True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  01:15:21 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

Could we have thrifty living/voluntary simplicity under the "gathered up" forum? Seems like we have gathered up to achieve these goals just like a knitting group gathers up to knit.

Will look forward to hearing from you. Also, would encourage you to "google" the Voluntary Simplicity movement and also read a new book by Judith Levine that is called "Don't Buy It." which should be at your local library.

Connie

Texas Farm Girl

cozycottage

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  4:28:59 PM  Show Profile
I love the name of the Judith Levine book - I'm going to have to for SURE check in with the library - so I don't have to buy it!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2006 :  3:57:35 PM  Show Profile
Connio,

there is also a new book out about a woman's year without shopping. That should make an interesting read. She didn't buy new clothes, books, go out to dinner or anything frivolous for a year. In the process she paid off about 8000 in cc debt.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2006 :  4:16:12 PM  Show Profile
That's such a great idea! I have been living that way since I was a hippie teen. Right now, we're working on going non-plastic in the kitchen, I've been using cloth mentstrual pads since I was a teen and now am using cloth TP. We live on either just above or just below the poverty guidelines, yet we are not in debt and have iPods and computers, etc. ALL due to choosing where we want to spend our money - frugality is NOT being cheap! It's being informed and able to choose.

Also, I saw an interview and read reviews of the book mentioned above (I'm waiting for it to get to my library). It's not a how-to which some people wanted, but she seems to just tell what it was like for her. The author said one of her realizations was how we are losing the places (like libraries and parks) where we used to spend time as a community/ family due to the way we now live (Netflix/cable TV/take out food/home computers/etc).
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2006 :  6:14:45 PM  Show Profile
doesn't it make you wonder why we think we can't live w/out some of this stuff. We do have the computer, only for 2 years. We dont have an answering machine (dont want it), no cell phones(dont want it)although I do think about the cell once in awhile. I never wanted to get very "high tech" you know.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2006 :  6:38:28 PM  Show Profile
You girls are speakin' my language! I'd love to read the book about the "shop-less" woman...anyone know the title (Julie?)? Due to some large medical bills over the last few years our family really had to cut back. I tried to see it as a challenge instead of feeling deprived. AMAZING how much you can do without! I look forward to sharing ideas with everyone!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  04:39:44 AM  Show Profile
Connie, this makes a ton of sense to me. Some people think it's about money; it's not. It's not even about voluntary poverty. It's about the mindless consumption that we seem to indulge in here in our culture. We don't even think; we just buy.

It really is better to think first before we buy something. Is there a better, more efficient way? A way that impacts the environment less? A simpler way? A more self-dependent way? It really can be an empowering thing.

I look forward to hearing about the different ways people simplify.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  05:12:48 AM  Show Profile
when my husband first was DX w/ auto-immune we were beside ourselves & even with insurance from his job, medical bills & medication alone was overwelming. We had to RETHINK everything from soup to nuts.Money was at an all time low & thats when we moved into this 2 bedroom mobile home. I have made everything from scratch that I possibly could. Although I always kind of liked that a/way, now I had to do it. We didnt have ANY modern technologies to speak of for a long time & now its really only this computer. Our family has gotten so close, we went out to parks (that didnt cost), went on long drives or walks. We had to have animals so we purchased small one like hamsters, birds, rabbits etc. I grew everyrhing I could & my daughter loves to help outside. My daughter doesnt go to these big school/kind of like a coming out party, I guess, but SHE chooses it for right now. But Im glad because all I hear about them is how the drugs are rambit, girls getting pregnant, drugged and who knows what else. We've become a family unit stronger then if maybe money was not a problem & we were all going in different directions. I dont know but God has a plan for everything. Now were saving for our small little sheep & herb farm and it looks like it will happen. I wouldnt have changed a thing and we still live a simple life by most peoples standards & We wouldnt have had it any other way.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  06:30:15 AM  Show Profile
Abbusgirl, the book I am talking about is the Judith Levine Book. It's called "Not Buying IT, My Year Without Shopping". I just googled it for the info.
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  07:00:23 AM  Show Profile
This is very interesting because just yesterday on the Morning Show they interviewed a group of people who did this very thing. They didn't buy anything new for a year. They had some guidelines as to what fell into that category. Except for food and some personal toiletries (which were limited), otherwise they bought second hand and such. It was funny becuase Matt Lauer asked with somewhat of a surprised question, "So what you all are wearing is all second hand clothing?" I just had to laugh because I think he almost expected that the only kind of second hand clothes must be ratty and full of holes. If he only knew that everything that he deems unusable and passes on is second hand. Those would be good hand-me-downs!

One of the members of the group spoke up and said that the purpose isn't to not buy new so you can buy second hand, it's to cut down, simplify and be aware of all the junk that you don't really need. They don't watch TV very much at all because then they are not bombarded with all the advertising that creates that desire. So I was glad when he spoke up because I think the interview was taking it in the wrong direction talking about everything being second hand and such. They also considered themselves lucky that they could do this so easily because they lived in San Franscisco where they did have access to a variety of consignment and second hand stores. I didn't hear any of them mention yard sales.

Maybe it will be something more people will try now that the idea has been highlighted on national TV. Wouldn't that be nice if more people did this? Oh, and another thing Matt asked that I thought was so typical, "so now when your year is over, will you go back to regular lifestyles?" They all agreed that they would not because it's not just an experiment, but a change in life. (sounds kind of like a diet to me. I've not been too successful in that area either.)

I'd like to give it a shot, too, but I do have a question; I'm in the midst of party planning for our son's wedding - a family shower and the reheasal dinner and of course, the clothing for the wedding. How do you get around this while trying to not buy anything or anything new? Any ideas?

Thanks and God bless you this day.

In His hands,
Lynda L.

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  09:33:32 AM  Show Profile
FarrarFarmGirl- you can do so much that's frugal and homemade and recycling for parties and events. If you go to a party store, they may have some broken and unusable mylar baloons you could cut into strips and twist for streamer or make those paper chains out of (rings you tape together like we did as kids). Those would be nice without looking like you didn't "buy" them!

Could a theme of the shower be about the people getting married? You could use old embarrassing photos of them as kids and babies - scan and print (on the back of used paper) and cover the tables with them. You could spend just a few dollars on clear plastic used for tables (they have it at JoAnn fabrics in varying thicknesses). You could display their trophies, blue ribbons, baby toys and stuffed animals, decorated with new ribbons (from a thrift store), and used as table toppers, centerpieces, etc. Invitations could be a collage of scanned baby picures of the two of them. I mean, you could buy practically nothing and make it VERY intimate and personal. A real tribute to the couple.

If you really want to go community AND inexpensive, you could invite everyone to make a family favorite food and potluck it as a family event - but everyone has to provide the recipe on pretty recipe cards. The favor can be a fabric "envelope" full of these recipe cards - one for each dish. You can use vintage fabric, or fabric print of the local football team or colors if your son is a sports fan or hero, or it could be patriotic, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  09:44:35 AM  Show Profile
I really want to get this book and the library doesn't carry it. So I “Froogled” it and guess where had the best price………… Wal-Mart, I found that almost ironic. That is the one store that carries so much excess…They lure you in for groceries and you end up buying so much more. It is just so funny that they have the best price on this book, which is suggesting to “Not Buy”

Another random thought… I really am glad to see more people using thrift type stores. But one of my worries is, if more people start using the thrift stores that is going to mean less new items being sent to the stores to be re-sold. I know in my area we have 3 thrift stores and there are lots and lots of people shopping them.
There is always a huge line (20-50 people) outside one of them waiting for them to open. Also if you check out the license plates you find that a lot of them are not from the local area, not that it matters. But I wonder if they donate to any of the local stores. I have always looked at it as a type of trade. I take my items and then get different ones.
My mom was a thrift shopper my entire life and now it is “the thing” I can really tell that they just do not have the amount of stuff that they had a few years ago.
There are also so many folks that shop to re-sell on EBay or in stores and that also makes it more of a challenge.

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  11:01:02 AM  Show Profile
Bridge: Somehow I don't think we're going to run out of "stuff" on this planet for a long time. Considering how much used clothing, household goods, etc. end up in landfills and city dumps, I think there's going to be plenty to go around even if new manufacturing stopped tomorrow. There's a longer line at Wal-Mart and KMart in my town than the thrifts. Sometimes you can get prices there for new that rival used. I don't shop at those stores but I do shop at the thrifts and see the mailer ads of the "new".

