Futters
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Michelle & Ashley
CA
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  1:36:49 PM  Show Profile
In reading many of these threads, I see that there are others in the same Christmas present boat as I am. My question to you all is:

Is there something we can do as a group online to encourage/work on together projects for next christmas. Is it possible to have like a giant swap of things handmade which we could share as possible presents to give? Or maybe a thread listing/pic showing items that you have made and given as presents for family members.

I may just be pipe dreaming, but there must be something we can do as a group.

What do you think?

Have a good day!

Michelle
Farmgirl #760

Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity.
http://thetatteredquiltcottage.blogspot.com/

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  1:45:26 PM  Show Profile
not pipe dreaming. I think it is a good idea:) You are so smart Michelle. I'm in and hope others join in on this.

Learning to appreciate having a glass..not half full or empty..just thankful for a glass :)
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  2:05:03 PM  Show Profile
Michelle I am so glad you started this thread. It is just what I have been thinking about. I think a swap is great and ideas posted will be great too. I have my thinking cap on so I will share everything I come up with. Hope we get lots of good ideas soon.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  3:13:40 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm, my 2 cents worth.. start a journel now with ideas for the people on your list, can include colors, sizes, etc. & don't wait till the 1st of Dec. to start. Figure out now who you will give to. If there are 12 people then do 1 a month focussing on the perfect gift just for them. If you have 24 you need to do 2 people a month, etc. Just a thought - hope it helps someone

Hugs,
ZenGoddess/Southernplum
My life goal is to Simply - Simplify my life.
http://herbalcottage.blogspot.com
http://herbalcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  7:18:13 PM  Show Profile
I already use my swapped items as gifts. I love making aprons, but, I only like one style. I had 4 that I gave as gifts. But I did purchase a little something, wooden spoons, metal measure cups and spoons to give along with the aprons. All the charms that I have swapped in the past year were made into either lap quilts or runners and gifted to family. The ornament swap I was in was also a great help. When family came to the house I told them they could take one hand made item off the tree.
I do have one family member that thinks my home made/had crafted gifts are cheap! I now give her money in a plain white envelope. The scarf I made two years ago, I seen in the dumpster the day after Christmas. Yes I took it out. Washed it and now keep it on the coat rack all the time. Last years lap quilt I made is now being used by the dog. I could have cried. Oh, and it is a hunting dog that stays outside all year! At least she will be warm.

I think swapping ideas is a great idea! My first item of the New Year will be crocheted casserole dish cozies. I will then make a hot pad/potholder or dish towel to match. Either crocheted or quilted. I keep all these items in a large tub in the basement. Come November, I start sorting them and putting names on them.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Noreen
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Noreen
Essex Junction Vermont
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  7:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Noreen an AOL message

I love the idea. I loved the liquid soap dispencer made from old canning jars. They were simple to make and people loved the. Next year I want to be able to make my own soap to fill them. I would love to share ideas. I waited way too long to create gifts this year. Thanks for starting this topic.
Noreen
Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  7:30:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kathy,
It's sad when someone treats a gift like that, its just rude. So why would you give $$$ to someone like that! !!

Hugs,
ZenGoddess/Southernplum
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  7:45:22 PM  Show Profile
If people only knew what really went into handcrafted gifts....Kathy that makes my heart hurt. Doggone rude people! Maybe she'd rather have Starbucks or Coach, but me, I'd rather have something homemade any day! Count me in on any future swap regarding this string!

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  7:52:00 PM  Show Profile
Kathy I am sorry to hear your efforts were treated so badly. I am lucky in that all my family members and friends recognize the value of something hand made and unique. Every year I make pajama pants for everyone out of fabrics that mean something to them. Peace signs for my youngest with beatles t-shirts, mouse or rat fabric for my oldest, butterflies for my sister, fish for my Dad etc. You would be surprised what great themes come in flannel. This year I did aprons, dishtowels that attach to the oven or fridge door, purses out of theme fabrics etc. I can post photos of the purses if anyone is interested. I did a quilt for my best friend and aprons for several of the female members of the family. I have a daughter that rescues small animals and I made hammocks for her to give out to other people in the small animal rescue world. We made pillows for the dogs to sleep on, and sleeping bags for the hedgehogs. Last year I made fleece blankets for several people, some with two layers tied together and some with two layers crocheted together. My sister has a friend that did beaded hat bands for my sister and I. If anyone would like photos please e-mail me or ask and I will post here. Oh, I also made a princess costume for my 4 year old second cousin. I don't have a photo of that. This would be a great place to swap ideas. I plan to start the work for next Christmas this month. My sister already found fabric for the first pair of pajamas.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  8:56:23 PM  Show Profile
Beth, I am really curious about the sleeping bags for the hedgehogs - do you have a pic I would love to see it!!!! I would love a hedge hog too !!
I'm with you on the PJs also ! I have mine on now, soft fleece with a simple ribbon tie, they have coffee cups on them and the saying " need coffee" had them on when my daughter stopped in and she laughed, then said every morning thats a "given". but they make great gifts and they are not hard to make. I have also made all family members fleece blankets, my DH took his out west hunting this year just so he could sleep, he said it was that important to him. well it does have elk or deer pics in the print. My kitty-Zen has had one since the day he came into the house he loves it. All grand daughters have one and every new family member gets one, I am gratefull that they appreciate them.

