Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What kind of car do you have?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What kind of car do you have? Next Topic
Page: of 2

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  1:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
Ok so hears the deal, I have a 2004 ford escape and stupid me I bought it new (wont do that again) Dear other half and I are trying to get rid of it and are trying to figure out what to get now. Does the car that you have now work for you and do you like it? Also if anyone has a subaru baja what do you think of it? (this is what we are thinking of getting but i am open to suggestions) thanks for the input in advance.

Valerie
Alaska Girl all the way
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Edited by - akcowgirl on Apr 03 2006 1:29:25 PM

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  2:36:24 PM  Show Profile
We have 4 vehicles -- DH drives a 3/4 ton pick-up, I drive a Chevy Tracker (convertible), ds drives an Eclipse (gorgeous black with black leather, his/her shift, sunroof, etc. -- I looooove it), and dd drives an Escape. All but 1 are paid for, all but 1 bought used from people we knew & trusted. Oh, we do have one vehicle we bought new -- a 4-wheeler.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  2:56:30 PM  Show Profile
I drive a '98 Ford Windstar minivan. Yep...total soccermom car..it is green and reliable and paid for. We bought it used in 2000. Husband drives a '87 Ford 1/2 ton pickup..real cute..stepside short bed..BUT a bigger bed and 4WD would be nice. I am sure he will get a new vehicle before I do.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Apr 03 2006 6:39:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

frontierlady
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

KY
57 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  4:47:07 PM  Show Profile
We too have a Ford Windstar. It's paid for and I won't have anything
else for awhile. I really like it out of all of the minivans.
I'm not coping you Aunt Jenny. I guess a mom's got to drive, what a
mom's got to drive.

My husband had a Ford Escape and it was really nice. We really liked
it. The farm got the better of us and now he drives a Ford Ranger
truck. It's not great on snow but it's great for hauling hay and
feed.

We really liked the Escape, why are you getting rid of it? If you
don't mind my asking.

Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  4:54:56 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello,
We have a 99 Dodge Intrepid. Love it huge trunk, 99 Jeep Sport 4wd, rides like a truck but my hubby loves it he 6'5", we have also had many other dodge, chryslar products and have loved them all. All used and paid for. I gave up vans when I went from 5 to 1 kid but it looks like there will be another one in my future I miss the extra hauling room.

Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  5:21:15 PM  Show Profile
I drive a 2000 chevy truck long bed crew cab(full back seat) with a cover on the long bed. It hold 6 adults. It Has A very long wheel base so it has a wide turning radius. Its a 1/2 ton with NO extras not even carpet, except we do have air conditioning. This truck is great for farm and family but not great when you pay $50+ to fill up!

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

Alaska farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

dorothy
skagway Alaska
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  6:06:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Valerie, My friend has a Subaru Baha(sp)? one of the older ones and she loves it. She used to haul hay and water for the ponys.You can stuff anything in them,including kids!. I had a toyota tercel for a long time till it blew up (200 thou. miles)! I could pack hay in it, Bags of seaweed,tons of flats of plants,dogs,cats,kids and tools.When it finally went capoote, I unloaded it and my dining room was full.My DH just bought a Toyota Tacoma 4 door and he loves it. I promptly christened it with hay and alf. cubes and spilled horse water! But he has given me the trashed older Nissan pathfinder.It smells some cause when we got married (9 years ago) my nephew put bird seed in the air conditioner and now I think its gone rancid! Also my DH spilled milk from a leaky milk jug getting me grocerys and didn't say anything for awhile.We now have a vanilla scent thing hanging in it but the smells all blend together.For some reason my soon to be 16 year old doesn't want to drive it (also a stick shift) go figure!! Subaru's are great tho.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  6:15:56 PM  Show Profile
Three vehicles here. I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado Z71 extended cab with a short bed. I got it with leather seats so dog hair and horse hair won't stick to them. Hubby drives a 2004 Toyota Prius, a hybrid car. I LOVE that car! I love it so much I plan to trade the old Buick we got from his mom and get another Prius before the year is out! He gets an average of about 50mpg, and it has GPS, a weird entry system, you don't use a key to make it go (you press a button marked POWER), it has great acceleration, bluetooth, a ton of room in it when the back seats are folded down, and more well thought out features than I can even name.
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  7:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
My husband drives a 92 Ford truck. I drive a Ford Freestyle...LOVE IT. You can actually put SOOO much in it. Great for hauling soap and making deliveries. AND it got a quadruple 5 Star rating on crashes etc.