Lots of people who shop the thrifts (here anyway) are doing it to resell at the local flea market, or sell in their little shops in Mexico. I saw a beautiful oval platter at Goodwill for $6 and knew it must be worth something. But I didn't want to spend the money that day. I saw it two days later on Ebay (said it was from Tucson where I am) already at $46. I think that's why some of the local thrift stores' prices are going way up. That is a bummer, but at this point in my life, I really don't need more stuff anyway. I shop the thrifts for fun. I get new magazines for 25 cents, but it's not like if they ran out tomorrow, I'd buy the new ones at $6 anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  12:50:43 PM  Show Profile
Re: Thrift store finds reselling on Ebay.

I've noticed this too, and I find it a little disturbing. Many of the thrift stores do it themselves. They are trained to spot potential collectibles among the donations they receive, and they set those aside for Ebay. I guess this brings in more money for the charity (Salvation Army, etc.)But on the other hand, people who shop at thrift stores because they don't have a lot of money aren't going to get a shot at the good stuff now. The past few years, I've noticed a lot more junk and a lot less of the interesting, older stuff in my local thrift stores. I guess that's a downside to Ebay generally.
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  1:00:15 PM  Show Profile
I love this line of thinking, I grew up and continue to follow alot of the frugal ways of living. My hubby likes to brag to people about how low our utilities are compared to those of our neighbors because of the things I've taught him to/not do.

One suggestion, for those of you whose library does not have the book that your looking for, do you know if your library does intra (inter?) library loans? My library will get the book from another library in the state of TX. It takes a little while but it's a great way to still get the book and not have to pay for it.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  1:31:29 PM  Show Profile
Re: Thrifty wedding plans

Rabbithorns had a lot of great suggestions, and I don't want to take away from the idea at all. But keep in mind that the time spent in planning and executing the wedding is an expenditure itself. If you get too caught up in making sure that everything you acquire is used or free, you may end up making the process more complicated and stressful for yourself. That's not really simplicity, it's just a different style of consumption.

I have a few more suggestions from my own shoestring budget wedding: we bought a nice new suit for my husband rather than renting a tux. He'll be able to wear it for years. My dress was a prom dress from a department store, not a real "wedding dress". Looked just as good, and much cheaper. Talented friends contributed a lot: My mom's friend scavenged wildflowers to arrange the bouquets and corsages, and my sister-in-law did the music. We rented a picnic shelter at a beautiful park for the reception, and my dad barbequed. The big day was a lot of fun, and very relaxing.

Whatever you do, have fun with it. It should definitely be about the people, not about the things.
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  11:11:03 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

This will be quick because it is 1AM. I am so inspired by all of your posts; let's keep this discussion rolling. There is clearly so much that we can learn from each other.

I am a librarian in Texas, and Interlibrary Loan can actually be used to get materials (usually at no cost) from all over the US. I would guess that most public libraries throughout the US would offer this service. Check it out!!!

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  11:52:20 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
My DH and I where able to have a lovely wedding, with out spending a ton of money. We paid $25.00 dollars to rent a public gazebo, in a park right near our home. We did rent chairs, but with a short ceremony that wouldn't be necessary. I was able to find a new tea-length, beautiful dress for just $25.00. I made my bouquet and my bridesmaid myself, with quality silk flowers. I only required to bouquets so the cost was minimal. For the buttaineers and corsages, my mother put them together using my grandmothers roses, wire and florest tape. My girlfriend, a very accomplished pianist, played the keyboard. We provided punch, and champaign, w/ cake. The cake was from a local grocery store bakery that made very good tasting cakes. I ordered it w/ white frosting, and a friend decorated it w/ some of my grandmothers roses. We eliminated the whole long reception. Opting instead for just a simple cutting of the cake and toasting, followed by a few minutes of mixing with the guest. Latter our closest friends and family, about 20, were invited to our home for a casual barbeque. We were able to find many ways to keep cost low, and still have a beautiful wedding.
We had many compliments on our wedding, and it really represented more of what my husband and I are all about.

