therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  4:04:02 PM  Show Profile
Goodwill actually has an auction site??? That's why we can't find any good stuff in the stores any more.

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2006 :  12:27:39 AM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
Yeah its been around for while, they just dont really advertise it very well...its still cheap prices to start off with, but of course its plus shipping and all that. Its worth a visit.

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

lvg4him
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Colorado
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2006 :  09:21:02 AM  Show Profile
Is it just me or is the title of the book different from "Don't Buy It." I have searched for about 30 minutes trying to find a book by the title "Don't Buy It" by Judith Levine. I was able to find the other book by her about not buying anything for a year. But it is a different title. Thanks for help in locating a copy of this book.
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2006 :  8:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
That is the book you are looking for. Someone got the title wrong. i think it is really called "not buying It" hope that helps

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  7:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Re: Thrifty Weddings
This is a topic I've been thinking a lot about lately! My boyfriend and I want to get married in the next year or so and we're not exactly rollin' in the dough! We're young, I'm 20, he's 21, we don't have much saved, and I don't have a job at the moment (just moved!)I've never wanted anything big and fancy. I want the focus to be on us, our love, and sharing this special day with family and a few close friends. I'd love to be able to wear my mom's wedding dress. First off, it would be a matter of fitting into it, second, it needs a good cleaning and fixin' up. If not that, I'd like to make one. I love the idea of a pot luck reception or a barbeque. You're guarenteed some good food, at least in my family, and it's free! No beef or chicken for me! haha! I really want an outdoor wedding. A park, a backyard, a cornfield, somewhere where it's pretty! I also think it's so special to have people you know do the things you would normally hire someone for. Like music and photography and food. Thanks girls for all the great ideas!

Much love,
Laura

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2006 :  06:21:57 AM  Show Profile
Today is my 28th wedding anniversary! I am always amazed at how many "things and gadgets" people have to possess to survive. For all of these years, my furniture has all been used. We did buy a brand new dining room table 27 years ago...so now that's an antique, too! All of our clothes come from thrift stores. I haven't bought a new purse in years....my last Etienne Aigner cost me $3.50 from Goodwill. Just because something is new doesn't mean it's better. I've never owned a dishwasher, don't use a dryer, have never had takeout food delivered to our door, and I cut everyones hair in this house (including trimming my own.) We rent movies, pop a big bowl of popcorn, and sit in our living room watching something we choose to watch. We take walks together, eat dinner together, and help each other out with problems. We all drive used cars, and work our butts off to survive. But most importantly, we're thankful for what we have and don't worry about what we don't have. And you know what? We're probably happier than others because we don't have huge cc bills and furniture bills, etc. I am not ashamed of what I have or who I am because of it. I look nice when I go out in my thrift store clothes. And when people visit this home, they feel cozy and comfy. I'm so glad there are other farmgirls out there who live like I do. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2006 :  07:11:06 AM  Show Profile
Happy Anniversary!!! You should be proud of the way you live, it's absolutly wonderful!! I don't do things quite like you (have a dishwasher and a dryer) but do try to hang out clothes when ever possible and even have to end my visiting with you gals soon as all the tomatoes from the garden are calling my name (should I make sauce today?). I wish I could live a little more simply and when I can get out of the rat race of a job I can work at it a little harder. Enjoy your day with a long walk and an appreciation for each other!!
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

grammagoose
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

sandy
exeter rhode island
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  06:19:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for your encouragement! I would love to hear more about living frugal "your way". Cleaning products, food shopping, do you have a garden, sewing??? Thank you!
Sandy
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  07:00:45 AM  Show Profile
Susan..sounds like you are doing things right!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  10:33:01 AM  Show Profile
Hey Sandy,

How are you? We're heading off to Rhode Island tomorrow. Land in Warwick and then driver over to Newport. How have you been?

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  1:54:44 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

Susan You are indeed an inspiration to me. Since I moved to my tiny farm in North Texas, I have been living more and more simply. I do not feel deprived in any way; in fact I have never been happier in my life. This was after living a life of excess for 23 years in Dallas.

I have no dishwasher, dryer, washer, or stove. I do have a landline telephone with only basic service for emergencies (no voice mail, call waiting etc-can't even get it where I live) because my cell phone is often unreliable in the country. I have a very simple 13" color tv with a cheap dvd player. I probably watch it about 10 hours weekly. My computer is a Re-Run from my brother and is not working at the moment. I use window units, fans and open windows (imagine that) to cool off, and if it's still warm, we just "deal with it." I have central heat but never turn it above 65 in our brief Texas winters. I wear sweats.

