Page: of 2

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  11:17:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Ladies I know some of you here dont eat meat.What are alternitives I could do to get my "meat vitamins?"
I watched Food INC the other night and have really had a hard time, I just cant see eating beef or chicken, and not wondering, was this cow sick, or beaten on its way to the slaughter without getting ill.
Ugh help!!

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/justanotherhousewife

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  11:25:19 AM  Show Profile
I don't have any answers, Amanda, but I'm struggling along too. I've found a local source for beef and I'm buying a deep freezer next week so I can purchase the grass fed beef. For chicken, I buy organic when I can (I always do now for beef too) and I try to avoid any genetically engineered stuff. I know when I eat out now, I'm always thinking "I wonder where this corn came from, what about this beef, etc." I'm making as many changes as I can here at home and trying to put my purchasing dollars where they will do the most good and send a message. I've tried to do tofu but I just can't get into it, unfortunately.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Eager Podcaster
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Podcasts at http://thefannyfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  2:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
I like tofu, the rest of the fam isnt so keen on it,lol. I just couldnt belive some of the issues this movie brought up for me.

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  3:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amanda- you can buy vitamin supplements to get the vitamins you need. But if you like your meat would suggest buying half or a whole cow from a local farmer/rancher. Go visit the farm and see how they are treated and cared for. I can tell the difference between grass/pasture raised beef that was ranch slaughtered and the store bought mystery meat.

If you really want to get off all meat and animal products you will need to take a B-Complex with plenty of B-12 and some vitamin D. B-12 is one of those that is found in meat and only rarely in non-meat food sources.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  6:12:56 PM  Show Profile
Ive been a vegetarian for nearly 20 years, my son has never eaten a single mouthful of any meat product. People are grossly misinformed about the need for meat in the diet. For one thing, if you are eating dairy and eggs you need to do nothing different. Most of us eat far too much protein. Morningstar farm has delicious veggie sausages and burgers. I often make a "veggie loaf" recipe which calls for a container of cottage cheese, equal measurement of rolled oats, 2 eggs, a packet of knorr onion soup mix and season to taste. I like lots of thyme and garlic in mine. Salt and pepper and then form into a loaf pan, top with an undiluted can of cream of mushroom soup (low salt) and some sliced onion. Bake covered with foil like a meatloaf. We have it every sunday. My son adores it and the leftovers make gorgeous sandwiches. I have also baked it without the com soup and then sliced it and served it in barbeque sauce. Yum.

I consulted a dietician when I became pregnant with my son and learned a lot. Mostly, what honestly wasnt missing from my diet. b-12 is really not a concern unless you are going vegan, but Alee is absolutely correct.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com

Edited by - Sarahpauline on Dec 31 2009 6:17:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  6:28:32 PM  Show Profile
I'm right there with you right now amanda. Though my main concern is what all is in my meat. It's kinda making me sick when i think about it. I don't know if i will ever cut out all meat, but i'm deffently making a change and eating less.

Karen ^_^

http://frommisstomissus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  7:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Thank you ladies. I have heard good things about Morning Star.

Karen have you seen food inc? they showed a processing plant that produces "filler" for ground meat. I think that may have really done it for me.

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  8:46:14 PM  Show Profile
eww no, i havent amanda. have you seen "meet your meat?" its by peta. which while i support their purpose i cant support them i feel they are a little too over the top.
honestly, i could have my own farm to grown and raise my own animals and know whats going on. its mass production that creeps me out. and its a real hot button issue for me when you find out all the "food" that is approved for human comsumption.

Karen ^_^

http://frommisstomissus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  05:37:22 AM  Show Profile
Amanda..I hear you LOUD and clear!!! Don't forget local farmer's market's though. The downtown Spokane one has a wonderful and reputable grass fed beef supplier...no fillers etc... We've been buying from them for years. They are family owned and operated. I've been so pleased.

I stopped eating chicken when I couldn't raise them myself. I may raise another batch this year..see see..

The food industry is so gross and corrupt that I have shifted to local-local-local as much as I can to supplement what I grow here....

At Huckleberries, there's a wonderful local tofu maker called "Small Planet" it is organic and comes in flavors!!! curry, bbq etc. VERY nice!

Sending filler free vegetarian to be cheer! ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  11:39:15 AM  Show Profile
Amanda - I know that if you combine grains and beans, etc. in certain ways it gives you complete proteins. Amaranth and quinoa are a couple of grains that have amino acids - something you would miss out on when not eating meat. The cookbook Laurel's Kitchen has a great section on vegetarian nutrition - if you want to borrow my copy let me know. I don't eat a lot of meat either but the family would holler if we gave it up so last year we bought a side of beef from a local farmer and I drive down to Moscow to the co-op a lot because their beef is local/trustworthy and also affordable.
The problem I've found with a lot of the meat substitutes is they are so expensive.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  09:46:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
No I havent seen Meet your Meat, I'll have to check it out.
Julia is the farmers market still going? I cant imagine it would be.Would you be willling to share the meat sellers info??
We are going to check out Hucks today. Amy Grace I would like to take a look at that book. Sounds interesting.

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  10:56:41 AM  Show Profile
Dangit - I'm never actually working when anybody goes to check out Huckleberry's. Anyhow - the farmer's market is doing a Thursday afternoon deal indoors at the Community Building through the winter, last year some of the meat vendors were there at least sporadically.

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  1:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Dont worry AmyGrace, I couldnt remember how to get there, : ) I'll have to check out the indoor market next week

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  6:54:19 PM  Show Profile
:) Just call and ask for me in the bakery I give directions all the time!! Although I'm off Thursday and Friday this week....