Hugs,
ZenGoddess/Southernplum
Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  8:57:55 PM  Show Profile
Michelle, is there a particular person you have problems matching a gift to or just getting the ideas for things to make ??

Hugs,
ZenGoddess/Southernplum
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  9:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What a great idea! I am making dolls for all the little girl nieces in my family, and the boys are going to get some sort of masculine but handmade stuffed animal.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  04:45:45 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I posted this on the other one, too. But check out www.oneprettything.com/. There are lots of great ideas that are easy and use things most people have just laying around. Fun projects for kids to do, too. I think they have things to make for the whole year of holidays. Have fun!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Futters
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Michelle & Ashley
CA
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  06:29:19 AM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies for all the ideas. I hope this thread keeps going.

I can create, but have trouble thinking of things. I did the apron and kitchen towels this Christmas. Personally, I am just looking for ideas on things to make and you're giving me a start.

Thank you again.

Have a good day!

Michelle
Farmgirl #760

Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  06:48:17 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
I make most of the gifts that I give out. I love the One prettything website. I also visit Craft Gossip alot and get alot of inspiration from there. I am so glad someone started this thread and hope we can exchange lots of ideas. This year I made the babies little elves and everyone else got fleece hats. They were so quick and easy that once I got started I couldn't quit! I am considering making the fleece blankets for next year for some of the older kids and maybe pj bottoms for the younger ones.The people that don't appreciate my handmade gifts get money and alas, no love...so sad.

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  10:31:34 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, I must say that I would not give any gift other than maybe a lump of coal or maybe the trash bag of wrapping paper from opening presents then it would be a perfect gift for your family member to throw out! Seriously though, I am so sorry that someone would have so little thought as to throw away your gift without any consideration for your feelings!

Michelle, On the Ravelry group I am in, we are going to be doing at least 1 project a month from now till Christmas and post our progress to encourage each other! Quite often our minds are simply not thinking of knitting scarves or such things in the middle of July! I would say make a list now of what you would like to make for gifts and then pick one a month to work on a post progress reports to keep each other going!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  2:01:56 PM  Show Profile
Monica,
One project a month is a good idea. And posting photos of what was made is also a great idea. Getting ideas from other peoples projects is the best idea.

The reason I give cash to that one person is because in my eyes, cash is a thoughtless. No need to stress over it. They receive the same amount each year. Nothing else. I don't even make cookies or treats for her. And, they can sit on the couch and watch everyone else open gifts. I am actually thinking of giving less money next year. But, I like to give. I like to make things. It makes me feel good.
My thoughts of gifts you don't like or need...regift!!Give them to a charity. I never throw away a gift. I almost never return a gift. I sooner give it to some one they needs and or wants it.

Michelle,
I do have one idea. Old photos... If you have a child that has moved out, put together a photo album of them as a gift. Or, maybe you all got together in the summer and a family photo was taken. Frame it an give that. That is the kind of gift that will be remembered for years and years. And besides, we all know some of those photos are so funny looking to us now.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  2:06:33 PM  Show Profile
I make 90% of my gifts, always have. As the family has grown older and greater in number my gifts have changed a little. But they are still well received and appreciated. This year I made gingerbread ornaments (using the cinnamon-applesauce recipe in the last MJF mag) for all the boys and ribbon angels for the girls (3 angels per girl). Each set was in the girl's favorite color or in some way done just for her. I did purple, blue, red, green, brown... Bows were chosen to match. Some had plaid bows for the country girl, some satin for the city girl, but each was different in some way. No two sets were alike. They all got a handmade fleece beenie cap and homemade lip balm in 4 different flavors. When I say all I mean from the youngest 5 year old to the oldest 87. And they all loved them. For packing I bought several metal christmas tins at the dollar store smaller for the gingerbread men, a little larger square for the angels. During the year I look for velvet dresses at yardsales. Bring them home wash them and cut them into 3 X 10 inch strips. Fold it in the middle and sew the sides to make a pouch for the lip balm. Tie a shinney ribbon around it and it's done. The beenies were all different also. I found fleece on sale and bought several 1/2 yard pieces. The ribbon angels take about 15 minutes to make, the beenies 15-20 minutes (that includes cutting time) and the lip balm I knocked out 200 tubes in an afternoon. I made about 300 angels, 200 tubes of lip balm and 52 beenies in a matter of 2 weeks. And I'm not one that just sits and works works works. I have to get up an piddle with something else every now and then. A long distance friend had asked me to email her the instructions for the angels so I have them typed with pictures on a MicroSoft Word program if anyone would like them just email me. I'll be glad to send them.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.