My water bill is never more than $30; my electric is never more than $130.My home is about 1,400 sq ft. I do most of my cooking at work on my lunch hour. We have a lovely, modern kitchen, and I let my employer pay for the utilities needed! Takes a little planning, but it is worth it.

I have been doing my laundry at the laundromat in our tiny town because I don't want to spend the $$ to have the grayline dug out at the house and have additional wiring added to support the washer. I go once a month and take mountains of pet bedding since I have quite a few animals. I like to change the dogs bedding every day. I can do 65 loads in 3 hours! I look at time as $$$ so I feel that this is a good investment of my time.

However, since we are in a drought, I have decided to start washing in the bathtub or a washtub using one of the stainless steel laundry plungers from Lehman's. I can then hang the laundry out and the excess water will go into the soil. A friend of mine in the same county has been doing all of her laundry outside all summer in order to water the area around her house. In the winter I plan to buy one of Lehman's nonelectric Wonder Washers and dry on racks on the enclosed back porch. I do have some potted plants, but at the end of the day, I use the stale water from the dog pails to water the plants.

I never go to restaurants. Once in awhile I have a weak moment and stop at a fast food place on the way home from work, but my rule is that I never spend more than $4.00, and I don't exceed $20.00 per month on this type of spending. I also never go to movies at the theatre, concerts (so expensive now), plays etc. As a librarian, I have access to all of the dvds, cds, books, and magazines that I could ever want for free! Our Main Library also has free movie Sundays that are lots of fun and many other programs featuring jazz bands, speakers, etc. I buy my clothes and household items at thrift stores and tell my rather fussy family to pass along their discards when they redecorate on a whim! Today I bought 3 blouses, 3 afghans, 1 "ducky" potholder and 18 bed sheets for $32.00 When I can't find the clothing that I need, I call a local lady in town who sews. Right now she is making an Amish style apron for me. It is almost like a jumper, and I am going to wear it when I drive in the heat. I know a bit about sewing but have no time. She needs the income so I feel that it is a win-win situation.

My car has no functioning AC. It is a 1987 Volvo wagon that I just love. A friend drove the same model/earlier year for 28 years! I am also getting a second 1991 Volvo wagon at the end of the year. My brother buys and sells Volvos as a hobby of sorts and just GIVES me the cars. Living in a rural area with no public transit dictates that I must have a backup vehicle.

I do not have time to grow food on my property, but I usually buy produce and also farm eggs from our local farmers. I rarely eat meat so it is quite simple to plan my meals.

Many of my Dallas friends think that I must be feeling deprived and/or bored. "Au contraire", I live a wonderful life!
Guess that I just wrote a book here, but I just feel so excited and wonderfully free with my new life that I like to share the "good news" about simple living. Guess that I sound like a missionary, and I guess that I am a missionary for simple living in a manner of speaking.

Connie
One Happy Texas Farm Girl

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

grammagoose
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

sandy
exeter rhode island
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  07:55:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Debbie,
I sent you couple of e-mails and no response! So happy you are doing well. I'm fine now, back to my old self. Have a great vacation!
Sandy
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  7:25:29 PM  Show Profile
I love this line of thinking... what I find frustrating is having to buy stuff so you can live cheaper. I have a family of six and it's hard to do it all off the green earth while working a full time job and my dh is very disabled so not too much help there. I'm in the process of buying a used tiller and washer that will help me out so much. I refuse to buy things new if I can get it second hand. I got VERY lucky, one of the girls at work has a very spoiled daughter who outgrew her clothes...guess who wears the same size??? I was down to two pairs of jeans and two very nasty looking capri's, I now have enough jeans to wear all week and some nice shirts. All the jeans were sold for $5.00 each and the shirts were $1.00 the money went back to her daughter who is now pregnant and living hand to mouth. The past few years I have bought my kids school clothes on Ebay. For the most part they look great and they are already broken in.

