lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  9:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
My mom would make fresh bread when I was a kid and it was the BEST bread ever - she'd also take the same bread recipe and make pizza dough with it. It was AMAZING. She would grind her own wheat berries and make fresh flour from it. Well, she stopped making it when we moved (it was a shame!) and then either completely forgot and can't find the recipe, yet she remembers the ingredients. LOL. Can anyone here suggest perhaps how much goes into this recipe? Heck, maybe one of you know this recipe because she didn't make this up on her own but got it from somewhere else... maybe the food co-op she got her wheat berries from... But here's the ingredients -- the honey was quite a strong flavor actually, and the bread took on a darker hue.
It was the best smell and flavor ever.

~~~~

Wheat flour (was from ground wheat berries)
honey
hot water
yeast
oil

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

http://maggielousdaughter.blogspot.com
(in construction!)

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  05:06:16 AM  Show Profile
Brooke,
I have been making all my bread for over a year now. You can get some really nice organic whole wheat flour in the store. Or do you want to grind it yourself? I have some really good recipes for whole wheat bread. If you want you can send me an e-mail and I will share it with you.

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  6:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I wrote you, Diane! I would probably get the whole wheat flour actually. I'd like to grind it myself but mom has the grinder and she was going to try and figure out her recipe again, so she's not about to give up her grinder.. lol

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

http://maggielousdaughter.blogspot.com
(in construction!)

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  6:28:57 PM  Show Profile
Brook,
I grind my wheat and I use the Prairie Gold Hard "White" wheat, but you can use whole wheat from the store too. For home ground, I sift the dickens out of mine to make sure it has lots of air so the bread isn't heavy. Anyway, I have this recipe that I have had for years and years - probably at least 20 - and I don't know if it would be any help or not.

Whole Wheat Bread
1 cup lukewarm water
2 tbsp butter or oil
2 tbsp honey
1 teaspoon salt
1 pkg dry yeast (I use bulk SAF yeast and that would be 3 tsp)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour or enough whole wheat to keep the dough light

Place all ingredients except flour in mixer with dough hook. (I proof my yeast first) Add flour 1 cup at a time. Mix untill all ingredients are mixes and begin to form a ball. Continue kneading on low for 8 minutes. Turn out onto floured surface (go to my website to see the Oklahoma Pastry Cloth™ for just this job!) and gently form a ball. Place into bowl with 1/2 tsp oil in the bottom, turn and smooth oil over surface. Cover with a damp towel and allow to rise until double. When doubled, turn back onto floured surface and form a loaf. Place in 4x7 loaf pan and allow to rise to double. Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown.

Don't know if that is close or not! Happy baking! :-)
Mary Beth - aka Okie Farm Girl

http://www.oklahomapastrycloth.com
http://www.oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog/?page_id=2

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread Recipe Help? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page