Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 keeping hens warm in cold winter months
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic keeping hens warm in cold winter months Next Topic  

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  4:23:13 PM  Show Profile
our heat lamp bulb burned out a couple days ago in the coop. the hubby and i have wondered if there are other alternatives to keep the hens nice and warm in their coop... it seems they still got a bit of frostbite on their combs even with the heat lamp and we don't want it to get worse. plus, it's rough on the old electric bill using the lamps.

does anyone have any alternatives to keep the coop warm?i figure we have to get it done quick since another cold spell is moving in soon...

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  4:55:48 PM  Show Profile
Have you looked back at some posts on this topic from earlier in the fall? There are lots of good suggestions...I'd look back in the Barnyard Buddies.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  6:35:10 PM  Show Profile
Grease their combs, wattles and feet and legs with bag balm or something similar, pack straw bales around the outside of the coop, especially the prevaling wind side, put up sheets of heavy plastic on the inside or outside walls, make their floor extra deep with straw and/or shavings, inother words what ever you can to stop any drafts, and killer cold from coming in.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

misspittypat
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

lila
osceola mo
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  10:13:45 AM  Show Profile
be sure and give them warm water; not steaming hot; but warm; also give them warm mash which is chicken feed with vegetable peelings either cooked on the stove or with hot water poured on it.

Lila
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  10:29:39 AM  Show Profile
great tips, ladies! i'll definately look into some earlier posts....

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  12:49:19 PM  Show Profile
I give my hens warm water and food during the cold months as well(and we are freezing here in georgia right now!) I also covered the window on the hen house with bubble wrap. It keeps out the drafts, is insulated and light can still get through it. Their house is definitely warmer, even at below 20 at night and the low 30's during the day. I bring the outside waterer inside at night to keep it from freezing and add warm water throughout the day to prevent the girls drinking ice cold water. I will say that they have stopped laying for right now, but as long as they are healthy and warm, I'm okay with that.
Good luck with your girls!

Karin

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
www.athreadofred.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  03:15:44 AM  Show Profile
Recently found out corn raises body temperature.

So you can add some of this to their daily ration

And bed down with lots of pine shavings
Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
Calaveras County California
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  8:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
We use bales of straw to insulate the chicken coop. And as long as the roost area is well insulated they will stay warm at night. Will be adding rigid insulation board between the walls of the new coop because it gets cold in winter and hot in summer here. I also make sure they have a hot meal in the morning and evening. In the morning I simply take some of the egg layer with cracked corn and add boiling water to it to make a hot cereal in a gallon bowl, and they come running when they see me. In the evening I give them buttermilk that I have heated up and then drink it up and seem to smile. I put a few dash's of hot sauce in salad greens and mix well and give as a treat and this warms them up as well. Have never lost a chicken in winter. Thankfully.

~Beth~

~MotherLodebeth- I was born in the wrong era~
Go to Top of Page

dixiecuz
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

patricia
cleveland ga
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  5:52:06 PM  Show Profile
a regular 60 watt light bulb will work i use one with a clip on light

Edited by - dixiecuz on Jan 30 2010 5:53:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  07:25:30 AM  Show Profile
When we lived in the hills(4,500 feet), we didnt do anything, but, keep warm water in their coop, and the coop was airtight, sometimes they would have frozen combs(ONLY the tips), they did fine...(We lived without electricity and hauled all of our own water, cooked on a wood cookstove and such)...

Farmgirl Sister #368
~~~**Terri**~~~

http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com http://frocksfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  09:00:45 AM  Show Profile
I use an electric dog bowl for their water in the winter. The water stays room temp. and faiirly clean. I add corn to their diet whe the temp falls into the low 20's.

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  10:31:18 AM  Show Profile
We have a heat lamp and light plus our coop is well insulated. It gets pretty cold otherwise and we weren't getting eggs and they do need to earn their keep

We have used a halogen bulb before for heat as well. I also heard the corn heats up he body when they are digesting.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic keeping hens warm in cold winter months Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page