Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic front loading washing machines Next Topic  

sandi
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

fairview tx
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  06:10:16 AM  Show Profile
hi all! it's been a while since I posted on here but I need some help!! I need to buy a new washing machine and hubby wants to consider a front loader. Reviews seem to be mixed on whether they clean as well as top loaders - since I tend to keep my appliances until they die I would love to hear from any of you who have a front loader. Big purchase - want to make the right decision!! thanks so much, sandi in texas

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  06:19:03 AM  Show Profile
I like mine. It's a Kenmore, does 3 loads of towels, and large loads of regular clothes, and our clothes come clean just fine (baby clothes, even!) But the thing I dislike about it is that if you don't leave the door open after each wash, there is a mildew smell around the seal because of the water that collects there. We converted a walk in closet into the "laundry room" and leaving the door open all the time bugs the heck out of me because there are these nice sliding doors to hide the machines...that we don't really use.

I do love not having to make that trip to the laundrymat to wash comforters!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  08:01:01 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
I don't have a front loader, but the women I know that do, all have the same complaint...either the machines don't rinse well enough or it's that they spin so much water out that towels and heavy clothing begins to dry and starts to mildew or just smells bad and nothing they've tried has been able to change that. I've heard several of them say that to do it again, they would choose a different machine.

Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  09:19:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I really like my top load machine. I never really liked the front loads when I used them but perhaps I was using the cheaper end of the scale? I bought some refurbished Maytag machines from an appliance store. They are about 20 years old but look brand new! They are awesome. Their gears and such are metal and they are reall work horses. I can pile it full with towels and the washer won't even hesitate. I can probably wash more than 10 bath towels in it at once. I usually just grab a basket and pile it full, dump that in and see if I can add more. I still leave room for agitation and all, but I really like full loads!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  10:14:20 AM  Show Profile
I love my front loader. I believe it does get the clothes cleaner and I don't have to use as much soap. It spins out more of the water so they don't have to dry as long.

We do have to keep the seal clean or it will start to smell, I guess that would be my one negative.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  1:20:11 PM  Show Profile
I love my front loader. Our water bill is pretty high here, and we were able to bring it down quite a bit with the front loader. I do leave the door open though. Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  1:34:03 PM  Show Profile
I love my energy/water high efficiency front loader, but if I don't leave the door ajar, it gets mildewy smelling around the rubber seal

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

fairview tx
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  1:50:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for all the replies - looks like there are as many answers as there are machines :-) Luckily the current washer is limping along so I have time to do a lot of research. I usually don't get too involved with appliance issues but I am definitely picky about my washer. Will have to do more reading & such - thanks for the answers gals - really appreciate it!
Go to Top of Page

Becky Lynn
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Becky
El Dorado Arkansas
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  11:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Becky Lynn a Yahoo! Message
I have a whirlpool duet front loader washing machine and I just found oui recently that if I don't leave the door open when not in use, it gets pretty mildewy! And you have to put the clothes in the dryer right away because if you don't they will be stinky! Then I have to waste more electrictcy and water by having to rewash them. I can't wait till they finally wear out so I can go back to the regular washer and dryer!
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  11:46:02 AM  Show Profile
We have a GE front load energy star HE washer. I love it! It holds a ton and uses little water. I found by periodically running my sanitize cycle it helps with the mildewy issue some. I also made the MJ recipe for liquid laundry soap and i've had great success for the last month and have stopped buying expensive HE soaps.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

gr8tfulmom
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Sarah
South Haven MI
143 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  1:21:07 PM  Show Profile
We love, love, love our front loaders (Bosch nexxt, energy star/HE). Less water, less energy, more room, and they are pretty darn quick with a load too. The door does have to be left open, but our littlest was never tempted to get in before and now he's big enough that it isn't a problem (I know this is the reason some mamas don't like them).

Farmgirl sister #779

http://symbioticstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  08:22:17 AM  Show Profile
I have a front loader and I do not like it. When I felt wool I cannot stop it in the middle of the wash and check it and I do run the extra rinse cycle that cleans the rim otherwise it collects with anything like doggie hairs or whatever. you do have to leave it hanging open and it vibrates the whole room when spinning. My husband had to go down in the crawl space and put more braces in there. it still vibrates a lot. we bought the extra big drawer to set it up on so it wasn't so much bending but can't use it cause it makes it vibrate worse. so $180 drawer for nothing. my husband usually uses things and repairs things and we keep them forever but we bought this 3 years ago and he already wants to buy a new one cause he say he does not think it cleans the clothes well??

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

shepherdwagen
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Susan
Winterset Iowa
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  8:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Send shepherdwagen a Yahoo! Message
I had a front loader up until 2 years ago. I loved it, except for the fact that if you own one, you really need to reinforce the floor with 3/4 inch plywood, if you have wood-based flooring; OR have it on a concrete floor. Mine was on a wood floor and the seal had to be replaced, because of the vibration. I sold it when I moved from Oregon to Iowa. Now, I live where I've got a concrete base, so I'm thinking about getting a used frontloader down the line. I line dry all my clothes & it would sure cut drying time.

