines day, i take out all of the cards and such that he gave me every year and read the notes and remember the silly but oh so romantic things that he did on this day every year. Thats all the decoration I'll ever need.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  12:23:41 PM  Show Profile
What cherished memories for you Teresa! You are lucky indeed to have them.

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  12:31:59 PM  Show Profile
Teresa, that is so sweet. What a blessing to have had such a wonderful partner.

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  09:12:17 AM  Show Profile
Last night I started working on my hand made Valentines. I was having a blast and coming up with all kinds of cool, resourceful ideas. Then, before I knew it it was 12 p.m.!!!! I'm very excited about my Valentines so far. I would really have liked to have joined the "old fashioned valentine swap", but I was afraid I would be able to make that many of them in time to meet the deadline. :( I worked on the ones I made last night for a couple of hours and only finished 4. But, it was lots of fun! Have apron and candymaking to do this weekend.

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  10:21:51 AM  Show Profile
What a neat memory you shared, Teresa! Sounds like you're keeping busy with Velentine-y projects Sarah!

I, too, enjoy Valentine's Day a lot! I've always collected heart things, so it seems natural that I enjoy decorating for this holiday! We put cut-out hearts on the windows, hang heart-y garlands about, display vintage valentines in an old photo holder, and nestle some folk hearts and doves in the lighted evergreen garland on the mantle. We make heart-shaped homemade pizzas, heart-shaped black cherry tarts, and cookies...we really enjoy celebrating LOVE! We've also been enjoying David Crowder Band's song "How He Loves". Great song! Thanks to each of you for sharing your excitement about this special holiday, too! Merry Winter!

June
www.RubyJunes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  10:48:06 AM  Show Profile
Teresa,
Your post brought tears to my eyes. What wonderful memories. I believe that I have had more wonderful memories in my lifetime up to this point (54) than alot of people have in a lifetime. Always cherished. One of the sweetest things my husband ever did, was take me to the tea room for valentines dinner. They had a violinist, and everything was pretty with candle light, etc. It truly was a sacrafice on his part, as they hardly gave you anything to eat. He is the best! And makes me feel special.
Sheri

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com

The best fertilizer for a farm, are the farmers footsteps...
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  6:32:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Girls

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  10:45:33 AM  Show Profile
I finished four more handmade valentines last night!! I'm shocked at my own creativity, but they are turning out very nicely and I am proud of them!

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  4:45:34 PM  Show Profile
Okay Teresa! I'm choking up here just trying to type this post! What a memory, what a husband, and what a wonderful post to share with us. Thanks. Your stories of your husband are so real, so beautiful, so full of passion. I find those stories absolutely a tribute to your sweet man.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  4:48:40 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Marly, he was beyond one in a million, there wasn't, nor will there ever be anyone like him.

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  7:48:53 PM  Show Profile
For Valentine's Day my husband and I love to go the Round Barn B&B near the Mississippi River 6 miles south of Red Wing Minnesota. The beds are soft with down comforters. The food is to die for and the view of the bluffs are spectacular. Every guest goes home with a loaf of home-made bread. Dheck out their website: www.roundbarnfarm.com. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  02:20:51 AM  Show Profile
I too love Valetines day.... heck I love all holidays. I try to decorate for each.
Teresa you are lucky to have had such a love. What an amazing story to share.
Go to Top of Page

Perennial
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Bea
Southwest Virginia
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  05:22:38 AM  Show Profile
I'm still thinking on my ideas - but will be starting valentines this week. I usually make treats and special food for him. I haven't thought of a "surprise" yet though. I did give him an early one though - he has just returned from a business trip and while he was in CA, i made fresh peanut butter cookies and a card and then fed-ex'd them 2 day so he could have a surprise while away. He loved that!
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  1:28:07 PM  Show Profile
Teresa, thank you for sharing.
I wasn't going to do much for V-Day this year. But I've changed my mind.
You never know how many more you'll get.

Blessings, staci
: )
...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord... - Joshua 24:15
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  7:28:11 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
This Valentine Day I will spend with my granddaughter who has moved a few hours away. Before I leave town I will deliver cupcakes along with other members in our chapter here in Klamath Falls to be delivered to the Womens Shelter. Something we felt would lift their spirits even for a moment.

Gail
Farmgirl #486

http://www.grammasladybug@blogspot.com
http://www.klamathfallscharmingchicks@blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mndreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Vicky
Popple Creek MN
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  1:06:06 PM  Show Profile
I was cleaning out one of my stash closets the other day and came across the kids old crayon bucket. So like I did when I was little, and years later when my kids were little, I shredded the pinks and reds and ironed them between wax paper hearts and hung them from all of the windows. I always loved those. A little old fashioned craft, simple yet pretty.

~Vicky~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God. ~~Ronald Reagan

Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  7:40:10 PM  Show Profile
You ladies made me realise I need to rekindle my romantic side! I'll see what I can do for Valentines day.....hmmmm....

http://www.pluckyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.mandochicks.com
http://mandolinbabe.net
http://www.mandolinbabe.com
http://www.mtndulcimer.com

@MandolinChick on Twitter
fingerpickin Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  7:42:44 PM  Show Profile
Teresa that was the most romantic thing I've ever read....made my eyes water....

http://www.pluckyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.mandochicks.com
http://mandolinbabe.net
http://www.mandolinbabe.com
http://www.mtndulcimer.com

@MandolinChick on Twitter
fingerpickin Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic Valentines Day Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly