Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 The Great Embroidery Thread (heh)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic The Great Embroidery Thread (heh) Next Topic
Page: of 3

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  11:16:55 AM  Show Profile
I think Nancy Jo has embroidered on the old linen napkins and damask type napkins that can be found at the thrift shops and antique shops...you might ask her about it.
I'll have to get back into some embroidery work too...haven't done any in a while, but it is a fun and easy craft.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  3:30:16 PM  Show Profile
I have a baby craft book, and it shows making burp cloths by embroidering onto reclained cloth napkins of all sorts, withou any special backing. I think it would depend on the type and age of fabric, lol!
~ Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  8:45:25 PM  Show Profile
I would like to do the merit badges. But, I really don't like the towels in the Idea Book. I know that's bad but I just don't like them. Can you use different patterns if you do the same number and they are equally complicated? Yes, and I do love turquoise and yellow. Might try that. I got the thread already and it is a beautiful bold turquoise can't wait to finish Mom's Cross stitch and get started.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  04:03:55 AM  Show Profile
quote:
I think Nancy Jo has embroidered on the old linen napkins and damask type napkins that can be found at the thrift shops and antique shops...you might ask her about it.
What a great idea. I do have some linen napkins that I bought at the resale shop! I think they cost me a whopping $2.00 for a set of 6. I'll have to dig them out.

Perfect.

quote:
I would like to do the merit badges. But, I really don't like the towels in the Idea Book. I know that's bad but I just don't like them. Can you use different patterns if you do the same number and they are equally complicated?
Good question. I like the patterns, just don't know what I would do with the towels when I was done with them. They really don't go with my decor. Perhaps I could gift them. I'm sure part of the badge is transferring them to the towels.... I do have other "patterns" I could do that with. I have not done a transfer that hasn't been an iron on yet.

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  8:19:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh this is a neat thread :) (haha - pun intended lol).

I'm in the process of embroidering a blanket for my niece. It's taking me a while to do it, but I'm really liking it. I think I would have been closer to having it done (I'm just using a backstitch, satin stitch & french knots) if my sister hadn't decided she wanted it "poufy"...so, being (1) the people pleaser that I am & (2) very gifted in the "let's make things 50 times more difficult than they need to be" department, I sewed it all together like you would for a blanket, realized it wasn't all straight or anywhere near "workable", and had to wait a week to get a stitch ripper (& a few weeks later, found mine in the bottom of my pencil case. Grrr). But it's basted together, and once I get somewhat organized again (hopefully by the end of this week), I'm going to start doing it again. I really need to get it done. I'll try to post some little pictures and/or photobucket pictures. Ok, so neither Photobucket or Kodak are cooperating with me :( so I'll have to do it another time.

I have never done "freehand" embroidery & I would probably suck at it since I can't draw or make anything straight or the proper size unless it's already there. That's alright though - I prefer to "embellish" rather than create from the top of my head. Works better for me!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.
Go to Top of Page

MamaAcorn
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Maryland
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  1:42:30 PM  Show Profile
Yay for embroidery!
I am in the process of teaching myself hand embroidery through online tutorials/videos, books, and patterns. So far I have completed, well, nothing, but I have 2 projects started!
What type of stitch do you use to outline your designs? I see there are stitches called the Stem Stitch and the Outline Stitch. I have tried one of them (the tread is above the needle…I think??) but my control is awful. I have also tried the backstitch which I like, heh.
Has anyone done the Long Short stitch?? I would love to try that to fill!
Also, when I have my fabric in the hoop, when I pull my needle through I get holes where the needle entered/exited. Is my needle to large?
Thank you so much it is so nice to talk to other embroiderers!
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  1:51:43 PM  Show Profile
If you are leaving holes in your fabric you are using too big of needle.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  2:32:06 PM  Show Profile
Welcom MamaAcorn!

We're on the same page, I have my first two projects started too!

Just a little status on my sampler: I am picking out the stitches I want to learn and I am cross stitching a saying in the middle. I gave my husband a few of the sayings I was thinking about and told him that this will potentially be on our wall forever, so what do you think! and we decided on 'A joyful heart is good medicine' So, since I'm not going off of any pattern, I've started my cross stitch of the saying the middle of a large piece of fabric and I made a few mistakes, but I got some letters on there! And it's so cute, I'm excited!

