Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 The Great Embroidery Thread (heh)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic The Great Embroidery Thread (heh) Next Topic
Page: of 3

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  06:12:00 AM  Show Profile
bump!

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  10:58:05 AM  Show Profile
Hello, Ladies!
I'm organizing a Farmgirl onesie drive for Haiti, which I have posted on Barter, Here's to your Health, and in the Stitiching Room. I'll be going to Haiti as a volunteer midwife, to provide full service midwifery care as well as teach local midwives. I'm organizing a onesie drive as part of fulfilling my obligation to bring needed supplies. The list of what's needed can be found at www.midwivesforhaiti.org/bring.htm. Included in the list is a need for onesies, and I'm calling on the Farmgirls to help!
Each volunteer choses a onesie, new or used, preferably newborn size. She then decorates it as she wishes- embroidery, fabric paint, applique, iron on patches- they sky's the limit. Just be sure the design is secure and also safe for older siblings. I can accept onesies ( Boy, Girl, Gender Neutral) and other supplies until June 15, 2010.
Thanks, Ladies, for reading this. I would love to have some donations from this thread!
~ Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  3:38:25 PM  Show Profile
Mary, what size onesies' did you want to include? Are we just to do newborn sizes, or should we do other sizes as well?

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  4:51:32 PM  Show Profile
Dear Brenda,
You can really do any size. Newborn will be great, and anything larger, the mom can save for later. I will be assemebling some gift packs as requested online with cloth diapers, pins, and two onesies in each. I can put a " big' and ' small" onesie in the kits I assememble. How many gift packs I can make depends on how many cloth diapers I get- two Farmgirls are donating cloth diapers already, and one is making gift packs to send me.
I know you have a lot of onesies- Girl Scouts, grandkids, Sunday School kids, etc, can pitch in if you have a group and the time to supervise. It's up to you! Let me know if you have too many blank onesies, and I can spread the wealth at my church Sunday School, lol!
Thanks SO much Brenda!
Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  06:11:03 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Brenda! In response to your question about celtic embroidery . . . a catalog that I've never seen before arrived in the mail a few days ago. It's called Keepsake Needlearts. It is apparently a sister catalog to Keepsake Quilting. There are some really beautiful celtic cross-stitch designs in it. Here is a link to the celtic pattern page:

http://www.keepsakeneedlearts.com/products/search/celtic.htm

Some of them are very beautiful.

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  08:45:16 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
I just saw the sweetest embroidery on Craftgossip.com it comes from Cornflowerblue Studio.blogspot and is a white on white piece. If you get a chance go over to craft gossip and check it out! I'm telling you girls it is tooooo ca-ute! I just love the white on white technique I remember this was popular during the 8o's at some point...I know I made several pillows using this technique. Just thought I'd share this and hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

"God made rainy days so gardeners could get their housework done!" unknown

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  05:17:58 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone embroidered on a Carhart jacket or a pair of Rosie's coverall?
I would like to get a jumpstart on looking a little more girly next winter, LOL!
Now that I've overhauled the pasture and palnted most of the garden, I have time.
What size needle would I use to embroder on either of the garments?
I'm thinking 3 strands on the Carhart and 2 minimum on the Rosie's. Probably start with blanket stitch accents.
Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  1:32:50 PM  Show Profile
I really like doing the "primitive" embroidery....looks like a little kid did it! I usually just make up my own pattern but does anyone have a good source for primitive embroidery patterns?

Thanks, Debbie

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  2:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Hello. Thought I would pop on and ask if anyone else is working on a sampler. I have been thinking of doing the embroidery badge and the homemade Christmas badge. So I am working on Christmas ornies and planning a sampler for those.

Plus I got a beautiful Quaker type pattern from a dear friend. Does any one like Quaker type patterns?

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

sw80689
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Sharon
Papillion Nebraska
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  12:28:09 PM  Show Profile
I love to embroider! I just finished a sampler on linen, turned out nice. I framed it in a aged blue frame without the glass. I just found some vintage towels to sew the days of week. The picture of the donkey is darling:) I just started a picture of the American flag with a neat saying on it. I also put a light fabric underneath to hide the stitches. Sometimes I have to MAKE myself stop sewing and go to bed on time!!
Blessings,

Sharon
Farmgirl Sister #1393
*We are all angels with one wing, the only way to fly, therefore is to embrace one another*
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  7:40:39 PM  Show Profile
For a great variety of embroidery designs go to www.weeksdyeworks.com and click on the designs button. there is huge long list there. some of them have primitive embroidery - you'll have to look through to find the ones that you want.

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  06:31:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jonnie...I'm headed there right now!!

Debbie

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  07:32:59 AM  Show Profile
Mary, you had a question about the light box. I do have and use one. It is really helpful to me, much easier than taping to a window and tracing, but that is an option. You could use an old picture frame with the glass in it (but no picture) setting on something, like wood pieces or cans of vegetables, or anything to stabilize it. You could easily make one with scrap materials. You could use scrap wood for a base, nailed together into a sort of square shape, even pvc pipe or whatever you had, as long as you could secure it together and place a piece of glass or heavy duty plastic or something on top. Maybe a piece of glass from an old picture frame would work. Just put a light bulb underneath. How you plug the light bulb in is another issue. There must be thingys to put a bulb in that are cheap and portable. Voila, you have a basically free light box. Mine is about 14 x 14, plastic, even the tracing surface, and about six inches high. One of those long under the counter bulbs with a battery would work great, as long as it was bright enough. I think they have them battery operated, you would have to check at Menards or a building store or Walmart. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  07:38:41 AM  Show Profile
to Aunt Pammy,
I loved the quote on the bottom of your emails "God made rainy days so gardeners could get their housework done" I think that is a sampler waiting to be made!
Julie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic The Great Embroidery Thread (heh) Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page