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  7:17:53 PM  Show Profile
Valerie -

I don't have a Subaru Baja, instead I have a Forester. I bought it new in 2000, have had for 6 years now. I love it. Great gas mileage, handles wonderfully in snow, ice, slick roads, etc. It is the first Subaru I have had and I will probably get another when this one gets too old.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

rosebud74a
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Stacy
Maryland NY
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  7:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Send rosebud74a an AOL message
I have a Subaru outback which I got new in 2004 so I could commute to school(one hour each way). I have really loved it in the winter. It handles great on bad roads. I have really put the mile on mine 60,000 in two years. It seems to be holding up well. I had a Honda CRV whicih was paid for and I loved, that hanlded great on the bad raods too...not sure why I got rid of that seemd like a good idea at the time. I would love my next vehilce (after this one has broken down beyond repair) to be a hybrid. Ford has a SUV type hybrid that looks cool, didn't know toyota had one too, I will have to check that out. My DH drives a chevy truck..which is nothing special, but great for hualn' things :)

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt, 'This Is My Story,' 1937

Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  8:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thank you all for your input. There are a few reasons I am getting rid of the escape. First and formost is it had some problems in the begining that made me loose a lot of faith in it. The seats are uncomfy, its noisy, and a very rough ride. I had never had anything but a subaru before this. I has an 86 subaru GL that ran great for years till someone rear-ended dear other half. Then I had a subaru forester that i really liked but is mechanical issues then I got the escape. I think i really want another Subaru and really like the thought of the small bed in the back of the baja.

Valerie
Alaska Girl all the way
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  8:53:01 PM  Show Profile
We have a Chevy Astro van ('94) that we bought used for our business.At the time we ran a kid's camp and were always hauling equipment. You can get A LOT in an Astro. We also have a Subaru Legacy sedan ('97). It's our third Subie. Hubby had one when we married, we bought a wagon and now this one. We kept the others until the mileage hit about 275,000 and then they start to need things. At that point we'd definately gotten our $$ worth out of them! I'd like to replace the Astro with a Forester, but now isn't the time...I'd buy a Subaru without any hesitation.
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  9:17:28 PM  Show Profile
I have a 1986 Toyota Tercel 4WD station wagon. I LOVE it, but besides being twenty years old, it has almost 270,000 miles on it.

If I could afford another car, I'd love to have a Subaru Forester. I've had Subarus in the past and have loved them. Toyotas also have a good reputation.

Good luck in your search! Karin
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  9:49:32 PM  Show Profile
I must be the oddball here, I hated my Subaru. I had nothing but problems with it and was so glad to get rid of it. I now drive a 97 Honda civic and LOVE it. It's paid for and drives great, the only problem I have is it lacks room. I wish I could haul more with it. DH drives a 98 GMC 1/2 ton step side pickup. Nothing fancy but it's been a great truck so far.
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  05:42:02 AM  Show Profile
I have an '05 Toyota Prius. Love it, it is so roomy, traded in a Chevy Tahoe for it and I don't miss the Tahoe. Hubby drives a '97 Geo Prizm-it has about 50k or 60k miles on it. We haven't had to replace anything on it bought it brand new and it's been paid off for a while now. He also drives a work car and since it is our biggest gas hog it's nice that the gas is paid for by his work.
I'd like to get a truck eventually but I don't want diesel and hubby does so it'll probably be a long time before we can find something we both agree on.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  06:05:50 AM  Show Profile
I've never had a car that was less than 10 years old when I got it, and actually I went older rather than newer over time. For the past five years or so, since I got married, I've been driving nothing but Chryslers from the mid70s. I love them. We had a 1977 Dodge wagon which we drove from the east coast to the Rockies a few years ago. We slept in it at rest areas and grocery store parking lots, so no hotel reservations were needed. It was getting better than 20 mpg, and that was with a huge V8 engine. I'm fairly sensitive to environmental issues, and there's no way I would ever buy a new SUV, but if you can keep a piece of 30 year old machinery out of the junkyard, there's just nothing better than a big, powerful car. Rear wheel drive just feels better than front wheel drive, and it's easier to back into parking spaces. Honest. I'm driving a 1995 Geo right now, and while it is convenient and reliable, there's nothing to love about it. We still have the engine from that Dodge and I'm hoping that my husband will be able to successfully install it in our broken 1974 Plymouth this summer. I want my wagon back!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  07:27:09 AM  Show Profile
When my oldest kids were little and up until about 10 years ago I drove a big 9 passenger station wagon with wood on the sides...loved it!! They just don't make make them like that any more. I got a mini van only when I couldn't find a good station wagon..I do like my Windstar alot, but miss my wagon too...lots more space, and I liked the way it was arranged. I do look forward to someday getting a van with the seats that fold down into the floor though. Boy, the woman that thought of that was smart!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  07:53:04 AM  Show Profile
My parents had almost the exact same station wagons when I was little, and that's probably part of the reason I love them so much. It's bizarre that my driving experience is primarily that of someone 30 years older than me. I have had reason to complain about it sometimes, but my husband reminds me that I've always like living history museums. Not in my backyard, though!
Go to Top of Page