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  2:34:36 PM  Show Profile
Cool, I am thinking of using the one from MJF's book that I think meg did. It will give me a place to start...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  10:13:18 PM  Show Profile
Hello Heather Ann!!!! After seeing your project in person, I would just like to say that it is coming along beautifully! And I didn't know this thread was here! I think this is great!!!! And I totally agree with, Mary, I think - I love red work but have nothing red in my house, so I'll be doing turquoise too! I think that's so funny. I can't wait to see how your piece comes out - you have to bring it next month to show us how it looks so far, and I'll have done something by then - hopefully, to show you too!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Mother Hen to The Knitty Gritty Farmgirls of the Inland Empire
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  05:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
Just as soon as I finish an apron for a barter-I am going to start my embroidery project. For my first project I am thinking of making a needle case. I will put a sampler type project on the outside and then i think I will add different "pages" for different needles and embroider their names...quilting, darning, etc., on each page.For the pages I was thinking of using felt...does anyone have any thoughts on this...should it be something else?

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  06:08:19 AM  Show Profile
Pam, I think that's a really cute idea. I've done a few needle cases (quilted, not embroidery) and have used felt. If you can afford it, I would highly recommend good quality wool felt not the cheap craft stuff. If you're going to do all that work on the needle cases, you don't want the felt of the pages to fall apart.

And, I'm with Beth although I do love red and have lots of it. Redwork would totally work, but I'm going to do my work with emerald green thread!

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  06:23:34 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
Oh yeah, wool felt would be nice.Thanks, I never thought of that. I have some old wool blazers that I felted for projects...hopefully I have a color that I can use.

I love the idea of different colored "redwork"...that makes every project your own.

A great big thank-you for coming up with this thread (lol). It is one of my new favorite places to stop by and check on everyone!

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  9:56:22 PM  Show Profile
hey gals!

My husband is having a late night with his friends to night, my babies are sleeping and I've been embroidering for an hour and a half and I can't stop! ahh!! so fun! help!

well, hopefully I'll stop soon and go to bed :) but I love it! I think I actually have this donkey done in time for my moms birthday! I'm shocked!

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  10:19:04 PM  Show Profile
Cool good for you!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  6:57:45 PM  Show Profile
I want to do the sampler for the merit badge but I don't have any patterns and am not very good with free hand work. Does anyone have any patterns or know a web-site that is good for sampler patterns. I think I have patterns for everything else but not that. I have just about finished my cross-stitch for Mom and am getting the fabric ready for my turquoisework. I can't wait to get started.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
Calaveras County California
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  9:50:20 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
Love making bookmarks and self design pieces for home and friends. Have never done links here so hope this works.
http://s921.photobucket.com/albums/ad57/MotherLodeBeth

~MotherLodebeth- I was born in the wrong era~
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  04:49:51 AM  Show Profile
I had learned to embroider when I was young....it has been many years though since I've done any. I wanted to brush up a little on my stitches before doing a sampler, and wanted to make a little something for my mom for Christmas.
I love this cute little cardinal pillow! I gave my mom hers then made this one for my Aunt who is in an assisted living facility. I thought it would help to add a cheerful touch to her room. My oldest grand daughter loves this and wants to make one just like it! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/

Edited by - LakeOntarioFarmgirl on Jan 12 2010 04:51:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  06:59:30 AM  Show Profile
oh brenda that is so cute! I love your pine needles and berries too, very nicely done! Don't you just love giving hand made things?

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  12:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
That is so very pretty! I just love birds and yes the pine needles and berries added a special touch...good job!Well done.

"God made rainy days so gardeners could get their housework done!" unknown

Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  3:00:44 PM  Show Profile
Very cheery !
Are those beads sewn on it too ?/ !

Hugs,
ZenGoddess/Southernplum
My life goal is to Simply - Simplify my life.
http://herbalcottage.blogspot.com
http://herbalcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  07:58:58 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls! It was definitely fun!
The branches, needles and berries were pretty easy....it was those darn beads that made me wonder what I was doing!!! The beads are snow, and I put less than there was supposed to be, lol!!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  1:08:06 PM  Show Profile
Brenda,

just saw your pillow...love it love it...very cheery and pretty too! I might have to start embroidery...
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  4:53:02 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Hart at www.sublimestitching.com is donating 10% of all sales to the Red Cross this week in honor of the people of Haiti. Her name has come up on this thread and I thought I'd share the news....
Mary LD
Texas

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  5:16:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info Mary, I need some things too!!!

Does anyone have a good US source for celtic embroidery patterns? I've been looking, but am not sure who's trustworthy! Thanks!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic The Great Embroidery Thread (heh) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page