Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  4:35:25 PM  Show Profile
I like to give gifts to those people that serve God and kinda get over looked. This is the man that locks and unlocks the church everyday. Not just a couple doors but all of them. If there is an unplanned practice and the sound booth needs unlocked just give him a call and he will be right there. He is in his 80s and walks with a limp but up and down those stairs he goes.
I would like to leave it for him like a secret santa so something other than food. (Dont want a critter getn it)
Please any ideas would be wonderful, preferrably handmade but all ideas are needed

Learning to appreciate having a glass..not half full or empty..just thankful for a glass :)

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  4:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
What about gloves and hat? Do you see what kind of warm hat he wears? My daddy was particular so if we got the kind he wanted he was thrilled with a new hat. I think men always need gloves.

Linda in Scranton, PA

Edited by - yarnmamma on Dec 10 2009 4:46:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  6:21:45 PM  Show Profile
or a scarf....guys always like those....or a jar of homemade jam...

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  6:41:28 PM  Show Profile
How about an invite for a good home cooked meal??
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  08:21:59 AM  Show Profile
Or a nice book of devotions...or a bible cover, or some really nice alpaca socks (padded foot!)..I know you said handmade, but other than food for an 80 year old (man) it's kindof tough. Especially in Florida where I would imagine woolens aren't necessarily needed.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  4:15:41 PM  Show Profile
Nothing says thank you than a homemade pie or square/cookie tray. When they are older, I find that they really don't want anything that they keep rather something that was made from the heart. I do find men hard to buy or find a gift at Christmas for. I ran into the same problem with a "man" gift for a family Christmas. Why are they so difficult sometimes? Good Luck, let us know what you did. God Bless.
Barb
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  6:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Perhaps a rice bag . . . maybe he has aches and pains that would be soothed with the warmth of a rice bag.

One with a removable, washable cover . . . and a tag with "how-to" attached.
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  07:37:06 AM  Show Profile
Not homemade but a gift card might do the trick in a pretty greeting card. Slippers maybe?

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  12:09:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies. Why are men the hardest to buy for? My guy is so simple he is happy with pretty much anything. Now a days we all dont NEED much so I have to keep a pretty keen ear out of what he Wants (which isnt much) normally something the whole family could use. OK, back to the old man The rice bag seems like a good idea. Most people have aches nowadays. I will have to find instructions and such.

Keep those Ideas coming ladies cause MEN they are just so simple they are complex.

Learning to appreciate having a glass..not half full or empty..just thankful for a glass :)
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  2:39:06 PM  Show Profile
There so easy. Just sew a small pillow shape and fill with rice heat a minute or two in the micro.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  1:29:40 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Kayce,
Rice bags are SIMPLE. The ones I made to sell are a piece of fabric measuring about 7 inches by 13 inches finished (you need to add about 1/2 inch on sides that will be sewn. Sew up, leave a few inches open . . . this size takes about 5 1/2 cups rice. Then sew up the opening. I also make a removable cover with a tie which can be taken off and washed. However, that isn't necessary. For the bag I use heavier fabric such as ticking so it holds up better.
Heat in microwave for 2-3 minutes . . .
Hope that helps!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  6:25:46 PM  Show Profile
Kayce,
How thoughtful of you to think of him. I love the idea of a rice bag since he walks with a limp. I have made heat bags with feed corn inside also and they work well too. Whatever you choose I would suggest leaving a card with your gratitude. I think he would treasure knowing that you appreciate what he does and I'm sure he would read your card over and over. Keep up the random acts of kindness.

barnagainkristin

"Others Before Self"
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  6:28:07 PM  Show Profile
Oh gosh, I just realized this must have been for Christmas and I am just getting to this post. Hope you found the perfect gift and don't forget Valentine's day is coming up:)

barnagainkristin

"Others Before Self"
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic In need of Gift idea for a man Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page