Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  12:03:26 PM  Show Profile
Happy New Year to all - Years ago I made German Cabbage Buns, a recipe given to me by an elderly German friend who has since passed away. The process took two days. The filling was made with ground beef and pork and shredded cabbage and other ingredients. The dough was cut into squares and the filling was enclosed. Then the buns were baked. I can't remember if it was the filling or the dough that needed to sit overnight. I also remember that the recipe made several and she treated it as the Mexicans do with their tamales. It takes a lot of work and is usually done for the holidays. I have lost my recipe and would love to make them again. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  1:04:13 PM  Show Profile
...how about this?
http://www.cookscountry.com/recipe.asp?recipeids=4186&bdc=50232

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  1:47:19 PM  Show Profile
ooh, those sound delightful! I wonder if you could freeze them after baking? I was hoping to find some excellent cabbage recipes so I can store cabbage and grow more in the garden (you can only eat so much stored saurkraut!).

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  10:20:06 AM  Show Profile
Karrieann - Those sound delicious, but they are not the recipe I am looking for. The recipe I used to make had more of a pastry-type dough. It was not crisp and flaky like a pie, but was also not like a bread. Thank you for the link. I am going to try these, but will continue to look for my recipe. If I ever find it, I will share. They are wonderful.

Elizabeth - I used to freeze the ones I made and you should be able to freeze these, especially if you can do it airtight.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  10:38:42 AM  Show Profile
Karrieann,
I've copied the recipe but would also be interested in Shirley's version when its found.
Thanks!
Sue

"You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.....
But you can be happy if you've a mind to. All you've gotta do in knuckle down, buckle down and do it, do it, do it!"
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  11:38:56 AM  Show Profile
There's a Ukranian immigrant who sells pirozhkis at the farmers Market. After reading the Cooks Country piece where it says it was brought here by German/Russian farmers I thought it might be those. There are many ways to make them--here's one link http://www.grouprecipes.com/81252/russian-pirozhki-cabbage-pies.html I'm sure you could google many more. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  9:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I make a cabbage roll that is hamburger, cabbage, onions, garlic, salt, pepper etc to taste and then I use regular homemade bread dough, roll it out, use a cereal bowl as a guide, wrap it the the dough and bake. They are really good, but I never let the meat mix rest over night. That would probably make the process easier but I usually just do a marathon baking session and try to get it done in a day. :D Hipe you find a recipe more like your grandma's :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  4:47:57 PM  Show Profile
I'm hoping to do my "baking marathon" tomorrow for these.... I'll let ya'll know how they turn out... hope to freeze a ton of them for lunches and quick dinners!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  06:29:34 AM  Show Profile
Look for bierocks recipes to find one.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/bierocks-german-meat-turnovers/Detail.aspx
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  1:44:40 PM  Show Profile
I'm baking them right now! I found this link with many more helpful hints, such as freezing and reheating info and alternative fillings!

http://www.americastestkitchentv.com/ibb/posts.aspx?postID=191679

- Guy Clark

- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  2:53:15 PM  Show Profile
I am making some too!
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  3:20:16 PM  Show Profile
robin - are you making them now? are we making them at the same time? how fun! maybe i should drive the 2 hours to come make them with you! :)

my first 4 are cooling and smell heavenly.... my mouth is watering.

i'm also experimenting, used some of the sweet dough to test out how well it makes a roll or biscuit... put them in a greased muffin tin... we'll see!

- Guy Clark

- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  4:02:34 PM  Show Profile
oh, they came out heavenly... my hubby was surprised - he loves that i will go to lengths to make us good food!

They also made excellent rolls! that sweet dough could be absolutely versatile... i think i'm going to go crazy and try all kinds of combinations of fillings, maybe even sweet combos like putting strawberries in the middle?

- Guy Clark

- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  8:05:14 PM  Show Profile
I did make some. I am making homemade dough tomorrow...tonight since we were out I used crescent roll dough. It was pretty good. My recipe used a lot of caraway....yummy!

As I was looking up the beirocks, I got to thinking....I have hamburger and onions and cabbage...why not? I had been planning to make cabbage with bacon and onions..another fave!
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  3:22:42 PM  Show Profile
ooh, i wanted to try the bacon cabbage fry with my homegrown cabbage, but didn't yield enough this time... next year! can't wait to try it!

caraway sounds yummy with the mixture! i'm guessing the difference between bierocks and runsas is the sweetness of the dough? i'll have to try the bierocks recipe sometime, too.

- Guy Clark

- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  3:59:39 PM  Show Profile
Dont wait for next year...go and get some cabbage. It will be on super sale soon for St Paddy's Day!
Go to Top of Page

cindi
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

cindi
sedalia mo
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  5:36:15 PM  Show Profile
i love runnza's and up in Nebraska they have a resteraunt that mekes them.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  07:22:19 AM  Show Profile
Wow - what a wonderful response to my querie. Thank you to everyone for your comments and to those who have offered links to go to. Please keep up the comments. I love hearing how all of you are doing with this project.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  4:52:36 PM  Show Profile
Hello - I'm so excited - look what I found - Aunt Leah's German Cabbage Buns. The recipe was buried in a file.

Potato Bread - In the evening, boil and mash 2 medium potatoes. Save the liquid. Dissolve 2 cakes of yeast in 2 cups of water. Add 4 Tbl sugar and 2 tsp salt. Make 2 qts of liquid with yeast, potato, and potato water. Add enough cool water to make the 2 qts. Put in a jar and seal. Next morning add 4 Tbl melted shortening. Put in a lg pan and add 12-18 cups of flour. Knead well. Let rise until double in bulk. Knead and cover and rise again. The set out. Rise about 1 hour before filling and baking. Roll the dough thin and cut into squares. Grease baking sheets heavily. Place filling in the middle and seal each into a bun. Brush with melted shortening or butter. Bake at 375 or 400 about 30 minutes.

Filling: 2 lbs ground round steak (may substitute 1 lb with 1 lb pork), 1 lb ground beef, 2 lg onions chopped, 6 lbs cabbage chopped, salt and pepper. Brown meat partially. Add onions and brown lightly. Add cabbage and seasonings. Fry and steam until juice has cooked away. If needed, add shortening.

These may be frozen and reheated as needed.

Again, thank you everyone for your help. I have kept all of the recipes and try them to test against those I remembered so well.
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  6:14:30 PM  Show Profile
That potato bread would be awesome with them, Thanks for posting!
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  5:40:38 PM  Show Profile
ooh, that's true!

- Guy Clark

- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic German Cabbage Buns Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page