Elizabeth

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  12:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Thrifty weddings, that was us too! I made my dress (probably spent about $100 on fabric and beaded lace for trim) We rented our college's chapel (an OLD church with beautiful stained glass, pipe organ and curved pews) and reception hall---for $100! The pastor who married us did it for free (close friend of ours), the pianist was a friend who played piano for our university's traveling music group, we had good friends who sang, my uncle did the photographs, I bought flowers from the local grocery store for the bouquets and had a friend make the boutineirs. The tuxes were rented, but hubby's was free. I also purchased the fabric for the bridesmaids/flower girl. It probably totaled $500 for everything. Our reception was just cake/punch and snacks, and we had under 50 people come to the whole thing.

(Cool thing about the bridesmaids' fabric, I worked at a fabric store at the time and got a MAJOR discount, got way too much and just this year am using it for my daughter's Easter dress...13 years later! LOL)

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2006 :  08:27:59 AM  Show Profile
I think my husband and I might have overdone the thrifty wedding thing - we went down to the justice of the peace and did it up, with two of the ladies who worked there as witnesses! I did talk to my mum, however, and it was okay with her - and she and my dad offered the money they would have spent on a wedding to us and we made this ol' 1875 farmhouse livable. It was what we needed at the time - money and a marriage - and we did get both.

My sister, however, had a wonderful wedding, and I loved every minute of it for her. I'm so glad that in most cases now ladies have a good say in what and how they are going to do things. And, I'm also thankful that my parents are able to see what is best for their kids, even though it might not be the same thing for each one...

I ordered the "Tightwad Gazette" books and I'm so excited to receive them - from talk here and on another thread, I think I have a thing or two to learn about good, simple, thrifty living. Thanks, all!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

MichelleTN
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Michelle
TN
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2006 :  7:21:22 PM  Show Profile
You can only shop at Thrifty type shops and not be frugal! lol I have found myself going to thrift type shops and buying tons because the prices are so "good". SO, I am trying to remember if I don't need it, I better leave it right where I found it.

Easier said than done!!!!

Hugs, Michelle

My Blog: http://tangledthreadsandknottedyarn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2006 :  11:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Thrifty weddings! I have been meaning to write something about my own. My DH & I planned on eloping. We had grand plans of a lovely east coast beachfront barefoot clambake with all our friends & family. Trouble is, we don't live on the east coast & had no money....plus had other, bigger dreams we wanted to save our money for ....so.....The big hurdle was finding a dress for me, because I am teeny tiny. Once we did, DH remembered a vintage 1920s tux tailored for his prom that he could still wear. Then, we decided to can the fancy plans of eloping out of state & get married at our church, just the 2 of us & the pastor. I ran into feelings (bad ones) about doing alone while both of our parents are 20 minutes away. We then decided to invite them to join us. Of course, as parents would & should, they insisted we include our siblings....2 hours later it had gone wildly out of control (and I forgot to mention that we were getting married on a Tuesday in January, and had given the first guests: our parents, 3 days notice!...what can I say, we're spontaneous!) Anyhow, 2 hours later we looked at each other, looked at our phones & said "ah what the heck" so we spent the next 48 hours on the telephone announcing that we would be having a public elopement if they would like to be there & to tell anyone else they know to come too. The lack of time left to plan left me with no time to FRET about details like flowers & candles ( I am a very detail oriented person in real life) What happened was this people came out of the woodwork to help. We ended up with 3 professional photographers, a videographer (he got a little drunk but oh well), a violinist & organist who all offered their services as a wedding present....80 people took the day off from work to attend our 2pm Tuesday in January wedding. Everything was a surprise, right down to the people who were there! As I was walking into the church someone came running up to me with flowers! Then over the course of 8 hours, more than 200 people joined us at the restaurant where my husband works, which does not even close on christmas, and it closed to host our reception for free. My boss offered to cater the event as a wedding gift & then at the end of the evening, our friends trumped us with a planned in less than a day all expense paid 5 day honeymoon! In total, we paid $5 for my DH to get a close shave & $200 for my dress. There are so many ways to have a wedding, and we plan to renew our vows someday, as origionally planned (beachside), but we were able to start off on the right foot this way and be on our way towards the dreams we have for our life together. That's my frugal wedding story! PS I wouldn't choose a Tuesday.

http://schoolstreet.typepad.com
www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  05:20:31 AM  Show Profile
These are all such great ideas and so insprirational. I am working on not buying so much stuff and love thift shopping. I tend to buy too much even at the thift stores though, like Michele said-I too am trying to remember if I don't need it-don't buy it. :)

Thanks for sharing girls and have a great day!