"The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." President Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  08:50:57 AM  Show Profile
I have a good system going with some friends and my sisters, a couple times a year we get together and do big kids clothes swap...you wouldn't believe how much stuff we can share. It saves us all so much!
I am dying to buy Judith Levines book. I went to Barnes and Noble and they didn't have it in...I will check out Amazon today.
Kate

http://theknifemakerswife.blogspot.com/2006/07/knifemakers-wife.html
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  8:43:10 PM  Show Profile
I'm with all of you! We drive used cars that we pay cash for, with the exception of underwear and a few things I shop the Thrift for me, baby and hubby. 13 year old gets new because it's hard enough being a kid these days w/o someone giving you a hard time about your clothes. Sometimes I sneak a few things in on him( ski bibs recently) but he is really very easy so it's not a fortune anyway. Just because some fickle person doesn't like last year's Coach bag doesn't mean I can't enjoy it and chuckle all the while because I paid 3.99 instead of 399.00! It helps to buy quality things that you probably would never buy retail because they are too much. I got an Anne Klein cashmere pea coat for 12.00 today and it was probably
over 200.00 new. We have a Thrift that collects all over and it doesn't hurt that we are not far from Princeton! It really helps to know what is good quality so when you see it you can judge if you are willing to pay the price. I once heard a woman bang down a tray that was marked 5.95 and say they have got to be out of their minds! When I turned it over, it was maked Tiffany and Co.
and 925. It was a sterling silver tray from Tiffany's! Guess where it's at now?!You bet! And it turned out to be 1/2 price! I never go knowing I am looking for a specific thing because inevitably it won't be there. I bought about 6 sweaters in July because they were there and I knew I would wear them soon. I haven't bought a new purse probably since high school!
I have all the Tightwad Gazette books and there are some really helpful things in them especially for you girls that do alot of bulk grocery stuff. She's alittle extreme ( I don't wash plastic bags to reuse) but alot IS helpful.
Remember when you are at the market, shop the perimeters that's where all the perishable stuff is and the healthiest too! Don't spend alot of time on the middle rows , that's all the prepared and overprocessed stuff. I could probably be more frugal in this department if we were vegetarian( I was for 12 years) but I live with big ,hairy carnivores who roar when there is no meat!

My favorite time is when we go to our "camp" and hang out off the grid and bring with us what we need. It's so nice to just sit on that porch and know I can stay put for a week-10 days. About all we do get is a ice refill once or twice for the perishable cooler. That to me is heaven. Kooky to many but I bet most of you get it! I was born to a very creative Mom who figured out a way to make whatever it was she wanted but couldn't buy. I just grew up that way and it doesn't seem strange to me to make my own curtains or slipcovers, can
or what have you! It's just hard explaining this philosophy to the
community I live in because they are wired VERY differently! Their idea of a bargain is a sale at Lord & Taylor! Ay yi yi! I am a stranger in a strange land!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2006 :  05:19:36 AM  Show Profile
Bramble, what thrift store do you shop at? I live close to Princeton too and am looking for a great thift store. There is one in Pennington but haven't been in a while. I can relate totally to the being a stanger in a strange land concept. I grew up in the mid-west with a farming background and now live in central Jersey. I do happen to live in a beautiful part of Jersey (by Howell Living History Farm) but not very many people around here have our mind-set. Sad for them I guess. Glad I don't feel like keeping up with the Jones'.
Kel
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  11:52:59 AM  Show Profile
Kelly- Check your email! We live in the same county and you are right around the corner from my mum in law! I will email you details about local treasure hunting and maybe we can meet up!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  4:47:59 PM  Show Profile
hi kelly, know your area rather well. we use to go to the flea market and shops up that way. that is a beautiful area! been to howell farms too. now we live in south jersey . land much cheaper but this area is just as beautiful.(developers are a bit slower here.) still lots of old family farms and people still can make a living at farming.(SOME.!)getting harder. we have 10 ac. with cabin in the middle .no neighbors to close. i have to say that jersey is gettig more and more expencive and we are starting to downsize and hope to leave jersey in a year or two. (unless i win lottery or pub. clearing house lol) then we run.randi
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  5:26:20 PM  Show Profile
RE: Thrifty weddings....

We spent $85 on our cake from the local bakery because they have the best cake around
We got married in our back yard.
I made my dress.
We spent $150 on the officiant.
$50 on my husbands shirt.
$100 on alcohol.
FLowers were provided for by Rob's uncle.
We had 20 people there.

Not too bad. No sense in spending gobs and gobs when you can make it beautiful and meaningful to you with what you have.

