mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  07:47:38 AM  Show Profile
have you tried lentils? they are so easy to cook, cheap and good for you!!

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  07:48:40 AM  Show Profile
Amanda, Im sorry to hear that you are finding it difficult. I know life changes can be. Vegetarian food isnt expensive its actually very inexpensive compared to eating a meat heavy diet. Is it the grassfed meat that is causing the insult to your pocketbook?

Have you visited the hillbilly housewife? There are lots of recipes on there for vegetarian meals, and non-veg meals that are extremely budget friendly. Including veggie nuggets for the kids using seitan which is pretty easy to do.

Simple one dish meals are really something that makes the transition easy. Lasagna, tortelini with pesto sauce, beans and rice, homemade fried rice with brown rice is delish and cheap. My son inhales it. Homemade pizza, soups such as cream of potato, brocolli cheese, lentil, or golden noodle (our version of chicken noodle)scalloped potatoes with creamy sauce which I always serve with steamed brocolli, its a hearty yummy meal. We make mary janes sweet potato apple bake almost every weekend with veggie loaf, mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy. Add a pan of homemade stuffing with day old bread from panera and some fresh rosemary and thyme, maybe some roasted beets and you have a meal fit for a king and about as cheap as you can get. :) Bean burritos made with homemade tortillas use flour water and salt as the ingredients, some creamy beans from the crockpot and a sprinkling of cheese and some fixins and you have a very cheap meal, grilled cheese and tomato soup with a side salad? easy and everyone likes that. Anyway, I didnt mean to get long winded. You just sounded discouraged.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  6:23:39 PM  Show Profile
Amanda - it is hard, especially as it is just you and you have a whole family to provide dinner for too. The premade stuff is expensive, and grass-fed can be too. Or you commit to cooking a whole set of whole grain complements which might just be for you - hardly seems worth it. I'll let you know next time I'm driving down to Moscow - we could field trip maybe, still have a bit in the freezer but probably in a couple weeks
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  7:00:22 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls, I was just visiting my favorite two food sites www.hillbillyhousewife.com and also www.frugalabundance.com

These sites both offer excellent budget meal plans, including vegetarian meals, and also gluten free and casein free meals and lots of how-to ideas for pantry foods when fresh is a luxury you cant indulge in, using dried foods, an emergency menu in case of financial trouble, as well as some fantastic TVP recipes such as sloppy joes and a great lentil chili recipe that I havent made in a couple years but have been reminded of. Please check out these sites. There is a recipe for a cinnimon cake that calls for oil instead of butter or shortening, and no eggs. Just what you need "the day before payday" as maggie says. Even camping recipes.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  5:06:12 PM  Show Profile
Just stumbled across this looking for something to do with a can of chickpeas that I opened by mistake. http://www.vegetariantimes.com/2007/pdf/vegetarian_starter_kit.pdf
I think it would be useful to folks interested in "going veg" and also those wishing to cut out some of the meat. Food basics, protien info etc.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  5:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
AmyGrace, for sure let me know when you head down to moscow. Sarah thank you for the encouragement. I have talked to a friend who brought me some meat from her sons 4H hogs. And some beef too. I think it will be a slow change, but after talking to the family, they want to know where everything comes from now too. So I guess that is a good thing.That old saying Knowledge is Power really rings true , : )

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/justanotherhousewife
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  6:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Hopefully this will be of interest to some - I have recently started cutting down on meat, was not my intention, but in my endeavor to cut down on cholesterol and carbs (taking cholesterol meds and have Type 2 diabetes), I have found that I have drastically cut back on beef, pork, dark meat chicken and turkey. Fortunately we do have beef, pork and chickens from a local farmer, so yes I do know where my meat comes from and how it is raised. We (hubby and I), eat more fish, such as wild caught salmon, tuna and I live in Minnesota so am fortunate to have freshwater fish year round. I am also learning about TVP and seitan - both new to me. I use the TVP with ground beef and pork, which helps with the amount of cholesterol when we do have beef or pork. Morningstar has some great products that I love - and be diligent and read labels, there is truly good stuff out there at a good price, just makes your shopping experience longer. My goal is to lose weight, and get off my cholesterol meds. I began January 1st and to date have lost 11 pounds, I am rarely hungry and I am eating much healthier and find new recipes to trim the cholesterol and carbs - it is a learning experience. Sadly I should have done this long ago, but I guess I am my own worst enemy, since my change in eating, I have more energy and my swollen feet are gone - yahoo!!!! Sorry I have rambled on, please if any of you have any great ways you use TVP, tofu or seitan, please post, I am looking for tried and true recipes and uses. I appreciate the info. Good Luck to all of you on the quest for healthier eating and thank you.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  11:04:57 AM  Show Profile
Gail are you using the hillbilly housewife recipes for seitan and tvp? She calls seitan "wheat meat" because she didnt want her children shouting "More satan fingers please!" Those recipes are mainly the ones I use. :)

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  11:16:49 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Sarah Pauline - I have used some of the hillbilly housewife recipes for tvp ideas, but all my seitan ideas and recipes have come from my sister - "the seitan Queen", I think she should write a book. About 2 years ago her hubby was diagnosed with cholesterol over 300, she went on a crusade, and today with no meds his cholesterol is in the safe range, they eat very little meat other than wheat meat, she makes her own seitan and "doctors" it up with all of her yummy spices and seasonings. My hubby and I do eat fish, white meat chicken and turkey and use tvp to reduce our cholesterol intake in our meat based items. I recently have begun using tofu and will be making Tofu Ravioli tomorrow - if it turns out I will post it.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  5:39:21 PM  Show Profile
Wow, your sister SHOULD do a book. I know I have struggled with some flops. She should call it the Seitan Queen because that would just be funny.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  6:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Sarahpauline - I am trying to get her to start a blog - she has a lot to offer.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Phasing out meat Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page