Edited by - EastTXFarmgirl on Dec 29 2009 2:12:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  2:46:38 PM  Show Profile
Victoria,
Your just amazing ! Thats alot to make, your ornnies & tree are beautiful ! Thanks for posting it.

Hugs,
ZenGoddess/Southernplum
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  2:50:50 PM  Show Profile
I am really enjoying this thread and the web sites and ideas are great so far. I have been thinking that a cute clothes pin bag with clothes pins would be original for some of the ladies on my list, but not all would use them unless they just hung some things in the laundry room. I have a couple of daughters that still hang out clothes. What do any of you think? Someone had posted a picture of a really cute one made out of a toddlers pair of overalls and I just loved it.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  6:32:51 PM  Show Profile
Cindy I will try to put a photo up here. My DD has two hedgehogs, Amy and Harriet. They are adorable. Just recently the North Texas Humane Society did a raid on an animal importer and they confiscated around 29,000 small animals and reptiles. I understand that about 1,100 of them were hedgehogs of various ages from newborn to several times Moms. The Hedgehog Welfare Society is hoping to get custody of them and will be adopting them out as soon as they are rehabed. So you might want to check into that if you are serious about a Hedgehog. They are very easy to keep as pets. Good luck.

Farmgirl Sister 572

Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  6:42:46 PM  Show Profile
Beth,
Thanks for the pic ! Nice work I bet they love their sleeping bag. Sorry to hear that story.
I will check into it !! Thanks again & best wishes to you all!!

Hugs,
ZenGoddess/Southernplum
Go to Top of Page

Futters
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Michelle & Ashley
CA
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  7:54:19 PM  Show Profile
Peapicker and friends,

I love the gingerbread people. That is something I am going to try. Can they be made way in advance? Will they go bad? Was that t-shirt paint used to create the faces, etc.?

While at Hallmark today, I came across this little box in the clearance section. It is a Party in a Box and includes a card, a hat, a noisemaker, a banner, a candle, and a bag of confetti.

So I was thinking of things to switch it up for Christmas. I could use one of those small Wilton cupcake boxes with an xmas theme and stuff it with say a small hand sanitizer, confetti, holiday stickers, I know Walgreens has little trinkets for just pennies, I just got a Cricut and could easily make a small banner, etc. It is not homemade, but is something unique. What do you think?

Have a good day!

Michelle
Farmgirl #760

Edited by - Futters on Dec 29 2009 7:58:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  07:11:04 AM  Show Profile
Michelle I used the plain everyday acrylic paint but the caps are the writer's caps. I got them at Hobby Lobby. I was afraid the Fabric paints would not stick. As far as how long they will last, I don't know. I don't see that it would matter if they went bad you can't eat them anyway. They dry pretty rock hard, so once dry I really don't see them mildewing or molding. I had thought about spraying with a clear acrylic but I was afraid it would ruin the smell. The smell is out of this world. It makes the whole house smell of cinnamon. I did include a little note in each box "FOR DECORATION ONLY. NOT EDIBLE". I did two batches. I used parchment paper to roll out on for the first batch and straight onto the cookie sheet for the second batch. The texture was more smooth in the first batch. I don't know if the parchment paper had anything to do with it or not but that was really the only thing I changed between the batches. The book says to press out the dough with your hands. I found that to be more difficult than I wanted to deal with so I used a large piece of plastic wrap laid on top and rolled out with a rolling pin. Then just pulled the plastic wrap off and cut my shapes. I also found that there is considerable shrinkage so use larger cutters. On the first batch I used some cutters that were about 2-3 inches to get different shapes (stars, snowflakes...) and ended up with 1-2 inch ornaments. I also rolled the dough out much thicker than the book stated to do so. With the shrinkage, the thicker roll gave the ornament a heavier more solid feel. Not quite an 1/2 inch thick. Add don't forget to put your hanging hole before it dries. You're not going to get a hole in it once dry. (trust me I know lol)

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.
Go to Top of Page

OKCookee
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Chris
Oklahoma OK
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  9:45:09 PM  Show Profile
I have already started a list of possible gifts for next year. One idea I found are fabric luggage tags. They could be made in bright colors to facilitate finding your luggage at airports, etc. I had no idea hedgehogs could be kept as pets. Wonder how they would get along with cats?

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest".
Matthew 11:28

Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  08:58:33 AM  Show Profile
They pretty much don't interact with cats. The tend to ignore each other. That has been our experience with the 4 hedgies we have had and the 6 cats.

Farmgirl Sister 572

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Christmas 2010 Planning... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page