Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Tea? Next Topic  

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  08:24:26 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Does anyone make there own tea? If so how do you do it?? What flavores do you do? tell me all about tea making! I really want to learn to make it myself. Is it cheaper or is buying it in the store cheaper?
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2009 :  8:26:49 PM  Show Profile
Channah,
I drink hot tea almost everyday in the winter and iced tea in the summer. I LOVE peppermint tea and will put some green tea in with it. I have made ginger tea with just a couple thin slices of fresh ginger, it really warms you up from the inside out. I had a mint patch with about 5 different kinds of mint and would mix different ones together, what ever sounded good that day. Catnip tea is good for a tummy ache, I would mix that with peppermint sometimes. My husband is not much of an herbal tea drinker so when he found one he liked it was so expensive to buy that I did buy the dried herbs and mixed it myself. I'm sure it would be cheaper to grow your own if you find what you like. Making tea is very easy, pour boiling water over your herbs and let it steep for about 5 minutes. I usually cover mine and do my peppermint a little longer, I like it strong especially when making iced tea. If using fresh herbs, just crush them a little to help them release their flavor. Sometimes I put honey in my tea if I have a sore throat but don't really care for sweet drinks. You can buy small amounts of lots of different herbs at the health food stores to find what you enjoy. Some of our favorites are peppermint, spearmint, lemon balm, catnip, rose hips (usually I can find these growing wild), and hibiscous.
Have fun and I hope you find something you enjoy!

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  7:21:45 PM  Show Profile
When I was having digestion problems I made myself a hot tea of apple cider vinegar and honey....it helped a lot. I saw a similar recipe adding baking soda, but I've not tried that....as far as 'regular' type tea, I have ordered some from adigo teas with good results. Good luck!

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  11:39:31 AM  Show Profile
oh Channah,
sorry I didn't read your post sooner,,,,,
but...
I too like to create my own Tea blends from the herbs in my garden.
Anything in the mint family makes a great tea as does Lemon Balm, Pineapple sage and Lavender.
One of my fav blends is Chocolate mint & lavender.
I dry all my herbs & store in zip-loc type bags but you can store them in canisters as well. I keep them out of direct light too!
I use a pinch of dried herbs, crush them and put in a tea ball then step in hot water for 3-5 min. You can actually get a 2nd cup of tea from your freshly used herbs but you will need to steep your tea a bit longer.
You can use fresh picked herbs for tea, you will just need to use more leaves as the fresh leaves are not as potent (in flavor) as the dried.
Also, and very important, do not use herbs or anything that any chemicals/pesticides have been sprayed on!
hugz & enjoy.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Dec 30 2009 11:45:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  1:03:38 PM  Show Profile
I dop drink tea but never made it myself :)
Maybe I am too lazy lol. Would like to try this someday. Maybe in the summer. I still have dried lavender and can I just use that too? Or does it have to be mixed with some other spice/herb.

Edited to add:
I am now sipping a cup of plain lavender tea and the smell is awesome, and the taste is nice enough lol. I guess it needs something else in it though...hhmmmm

The tea is tasting better now that is has steeped longer ;)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)

Edited by - dutchy on Dec 30 2009 1:49:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  9:12:26 PM  Show Profile
hahaha! oh Marian,
you are tooo funny...
Lavender tea is an acquired taste....very flowery. I prefer it straight with no sweetner.
If you have any mint try mixing it w/the Lavender. 1/2 & 1/2 to even out the flowery taste.
Also you can combine pineapple mint, lemon balm & pineapple sage for a great summer tea. Light & refreshing.
enjoy!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.

Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  10:27:07 PM  Show Profile
oh I've wanted to do this for a long, LONG time, but seeing as I'm in an apartment, It's a no go. although... I do remember mint growing like weeds as long as they have a little sun...

:) I know what I'm asking for for my birthday now! Thanks!

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  10:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you all for your help!!! Wow! I am sorry, but I forgot about this for a while. Thank you, Thank you all so much!!!
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  11:09:39 AM  Show Profile
Heather,
you can grow mints in pots on a sunny window sill.....as well as other herbs....I have 2 pots of different variety Rosemary in pots right now cuz they don't Winter Over in the garden up here in WA.
When I lived in Calif(Ventura CO) my rosemary, mints, Lavenders and other herbs grew as perennials,,, up here not so....most herbs are annuals....'cept lavender, oregano & some thymes & mints.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.

Edited by - katmom on Jan 01 2010 11:11:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  1:08:55 PM  Show Profile
OH the lavender on itīs own was not bad or anything, just need a little oomph.
Maybe will try to get some mint hhhmmm.
Mint and lavender sounds yummmmmm

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  5:01:03 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
that does sound good Marian.. You will have to tell me how it turns out.
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  06:32:25 AM  Show Profile
How are you ladies straining the herbs from your tea? When I lived in Germany, we poured the tea out of the tea pot , through a tea stainer. The flavor was great, but the clean up, not so much! I have had to accept that I am too lazy to do that.
I have tried all kinds of tea balls and strainers. My basic solution has been to use those individual use, flow through tea bags. The first ones I got were meant to close w/ a stainless steel clip, and then they started making them to hang over the side of the pot or cup. Yesterday, I was out of bags, so I used a small coffee filter that is meant for those one cup brewing things, shaped kind of like a funnel. I put the herbs in, folded down the edge, and secured it with staight pins! It worked great!!
How are ya'll straining the tea?
~ Mary LD
TX

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  07:48:23 AM  Show Profile
I am just using one of those metal type tea balls and it works for me :)

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Tea? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page