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  09:38:05 AM  Show Profile
Quinoa is a complete proteine. It's super good eaten warm or cold in a salad

We get our beef from the same person I pick strawberries from. Got our last order a few days ago. It's really nice to know 3 weeks ago this animal was still alive and on pasture not even 10 miles away.

You CAN taste a difference

We got our pig from the same guy and we do raise our own chickens but just for the eggs. For soe reason we don't eat a lot of chicken or fish. It's bad I know, but I'm sure the other two are making up for mass produced mega big poultry anyway.

And in all things ----moderation of course.

So here's some "food for thought" If you have ever watched those food eating contests, it's truly amazing and really disgusting at the same time.
I wonder what kind of condition these people will be in years down the line.....especially those who eat all those hot dogs or eggs. Blech!
Go to Top of Page

donna rae
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Donna Rae
Virginia Beach VA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  1:05:52 PM  Show Profile
I've been vegan (no meat and no animal products, such as eggs, butter, milk, etc.) for about 3 years now. I started eating this way for the health benefits and to get my diabetes under control, which worked! I get all the protein I need by eating beans, grains, seeds and nuts. As others have said, quinoa is a great grain, very high in protein, and cooks up beautifully in the rice cooker! I like to make a quinoa pilaf by adding sauteed veggies (onions, celery, peppers, carrots, peas) to cooked quinoa, topping with fresh parsley and toasted almond slices and a squeeze of fresh lemon. I make so many dishes with beans: chili (no meat), black bean burritos on whole wheat tortillas, beans and (brown) rice, curried lentil stew, hummus to dip veggies and pita chips into... we even made a mixed bean loaf with veggie gravy for Christmas! I'm one of those folks that tolerates tofu, so I tend to use it only in smoothies, 'cream' pies, and diced small in stir fry. I use soy or grain milk, soy yogurt, and dairy-free margarine. For baking, I use an egg replacer powder mixed with water as a substitute for eggs. You can always throw some almonds or walnuts on a salad or in cookies and breads baked with whole grains. I generally do not use meat substitutes, but Trader Joe's sell an addictive frozen Meatless Corn Dog! :-) It's not necessary to combine bean and grains in a specific way in one meal... as long as you are eating these items regularly you will achieve the 'complete protein' effect. May I also suggest the public library as a great resource. Our library is full of materials on vegetarian/vegan lifestyles. All the Best to You!

Donna Rae
Farmgirl Sister # 593
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  9:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
As a reminder MaryJanesFarm offers grass-fed beef by a very reputible rancher. Here is the website:
http://www.rockymtncuts.com/maryjanes/ We have cut back on using meat, but certainly havent gone Vegetarian. We have just learned to spend a little more on Organic Grass-Fed and use as more as a side dish then a main course.

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com
www.renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  11:48:37 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm. Interesting. I bought my first quinoa on Saturday - it's really tasty! I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm wondering about your take on fish. I read the other day that the only salmon that's really OK these days is the fresh salmon from Alaska. Do you ever go out to eat? If so, where do you go? I think I will still eat organic milk (I do tht anyway), eggs, yogurt, cheese, etc. It's also been suggested to me that I give up wheat. Sounds pretty overwhelming. . .

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  12:54:14 PM  Show Profile
I go out everywhere. Most restaurants have a vegetarian option. I dont ever get soup because too many places dont really know whats in it. And so many times Ive heard "well, there is chicken in it but you can hardly taste it" Imbecile.

Many restaurants are high fat, high salt anyway. Go with various pastas, sandwiches, simple foods. Indian restaurants always have lots of vegetarian options. Many chinese places will make you something special, like chow mein etc. And sushi is one of our favorites believe it or not a lot of it is or can be made vegetarian. If you are serious, gelatin is in a lot of foods and is made from the rendered skin of animals.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  1:46:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sarahpauline. I know that it's not easy to get started. I worked at Whole Foods for a while and know that they have lots of options and lots of assistance - but the closest one is about 40 miles away and I've only found one small market where I can get local organic produce down here in beef country . . .

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  2:11:43 PM  Show Profile
This has been very helpful, ladies. I am easing out meat for health reasons. Or at least cutting way back.Any recipes for a hearty bean chilli?
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  2:19:46 PM  Show Profile
Not sure if I should say this here or not, but the Whole Foods web site is a treasure trove of good recipes.

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  2:21:11 PM  Show Profile
Sarahpauline! Are you the one with that awesomely beautiful black Freesian that I have seen at the Texas RenFest???

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  8:56:46 PM  Show Profile
No, sorry. But I do have an awesomely beautiful friesian. :)

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  06:57:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
This hasnt been as easy as I thought it would be. So we are going slow with it. A friend from work raises pork, so she gave me some of her pork, we havent tried any yet. She also gave me grass feed beef, we have tried that and it was great. However, I would still like to do as little as possible, for me anyway.Another dilema with all of this is price,WOW is all I can say. I think ifI can do a better jjob this year at my garden and canning/freezing it will help defray the cost for us next year.Thank you ladies for all of your insite!!

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  07:38:50 AM  Show Profile
Chili-I make this Emeril one all the time

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/vegetarian-chili-recipe/index.html

However if funds are tight I do a simple one with just tomato puree (salt free)rotel,pinto beans, chickpeas cooked and slightly mashed, cumin, chili powder, a pinch of sugar and garlic and top with sour cream and shredded cheese. Dont forget the cornbread. If we are camping or I am lazy I just pour the cornbread batter over the top of the cooked chili (in the dutch oven) and cook it like a big dumpling. Then you scoop through the cornbread to get to your chili. Its great for camping too, no separate pan. We splosh our chili and cornbread together when we eat it anyway. :) Its good if the chili is super spicy and the cornbread is really sweet.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Phasing out meat Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page