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  12:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Amie C.

Re: Thrift store finds reselling on Ebay.

I've noticed this too, and I find it a little disturbing. Many of the thrift stores do it themselves. They are trained to spot potential collectibles among the donations they receive, and they set those aside for Ebay. I guess this brings in more money for the charity (Salvation Army, etc.)But on the other hand, people who shop at thrift stores because they don't have a lot of money aren't going to get a shot at the good stuff now. The past few years, I've noticed a lot more junk and a lot less of the interesting, older stuff in my local thrift stores. I guess that's a downside to Ebay generally.

In defense of people who shop at thrift stores to sell on ebay. There is no thrift store out there that has an income requirement to get in. I do shop at my local thrift store to find stuff to sell on ebay. I do not do this as my main income but it is how i raise money for some of our family vacation fund. we would not have have the money to go camping or out of state with out this. You can find good stuff at thrift stores to sell, and obviously you shop on ebay or you would not know that the items you saw came from your local thrift store. If you shop on ebay do you ask the seller if they are reselling things? i don't mean to sound rude here but, maybe the reason you are seeing more junk in the thrift shops is because people in general are learning to recognize the value of their items and not just giving them away. I am sorry if i sounded rude here but it is a subject the i feel needs to be addressed. People do not seem to have a problem if as a seller on ebay you go to a outlet store and by stuff but if you go to a thrift store it is wrong in some way. Again please don't feel like i am attacking anyone here i really did not want to offend any one but i felt that this needed to be addressed.

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Edited by - akcowgirl on Apr 26 2006 12:54:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  1:46:14 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Valerie. To clarify: I don't have any problem with individuals reselling the things they've scored at a thrift shop, garage sale, or whatever. That's what antiques and collectibles dealers have always done. You see the value in things that others aren't aware of, and use that knowledge to make a profit. My husband does the same thing, buying used recording gear and musical instruments wherever he finds it and reselling it at specialized flea markets.

What disturbs me is when the thrift shops make it a practice to skim off anything they think has value before it reaches the general public. I always thought that was part of the service a thrift shop provides for the community - leveling the playing field a little, letting those of us who aren't collectors have a shot at picking up an antique, or simply getting the opportunity to wear or use things that are nicer than anything we could afford to buy new. Now it seems like the thrift shops are saying, "Our clientele couldn't appreciate this stuff anyway, we can help them more by selling off the good stuff to a specialized collector market and leaving them the crap. They should be grateful we provide them with clothes and household furnishings at all!" I'm feeling a little betrayed by my community institutions here! Guess it's my class roots showing.

BTW, I've never bought anything off ebay, although my husband has bought a few things. I just don't like it. But that's just my preference.
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  3:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
Just to comment on the thrift store antiques and collectables....
I worked for Goodwill for over 3 years and most people dont actually know what they do or what they are about. Its not about getting really cheap bargins, while of course its a definite plus, its about helping others. Goodwill will is there to help disabled and those less fortunate to find jobs and also provide training and employment for them. The money that you spend at any Goodwill goes towards these services. Giving people discounted merchandise is not the number one priority. When I worked at Goodwill we priced things at what we knew we would get out of them. For example while you may not pay $5.00 for a cast iron skillet, someone else will, and that is the target. There is an online auction site that Goodwill has and anything that is considered collectable or an antique goes on that site to get the most out of it....
the website is: www.shopgoodwill.com
and also to read more about Goodwill at their site: www.goodwill.org
I cant speak for other thrift stores about how they run things and their pricing, but i wanted to let you know more about Goodwill and how they operate.

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi

Edited by - sugarsfarm on Apr 27 2006 12:30:06 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Gathered Up: Previous Topic THRIFTY LIVING Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page