Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Barter™
 Christmas 2010 - Project #1 ??????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Christmas 2010 - Project #1 ?????? Next Topic
Page: of 3

Futters
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Michelle & Ashley
CA
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  8:46:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls,

I like suggestion of having a project a month. Do you think one month will give you enough time to create several of the same item? If we get it together, we can make many and barter or swap some of them as Christmas gets closer.

Please help me with ideas for projects that are simple to create and do not cost too much money. As the next month gets closer, if anyone wishes to post the same type of heading as above and then post what our next project will be, that would be great. We are in this together, so I don't want you to feel that I am monopolizing this topic. If a certain month's project does not interest you, not a problem. Stay tuned, as maybe the next month's will.

For January I am going to make pot pinchers or oven mitts. Is this something you would enjoy making and giving as presents? Here are a couple of pictures I found of styles I like. I am trying to steer away from the normal oven mitt and am going to use the Insul-Bright to make sure they are safe. I also am going to make them with everday prints, not holiday specific. This way they can be used throughout the year. (I'm funky like that)

So, please give me feedback if this type of thread is something that would interest you. We can post pictures as we work in order to share our progress. I personally like posting pictures 'cause then it shows you all that I am actually working on my projects and not flaking.

Have a good day!

Michelle
Farmgirl #760

Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity.
http://thetatteredquiltcottage.blogspot.com/

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  9:14:26 PM  Show Profile
What is Insul-Bright? Looks like a good idea.

"You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.....
But you can be happy if you've a mind to. All you've gotta do in knuckle down, buckle down and do it, do it, do it!"
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  04:56:56 AM  Show Profile
Count me in I think thats a great idea!!

Tina
Farmgirl #455
Go to Top of Page

Moodene
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

Nadine
Devers Texas
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  05:34:55 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Moodene's MSN Messenger address  Send Moodene a Yahoo! Message
This sounds cool to me..I am following..

Love me like I am. farmgirl #801
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  06:13:47 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I really like the ones in the Hot Stuff picture. I agree with you Michelle. If you are going to make something kind of ordinary, at least make it interesting with a different design. However before I can commit to this month's theme, how many hot pads will we need to make? I have another project in the works and want to make sure I have time to devote to both. Thank you for putting this together, Michelle, it sounds like an awesome idea!

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Futters
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Michelle & Ashley
CA
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  06:35:41 AM  Show Profile
Melanie,

This is not a swap. I had posted another thread on here regarding wishing to make more christmas presents for 2010 and coming up with ideas. (I can create, but severly lack in the idea arena). There were many ladies who posted and said they were in the same boat.

How many you make is up to you. I was just thinking that if you had the time and made extras that you could swap/barter some of them, but it is not required.

Susan,

Insul-Bright is a hot pad filler (batting) with reflective metals that reflect hot or cold and won't break down when washed. At our Joann's they carry it by the package or off the bolt.

Have a good day!

Michelle
Farmgirl #760

Edited by - Futters on Jan 01 2010 10:18:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

ijjie
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Joan
Knoxville TN
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  07:14:04 AM  Show Profile

Happy New Year Everyone!

Great way to use up some of my fabric scraps. Count me in!

Joan

One of the joys of life are friends! They take you as you are!
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  08:06:05 AM  Show Profile
I've already got my notebook page started first idea is in it, THANK you. Now
to start making. I made the pot pinchers for a pot holder swap and they aren't
that hard to do. Happy New Year Everyone. Toni
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  09:05:48 AM  Show Profile
Like this idea thanks!

Sue Feely
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  09:34:06 AM  Show Profile
This is a great idea. I have always had pot holder troubles though. Is there something just as safe that I could use inside the pot holder rather than insul brite? It is a tad on the expensive side for me right now, but maybe Walmart carries an alternative?

Thanks for sharing Michelle! I love this idea and no better time to start on next years Christmas things than right now! (Then you're not like me and starting in November with handmade gifts and rushing around til the last minute to come up with and make things.)

hugs,
Jess

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

guerin
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Jennifer
Shandon Ohio
88 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  10:37:50 AM  Show Profile
I think this sounds awesome, but can anyone give me a dummies version instructions? or maybe a link to some dummy version instructions. i can sew just fine, but i am not good at looking at a picture and figuring it out.

Thanks for the idea :)
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  11:08:22 AM  Show Profile
How many layers of Insul-Bright do you use in a pot holder?

