Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Violet has hives, no fever, but incredibly fussy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Violet has hives, no fever, but incredibly fussy Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  11:03:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm a little bit worried. Last Thursday, Violet was the fussiest she's ever been (and for those of you who have met Violet, crying just isn't in her repetoire) but she was very needy Thursday evening and on Friday morning, when changing her dipe, Jus and I noticed patches of hives all over her little body. So, I called the doc, who said, "bring her in, because we're seeing this associated with strep throat..." so she goes to the doc, has all new hives in places she didn't before, but she has a) no fever and b) is her happy go lucky self, so they find nothing. Saturday, no hives, Sunday, happy go lucky Violet WITH HIVES. What's going on? I have ruled out food allergies, lotions/soaps, detergents...it's all the same. The only thing different is that she ate a Nabisco "Flip" cracker on Thursday day...but none since.

Does anyone have any experience with hives? How about in an infant?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  12:53:11 PM  Show Profile
Could she be getting into anything new is she very mobil even her own toys can set it going.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  1:13:33 PM  Show Profile
I had cases of hives a couple of times in elementary school. I remember because I felt more sick at those times than with any other childhood illness. Feverish, weak, miserable. But it wasn't connected to anything at all...just a passing virus or something. I hope that's all that's going on with Violet, it would probably be the best case scenario.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  3:52:03 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I don't know but I hope she gets over it soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  4:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I have heard of babies getting hives from allergies of things brought in on shoes onto the floor that babies touch. Keep us posted and let us know how it's going with her.

Linda in Scranton, PA
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  5:35:00 PM  Show Profile
Do you have your Christmas Tree up? My children and I are all allergic to Pine trees. When we are stuck in the house with them are allergies really take off. My daughter and I start to have trouble breathing but my son gets the hives. Just a thought.

Madelynne

johnandmadelynne.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  7:23:07 PM  Show Profile
I hope sweet little Violet is okay. Keep us posted. I'll say a prayer for her.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2009 :  06:12:01 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls. Amie, the doc mentioned your scenario--a passing virus. I'm hoping that's the case--a virus that's not super horrible, and her body is fending it off with hives.

But, she is upwardly mobile, that's for sure, and into more things than I can even keep up with. And, like most children I would think, she puts things into her mouth as soon as she sees them! Linda, that's a very good thought about bringing things in on shoes...and we have also been thinking about metals. I know that sounds weird, but she really likes keys, and it seems that she started with hives after playing with a friends keys at a concert. I was thinking perhaps a nickel allergy.

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2009 :  03:41:46 AM  Show Profile
You might be on to something

Nickle allergy is very common, and a young tender mouth may have indeed been the portal.

Glad Violet isn't letting it slow her down though.

Kind of puzzled about it happening more than once though

Could it be chocolate from that cookie?? Gluten? Wheat?

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2009 :  1:53:05 PM  Show Profile
Jonni-Is Violet breaking in any new teeth? When Levi was cutting his, he would get hives and sometimes a full blown rash. No rhyme or reason to where it would show up. Once the teeth broke through, no rash or hives.

Be ware of bug bites too. If it was that, it would do it over a few days and seem to cycle her blood stream....arms, then torso them legs, feet, etc.

I hope you find out what's going on soon. No fun for little ones to have yucky things like that.

hugs for you three!!
jess

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2009 :  2:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
How is she doing today, Jonni?

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2009 :  2:50:59 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
My childs doctor told me that too...it's been years so I just remembered! Hives or rash with cutting teeth!

Linda in Scranton, PA
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  11:59:01 AM  Show Profile
Poor Violet! I hope she's on the mend.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  6:38:21 PM  Show Profile
Hope Violet is feeling better today? How's she making out with the hives?
hugs,
Jess

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  05:48:20 AM  Show Profile
Hey girls! Just checking in after a whirlwind of a holiday--

Thanks for still thinking of little Violet...who, incidentally, DOES have a new tooth!!! She was performing her "dying swan" that she does when she's tired, at the nursing home while visiting Justin's Grandmother, and we noted a tooth coming through the top gum. This would be consistent with timing, AND what your doc's have told you about teething rashes. Weird to me that it was mentioned at our doc. Maybe they were so stuck on the strep thing they didn't even think about that....

We are still keeping keys from her, but the hives have cleared up, with the exception of a little one now and again on her temple. And, that little one is going to be walking VERY soon...she took her first steps 2 weekends ago, but didn't know it :) She had something in her hand and was super focused on that, and just walked from the desk to the couch (about 5 steps)!

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  06:23:16 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the update. What good news that is.
That is such a special time...learning to walk!
glad she is better!!

describe to us the "dying swan" sounds like my son who does a dramatic suddenly dropping to the floor on his back and stares at the ceiling refusing to get up...it's part of a temper thing with him though. lol

Linda in Scranton, PA

I see trees of green, red roses too. I see skys of blue, clouds of white and I think to myself...what a wonderful world.
Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  07:06:21 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad she's feeling better...I was hoping the hives wouldn't ruin your holiday.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  07:26:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Linda :) The "Dying Swan" is her trademark "I'm SO tired, but I still think there is plenty to see/do" thing wherein while you're holding her, she bends backwards from her hips (like a backbend) and gracefully throws her arms up near her ears like a ballerina in Swan Lake. She usually has her mouth open and "talks" her "Russian" to whoever chooses to watch her. She does it in the shopping cart, too, after a time :)

Amie, I was pretty worried about that, too...I'm sooo thankful that it didn't mar anyone's holiday. She seemed perfectly happy to go about her business, even with a hive or two, and we just tried to not stress over it. Next year will be better :)

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Violet has hives, no fever, but incredibly fussy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page