"I would not interfere with any creed of yours or want to appear that I have all the cures. There is so much to know...so many things are true. The way my feet must go may not be best for you. And so I give this spark of what is light to me, to guide you through the dark, but not tell you
what you must see."
-Author Unknown

"Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth."
— Blaise Pascal

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  9:11:09 PM  Show Profile
OK, so I'm not nearly as thrifty as some of you!

But here's some things that my husband and I do:
- NEVER EVER take a car to the mechanic - get the shop manual from the library, order the parts, and fix it ourselves
- Do preventive maintenance - fix things before they break, it's usually cheaper that way. Find a schedule for home maintenance work (cleaning out gutters, inspecting window sills, etc.) and use it.
- Take lunches to work instead of buying at the shop cafeteria
- Ride to work together unless schedules make it impossible (someday I will graduate to riding a bike to work, but not this year)
- Shop at auctions - sure it takes time but you can really get some bargains.
- Do any and all construction work (roofing, painting, deck building, wallpaper hanging) ourselves
- Use the library or the internet instead of buying books/magazines
- Leverage company expense accounts whenever ethically possible. For example, he has a company car - he is allowed to use it for personal use, so we make sure we take it instead of the personal car as much as possible; I'm on call for computer support, so the company provides an allowance for cable modem...
- Buy gas on Wednesday (usually the cheapest day of the week)
- Utilize family discounts as much as possible - my daughter works for a grocery chain so I get 10% off
- Join a coop or buy in quantity and divide up among friends/neighbors
- Use one credit card only and pay it off every month - don't pay interest. Use it for everything to take advantage of the "points". Pay bills on time - don't pay late fees. Stay away from predatory lenders, don't borrow money at all (other than the one credit card) if you can help it.
- Shop around for better interest rates on bank accounts. Savings can pay as little as 1/2 percent or as much as 4.5 percent! Use a credit union instead of a commercial bank, fees are usually lower.
- Let the neighbors take us out to dinner to return "favors" like my husband fixing their lawnmower, etc.
- Look around to see what substitutions are available before rushing to the store.
- Buy beef by the freezer full. Every trip to the store costs more money because of impulse purchases - stay out of the stores as much as possible. Keep lettuce planted in the garden all the time - a salad makes a great meal and its better for you. Garden.
- Avoid long-term contracts (cable TV, cell phone, etc.) whenever possible (Yes, we still pay for electric...) Read the contracts you can't avoid. For example I found I could drop my roadside assistance from AAA because I get it for free with my newer car, my AMEX credit card and my auto insurance policy... We dropped our Sam's Club member ship finding most things at other stores that don't require membership.
- Rotate shoes - don't wear good shoes in the garden, let the shoes breathe between wearings
- Stay away from designer duds. We don't need horses, alligators, or rhinocerouses (rhinoceri?) on our shirts to boost our self-esteem. Keep fewer clothes in the closet, limit number of colors in wardrobe so that shoes, purses, and accessories coordinate with everything. Buy neutrals (white, black, khaki/taupe) and two other colors only, for example, navy and red, or rust/green, or pink/blue.
- Take vacation at home. Visit relatives. Don't stay in hotels/motels.

OK enough.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  06:35:57 AM  Show Profile
Boy, am i enjoying this discussion on simplicity and frugality.

When my husband, daughter and I moved into our 1800s farmhouse, we had no siding on it, no kitchen, no shower (but at least a tub and sink downstairs). I walked down the creaky cellar steps twice a day to do dishes. We brushed teeth downstairs and savored a bathtime. (OK, ultimate conservation of water, taking turns in the bath, always ending with my husband as he worked construction and was the dirtiest!)

We had the best garden, my first year, really. We had so much zucchini that we gave away lots during coop pick-ups.

I used to carry my daughter in the backpack for walks on my neighbors property and pick wild berries while at it. I canned and froze and made lots of jam (my first at canning. I bought the Ball Blue Book of canning for less than $5, got used jars from my MIL who no longer canned.)

Back then (15 years ago) I had no car and lived very isolated in the country. My husband worked long hours, every day, sometimes Sundays all day instead of just half days. I was lonely, but I learned quite a bit, observed the changes in nature, learned what was edible and how to really do as much for ourselves as possible.

I had the energy then to wash and hang laundry (cloth diapers being most importnant), I baked homemade bread, we ate lots of vegetarian meals and learned to can venison by buying a pressure canner.

