LisaTwo
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Lisa
Hampden Maine
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  11:07:55 AM  Show Profile
We just took in a very large stray male cat. He is going in tommorow to say goodbye to his two fuzzy friends, but in the three days that he's been here, holy smokes, my house smells so bad. Like when you walk in it just takes your breath away. While he's gone tommorow I need to clean. Any suggestions on products, bought or homemade, to get rid of the kitty smell?

Thanks,
Lisa

http://pinkporches.blogspot.com/

*And you know when the truth is told-- you can get what you want--or you can just get old.* (Billy Joel)

guerin
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Jennifer
Shandon Ohio
88 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  1:03:56 PM  Show Profile
i hear Nok Out is good for pet odors. Sorry hon, male cats are the worst about spraying (((HUGS)))
Go to Top of Page

thecatspyjamas
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Denise
Scottsboro AL
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  4:10:42 PM  Show Profile
I used some stuff called Anti Icky Poo (ha!) I think I bought it at www.catfaeries.com Not sure where you'd buy it besides online. It works, but it takes more than a day to clean it. (I had to go back a few times and re-clean to get everthing gone.) Good luck!!

Denise
artist, designer, cat rescuer, farm girl
www.thecatspyjamas.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  7:37:12 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, any where you find still damp, fabric, carpet etc, coat thickly with baking soda, let it sit for a day or two , it will absord the wet, scrap up/off the majority, and re-apply if still damp under neath, then re-scrap up, vacum , scrub with vinegar water, sometimes you have to do it more than once. Even when the boy becomes an it, the scent will still attract him to pee there. So repeat until you can't smell anything there. Good luck.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  8:21:36 PM  Show Profile
All I can think of is that song from the tv shows Friends. Smelly Cat, smelly cat, what are they feeding you?
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  08:44:35 AM  Show Profile
I have heard that even after they are neutered some still spray. We had a tom in the house and sometimes he would spray, usually when the neighbors cats were in heat and calling him out - we never let him out. I mixed up some spray that worked pretty good for him - alcohol with essential oils of rosemary and thyme. Put it in a spray bottle and shake it up. Would spray by the windows and doors and any other spot he would be attracted to. It smells fresh and clean to me and seemed to keep the cat from wanting to spray.
Hope this helps.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  03:48:47 AM  Show Profile
Whatever you use, stay away from the amonia based products.

I'll second the baking soda
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  9:26:14 PM  Show Profile
vinegar is the best thing I know of. We have 4 cats.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

JustAnAllAmericanGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Jamie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  07:13:47 AM  Show Profile
I've had cats for many, many years and have yet to find a commercial product that really works. My advice is to go with 1badmamawolf's advice.

The only other thing I would add is you can also try club soda instead of vinegar. It literally bubbles up the stuff embedded deep in the carpet and pulls it to the top. Then using an old rag just lay it on top, step on it to put pressure to pull out all the excess moisture and repeat as necessary. I have found this to be quite effective with all kinds of pet stains. Hope that helps. Jamie

www.JustAnAllAmericanGirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Smelly cat Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page