Susan in Iowa

"I've childproofed my house, but they keep getting in."
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  7:15:14 PM  Show Profile
I haven't read the whole post so this may be a repeat for you but....I have a GE front load and I HATE it!! It doesn't get anything clean and sometimes the towels come out so wet that they are dripping! I hang everything on the line to dry so it's not so bad, but if I used a dryer....I would really be in trouble. I have told my husband that if we still had kids at home I would have to get another machine because this one doesn't clean well enough.

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  7:41:30 PM  Show Profile
I love my front loader set. I've stacked them one on top of the other to save floor space....mine are matching whirlpools and they are worth their weight in gold. They use much less water than top loaders, and are kinder on clothes (don't wear them out as fast)...the loads are quicker, it has a sanitary cycle for when the dog messes up and I need to clean the throw rugs...no mold problem, all you have to do is keep the door open for a while, which really isn't that big of a deal..it's more energy efficient than my previous set....I just love mine, wouldn't trade them for anything!!!

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2009 :  6:11:09 PM  Show Profile
I also have the front loader set by whirlpool. Our last washer was avocado green and hubby had repaired and repaired it until he just couldn't repair it anymore. He had that washer since it was new(that tells you how old it was). I really like my front loader, clothes are clean, never smelled a mildewy smell but I leave the door open after wash is done until dry inside anyway. I always left the lid open on the top loader also until it was dry inside.
The only 2 small drawbacks I feel there are is: I can't just soak things in there so I can't dye anything unless I go to my friend's house who has a top loader, AND I can't put bluing into my whites. Maybe you can put bluing in but I don't because I've always put it directly in the water and not on the cloth itself so I'm afraid to ruin something.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!
I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2009 :  4:00:33 PM  Show Profile
Love my Whirlpool Duet - you can put 14 pairs of jeans in one load! The normal wash cycle is something like 30 minutes and the dry time is 20 minutes! Clothes are clean with much less detergent - as others have mentioned, for some reason grunge builds up on the seal, which needs to be cleaned periodically.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  4:25:30 PM  Show Profile
Depends on what you want to use it for. If it's just for laundry they're ok. If you want to felt with it, get a regular washer, you can't open the front loaders once they're started.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

Zereen
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Kimberly
Oklahoma City Oklahoma
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  6:57:29 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Zereen's MSN Messenger address  Send Zereen a Yahoo! Message
I have two messy girls between 1 1/2 and 3. I have a towel under their chairs to catch the food they drop. Unless we have friends over I only wash them once a month. When I had the top loading washing machine it didn't clean the towels well, but I recently got an HE front loading set and I cleans them great! I wipe down the rubber seal when I know I'm done doing laundry for the day so I have no problem with the smell. Sometimes the washer doesn't spin the clothes long enough. That's the only problem I have with it. I think it may be the setting I put it on??

{Deep in my bones}
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  03:55:14 AM  Show Profile
We have a Kenmore front load. Have alywas used and had one in the family forever.

We have had bearings and tub replaced so that now in all spin cycls it sounds like a rocket taking off,. TOO loud. And I clean the rubber hasket a few tiems a month.

Would buy another HE washer but would be curious to try another brand.

And for any of you ladies who have husbands who constantly bring home "stuff" in their poclets/ We have called the rapair man when a tiny allen wrench was caught in a line. I'm always washing tissues and hubby's ear plugs. So be sure to check pockets!

And I also don't like all the computerized chips and such in everything these days that cause the entire machine to fry for one simple little thing

I'd do a Consumer Report's search either online or at the library
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  08:59:31 AM  Show Profile
I have had both a front loader and the regular top loader. I will never go back to a front loader. My top loader is 23 years old and it did diaper for three children when it was new. We got transferred for a while and in the furnished home I had a front loader. I hated it. You can't open the door during the wash cycle. It didn't get things clean and you couldn't do a soak.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

fairview tx
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  4:53:50 PM  Show Profile
An update on the washer/dryer purchase!! First of all, thanks so much for all the replies - they really were helpful in the decision. I bought a Maytag Bravo set - it's a he top loader but with a very small agitator. I read way too many comments about the possibility of mildew smells on the front loader rims - our last house had water issues and I'll do anything to NOT have that smell in my home again!! The new washer is very water efficient and clothes come out very clean and much dryer than the old washer....dryer also has more bells & whistles than the old one and dries clothes very quickly. Plus, the anti-wrinkle cycle is amazing! Again, thanks for taking the time to let me know your thoughts! sandi in texas
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic front loading washing machines Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page