Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Creative uses for Vinegar Next Topic  

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  7:55:23 PM  Show Profile
I just read an informative article in the Kerrville, Texas newspaper. The article was entitled, "Four creative uses for Vinegar".
1) In the kitchen
Soak wilted vegetables in water diluted with vinegar to liven them up. If you were a bit heavy handed with the salt, add a touch of vinegar to the mix as a neutralizer. Try adding a dash of vinegar to the boiling water to reduce stickiness in pasta or a teaspoon of white distilled vinegar to any cake mix or recipe to improve moistness.
2)Green Spring Cleaning:
Vinegar works wonders in the scrubbing, degriming department. Most solutions for cleaning with vinegar include a half and half water mixture and sometimes salt or baking soda. To cut the lime buildup on a chrome sink or tub, add two tablespoons of salt to one teaspoon of vinegar making a thick paste.
3) Does a Body Good:
Soak your feet in a small tub of diluted vinegar and foot odor disappears! Vinegar also works as a facial toner, itch reliever, bad breath exterminator, and nail polish strengthener.
4) Pet Uses:
Vinegar is the antidote to catnip, feline kryptonite. Cats can be exhaustibly determined when it comes to adding artistic flair to your new armchair. Spray a diluted solution of water and distilled vinegar to your furniture (always text a small segment first). You can remove the stink of cat doo from the litter box by rinsing it with vinegar. For dogs that scratch their ears too much, rub them with a cloth soaked in pure vinegar. And to make Fido's coat gleam, spray a solution of vinegar/water to his fur.
The article was by Ashely Grimaldo, MCT

Now, as long as I have been with MJF I have read several postings concerning vinegar. The vinegar queen, to me, would be Alee.
I have learned more things concerning vinegar from Alee. Thank you, Alee.
I just thought I'd pass this article on.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  8:19:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Aww! Shucks Marly! Thanks!

Don't forget for those pesky urine messes (pet or toddler) douse in vinegar and it kills the odor and sanitizes. Let sit either until dried or wait five minutes then mop/blot up.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  11:16:22 AM  Show Profile
Alee:
My cats yak up hair balls on my carpet, would the vinegar not turn the carpet a different color? Just wondering about that.
Thanks.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  12:17:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Marly- test in a hidden place, but my experience has been that it will not. Usually Vinegar sets dyes instead of altering or diluting them.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  8:50:07 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
This is so neat! Thanks Marly!!!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  09:54:07 AM  Show Profile
Another summertime use for vinegar is sunburn. Put it on a cotton cloth and dab it on takes the red and the sting out of the burn.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  5:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
that sounds like a great idea!

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  6:30:43 PM  Show Profile
I have stainless steel appliances, and vinegar cleans them up even better than the stuff from the store!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  6:35:51 PM  Show Profile
this may sound silly, but I have found that (apple cider) vinegar and honey in warm water actually doesn't taste THAT bad, and is good for digestion. Give it a try!

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Creative uses for Vinegar Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page