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  11:17:50 AM  Show Profile
Nice Idea Michelle - I have used the Vanilla House patterns and like them (hot stuff). I came away from Christmas this year with the desire to make more gifts and to start earlier - Pot Holders sound like a great place to start. I have so many people that I like to do gifts for that it would be great to have stuff like this that could be ready "just in case"
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  11:32:15 AM  Show Profile
I had a hard time finding this post again after the initial one. I kept looking under the sewing section. Are all of the ideas going to be under Farmgirl Barter or under Sewing? Will the ideas be listed separately? I think this is a great topic.

Thanks, Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  11:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for clearing that up for me, Michelle! Sounds great! I know I can do up a few at leastso count me in too.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Go to Top of Page

vtstevens
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Virginia
Woodinville WA
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  12:25:49 PM  Show Profile
Hey Michelle. I totally love your idea of having a focused "project a month," and those of us who can, make extras to barter with each other to stockpile gifts for next year. Count me in, too.

A suggestion for next month, perhaps, is a "take along" sewing kit (or knitting, or crocheting). They are so cool, and wonderful as gifts, just like your oven mitts.

Happy New Years! virginia

I don't suffer from stress. I'm a carrier.
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  2:02:44 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to follow along with this. I am already starting a set of embroidered dishtowels. So this plan would fit in with my current New Year's gift plan!!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1692 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1692 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  3:48:25 PM  Show Profile
Michelle, This sounds really great. A project a month. Pot pinchers(Potholders) is a great idea. So does the dishtowels and the sewing kits. I was thinking about making alot of ornaments for a project for a month. Another cute idea is to make a small or medium wreath with a theme. Do one for a friend that likes to garden: attach gardening tools seeds etc. or a sewing wreath. These are really cute. Just some ideas.
Hugs,
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Futters
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Michelle & Ashley
CA
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  7:57:20 PM  Show Profile
Guerin - Here is an instructional page I found. http://www.savvyseams.com/apt/mitts.php#finger
Hope it helps.

Countryroads - I use one layer of Insul-Bright and double layers of fabric.

Doglady - I hope to keep it under the barter section, but they may move it on us. We will have to see. Also, I would like to see us use seperate threads for each month's project.

Have a good day!

Michelle
Farmgirl #760

Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  06:54:41 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, thank you! I have been wanting to make some hot pads for a while but wasn't sure how much to use. I guess I can get busy now :)

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  07:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I've been crocheting up a bunch of dishcloths. I really started doing that with the thought of starting an etsy store, but I like this idea way better.

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

Futters
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Michelle & Ashley
CA
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  08:35:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh!! Forgot to tell you that Joann's has their McCall's patterns for 99 cents. Not sure how long the sale is, but I picked myself up several for crafts. I purchased M5903 which has various potholder patterns. Just keeping ya informed.

Have a good day!

Michelle
Farmgirl #760

Edited by - Futters on Jan 02 2010 08:38:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  09:23:02 AM  Show Profile
Michelle great idea! I will be following along with you. Will you post a new topic for each project or will you keep them all in this topic line? I want to be able to track it. I have to get an apron made for my sister's birthday and then I will be making some of the pot holders. I got an apron from Lori for the Christmas apron swap that was the cutest and she sent me the pattern. It is called 'Four Corners Apron' from Vanilla House. My mom told me of a group that she was in many years ago before they had computers. They swapped addresses and did something like this but whoever was going to share the idea of the month would mail a copy of the pattern to everyone on the list. It was probably 60 years ago and she still talks about it and still has some of the patterns. I am sort of new to the internet and really appreciate when one of you posts a site that actually has the pattern and I don't have to search through a load of hooy to get to it.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  11:05:51 AM  Show Profile
This sounds wonderful, I love homemade gifts the best, I am not very good at making things but I put my heart into everything I try. I hope the snow clears up in a few days I'm going to Joannes and pick up a pattern. Thanks for the web site. I need hands on and pictures over written instruction. I really like this idea Michelle thanks for comming up with it.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  5:17:49 PM  Show Profile
This sounds like fun, I am going to try to make some, It will be nice to have this kind of stuff on hand for a gift, it seems everytime I turn around I need a gift for this or that.
Will we post what we have made?

Kelly

Kelly
Farmgirl #238
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  6:35:51 PM  Show Profile
Michelle is it ok if I play too. Are we posting pics after we have done project. I like this idea too!!

Nothing better then being ready with gifts when needed.

http://cinnamongirlsthreads.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Christmas 2010 - Project #1 ?????? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page