Paradise Creek Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Shellie
Oregon
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  08:45:10 AM  Show Profile
I drive a 99 plymouth grand voyager mini van. I love it because you load up anything in there ( I have even hauled one of our miniature horses in it.) the seats come out and back in easily. I have three little ones so a mini van is the only way for me. I would really like to have a dodge caravan though. But, mine is paid for and has reasonably low mileage and has been very reliable. We bought it used from an elderly man who couldn't drive anymore, he was the one and only owner before us (Great find)!! My husband has always wanted me to get a station wagon though. He drives a 2003 Dodge Ram P/U. He is always the one to get the new rigs. But thats okay, he gets pickups I get animals and flowers!!
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  09:50:54 AM  Show Profile
I have a 93 toyota corolla and love her. I think I will always have a toyota. Just so reliable and drives so well, very comfortable. Sorry just don't like American cars. One of my favorite smells in the inside of my car..wierd, huh?? But it always sends me to memories of taking off on a road trips with my girlfiends to visit eachother at college and going to music festivals in all over the north east coast..It was good fun..So it's a good smell...

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com
www.smallsqrl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  12:53:42 PM  Show Profile
I have a silver 96 Chevy Lumina. It is a great dependable car. It was not my choice of vehicle, but I needed a car, I was tired of looking. So that is why I have it. It is paid for, and I will drive it till it will roll no more. But my next car will be a hybrid or electric vehicle.
SO, has a Chevy dump truck, a Chevy utility truck and a little honda (civic, I think) It is his little run-a-bout car. It is great on gas and he got it for $200. He drives it more than either of the trucks, especially with gas prices as they are now.
We only use trucks when we need to haul etc...

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  8:45:55 PM  Show Profile
I drive a 98 Ford Explorer. We got it used with 50,000 miles on it. We've had it for 3 years and it has never been in the shop except for oil changes,etc. Love it except the ride is a bit rough, I think it must be a Ford characteristic.

My dh drives a used 99 gas hog Suburban. Nice vehicle with lots of extras but man, does it cost big bucks to fill the tank.
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2006 :  05:46:07 AM  Show Profile
My best car was a 12 year old Mercedes and I wish I still had it. MY husband has no mechanical talents and we moved to an area where you can not find a mercedes mechanic. Believe me a regular mechanic just can't work on a mercedes.
Even at the age of 12 with 280,000 miles on it it ran like a well tuned machine. Tight and smooth I would buy another in a minute. When we lived in Texas we had no problem and it was even cheaper to fix than a Toyota or a Honda.
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2006 :  06:45:06 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
I have a 96 GMC Safari, which I do like. Lots of room for the kids and their friends, along with any gear or shopping room. We have been able to haul rolls of carpet and lumber supplies. Several times a year we take road trips and the extra room to spread out really is nice after 12 hrs of driving. It doesn't get great gas mileage but I only average 20 to 30 miles a week. DH drives a 98 chevy truck during the winter months. However, during the warmer months he drives one of his other cars, a 68 El Camino or a 69 Camaro. He is a Muscle car buff. DH works in the Auto business and has always been able to find us a good deal on cars, and we have been able to stay away from payments.

Elizabeth

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  4:48:58 PM  Show Profile
91 Subaru Legacy. Had an 80 Subaru GL wagon when I lived in Sterling (AK), and an 86 (same) in CA. Never had a Baja, but my dh had a Brat. We love Subarus but they seem to die at 15 years although our current is doing well. 15 and ticking strong!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What kind of car do you have? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page