prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  1:42:35 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a recommendation for an excellent dutch oven cookbook for beginners? any tips for newbies?

Also, I was wondering: can you substitute your dutch oven for crock pot cooking? maybe by putting the dutch oven in the oven on a low temperature for the day?

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  2:08:39 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth...I haven't seen you on here for awhile. I saw your name a lot back when I joined in Oct., then I didn't see it again until just a few days ago. Have you been MIA? Or have you just been on other threads? I always thought the name Prarie Princess was pretty, so I think that's why I've missed seeing you on here! :-) Oh, and Yes, you can use a dutch oven like a roasting pan and slow cook all day. I don't know about the cookbook though. I have to honestly say that I've not seen one.

Farmgirl Sister# 905
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  4:18:12 PM  Show Profile
Judy-

i suppose i could be considered missing in action! just busy. now that all my gardening and canning is done for the winter, i have some more time on here. i miss you gals!

do you know about what temperature to leave the oven at while slow cooking? i wouldn't want to burn down the house! :)

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  4:48:49 PM  Show Profile
Well now, let's see. If I do a turkey all night in a roaster I do it on 200. And that makes a perfect turkey. So depending on what you're cooking, I'd say to take it from there and just experiment. Hope that helps.

Farmgirl Sister# 905
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

Cowgirl Cocinera
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dana
Chelsea OK
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  6:26:40 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth,
Sometimes during the winter months I have to bring my dutch oven cooking inside to the stove and oven. I cook stews and chili in my dutch oven on the stovetop just like you would with any other pot. It heats up evenly and hold the heat for a long time. You can cook roasts, chickens or anything else you would cook in a roaster or big pan and just use the recipe you normally would for those foods. I cook brisket in it at 200 degrees for 8 hours (I ususally do this overnight), and it makes it real tender. Just google "dutch oven recipes" and you will find gobs of them online. Lodge also makes a nice beginners cookbook that tells how to season and care for your oven. Cooking in cast iron is very healthy too. Hope this helps, Dana

Cowgirl cookin' makes you good lookin'
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  1:51:23 PM  Show Profile
I put my cast iron dutch oven in the fireplace. the food comes out incredible.
Connie

www.NatureMaiden.com -Handcrafted Bath & Body Products that I make myself- including soaps, salves, lotion bars, lip balms, natural deodorants, body sprays, hydrosols, salt scrubs, and MUCH more!

http://naturemaidenbathbodyproduct.blogspot.com/(Business Blog)

http://flowerchild-lifeinthegarden.blogspot.com/(Personal blog)

Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  4:53:25 PM  Show Profile
Dana - is cast iron more healthy compared to other surfaces? Do you know why? hubby and i have been discussing how good or bad certain container materials are (such as plastic, pyrex, stainless steel, etc.). I've decided I've given up on bread pans or casserole dishes that are that non-stick stuff.... it comes off in the food. so I think pyrex and cast iron are safe bet for that. my hubby's been coming home with horror stories of plastic and aluminum containers... therefore we plan on switching to stainless steel water containers and have already switched over our drip stove-top coffee pot from aluminum to stainless steel. there are even questions regarding canned goods and BPA... so i'd be interested in cast iron.

Connie - fireplace cooking sounds incredible! wish I had one so i could try it out!

- Guy Clark

- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Cowgirl Cocinera
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dana
Chelsea OK
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  08:13:14 AM  Show Profile
Yes, it is healthier than most other cookware. There is a microscopic amout of iron that flakes off as you cook with it, which is a mineral your body needs. There is nothing toxic in it. There is an excellent article comparing the healthiness of using different types of cookware at http://environment.about.com/od/healthenvironment/a/safecookware.htm. At the bottom of the page under "Related Articles" there is some very good information about cleaning and caring for cast iron cookware. It does take a little extra work, but I really think it's worth it. It will be the last skillet or pot you'll ever need to buy if you care for it properly. Just like an old handwritten recipe from your grandmother, you can hand this cookware down to your grandchildren. Enjoy, Dana

Cowgirl cookin' makes you good lookin'
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  3:27:39 PM  Show Profile
OMG, Dana, I love your little saying "cowgirl cookin' makes you good lookin'". How cute! so true!

Also, thank you for the article... i'll store that with the rest of my good country info.

- Guy Clark

- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  4:34:44 PM  Show Profile
I'd say you could cook most anything that you would in the oven. I've made stew, chickens, pork roast, ham, pot roast, pan bread. I am thinking what to cook next. My family just loves the food. The flavor is SO much better than oven cooked food. The flavor is incredible. Check out my personal blog link below- i just made another chicken yesterday- and i have pics.
Connie

www.NatureMaiden.com -Handcrafted Bath & Body Products that I make myself- including soaps, salves, lotion bars, lip balms, natural deodorants, body sprays, hydrosols, salt scrubs, and MUCH more!

http://naturemaidenbathbodyproduct.blogspot.com/(Business Blog)

http://flowerchild-lifeinthegarden.blogspot.com/(Personal blog)

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic new to dutch oven cooking Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page