After I got a car several years later and started a playgroup and was driving to the FREE summer program, I did not have as much time to walk and can. We still had a huge garden, I froze a lot (parents gave us their big freezer when they moved).

I made Christmas gifts from what we canned, the maple syrup my husband did and things I sewed. I bought my own sewing machine after borrowing my MIL's for several years and spending time sewing. I knew that I loved it and could do more with a machine that had a free arm and did more than straight stitch (think buttonholes and small armholes for children's clothes, neither being able to do on the older singer).

I have to say that it has been wonderful for building a lifestyle that works for us and suits us.

Still, as money has become more available, things change. We paid off our mortgage and built a garage. We bought a nice camper that we spend time in as much as possible. We still have a huge garden and can and freeze. I hang laundry out, but I use the dryer on rainy days. I buy books as well as it is easier than trying to get into town when they call to tell me they are in through inter-library loan. Sometimes I only go to town once a week, and it will be due back by the time I need to pick it up. So, I am grateful for Amazon.com to review and maybe buy new sewing books.

I have run into personal health issue. I think that God keeps giving you challenges. When you figure out the one (money) and get that down to a system, he pops up another one to keep us calling on him. :-)

So, now after paying off surgery for cancer last year, I buy vitamins and supplements and work even harder to eat more raw veggies and fruits. You think you are really taking care of yourself, but things happen just the same to bring back your focus to being together as a family and really taking care of yourself.

My husband works less and is home more to help and just be together. All major stuff is paid for except his truck. My daughter headed off to public high school. She was homeschooled until now. My son came along six years ago (8 years between kids, another one of God's plans for us) and is now homeschooled.

What I really want to say is that things cycle, habits get formed and help you stay true to what life is REALLY about-love, God, family, simple pleasures like walks and gardens. Never lose sight about receiving and sending love as that is where true simplicity starts and ends, the simple acts of loving each other and ourselves by spending our valuable time where we want to.

By the way, I happen to enjoy shopping at the local Salvation Army. I love when i get a real steal like Gap jeans for my daughter at half price ($2). I also like to repurpose clothes and items by altering/deconstructing them to make them our own. I also like to embellish or maybe leave them simple (like really nice jeans). My daughter actually likes to shop there versus the "mall" (located 1 1/2 hours away) as you can look through so many styles and pick what truly fits your own unique fashion sense. She also is into hand work and sews, spins wool, knits and weaves, does macrame and hand embroidery. She decided to take Fashion Creations in school, and she feels so confident in that class from her own experiences at home. I feel like I have done something right after all. :-) And, I feel like I ahve given her a way to keep perspective, conserve her resources and enjoy what she has.

We have no TV at the house, but we won a TV last year fro mthe truck dealer and put it into the camper. We bought a DVD player to go along with it, and we joined blockbuster.com. It was a true blessing during the first few months after surgery. Boy did I learn to treat that windfall as the blessing it was. Now we pop pocorn and watch movies several times a week, cozy family time. We like to borrow the old westerns and musicals best of all.

For all you who have the space, consider getting bees next spring. This became my husbands hobby several years ago. It does not take too much time, but we get delicious honey for ourselves and for gifts. This year we have five hives and may end up selling some through the local coop.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  10:16:52 AM  Show Profile
Love your "go by" name, Suzyhomemaker, and it certainly fits you to a T! What an interesting and inspiring post; glad you took the time to share it. And look what a good example you have set for your daughter, and the creative joy she will have for the rest of her life is all because she watched her mama. Hoping for renewed health and strength for you, Nance
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  10:58:48 AM  Show Profile
I was thinking that too..I coveted my neighbor girl's Suzy Homemaker oven when I was little (for you young gals it was like and Easy Bake oven...baked with a light bulb) I never did get one, but we sure ate alot of fancy cakes over there. Cute name!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  10:54:51 PM  Show Profile
I never had an Easy Bake oven, either - but, boy, did I want one! However, thinking back, my frugal mother did something even better - it cracks my husband up even now - she would get an empty coffee can and punch holes around the bottom and top of the sides, and a few in the bottom of the can, then she'd light a votive candle out on the cement driveway and put the coffee can on top of it upside down. Then, she would give my sister and me toothpicks and little pieces of bacon to cook on the top of the coffee can and eat. We were the envy of the neighborhood! Who doesn't like bacon!!! -- thanks for giving me the occasion to relive this memory, and also it's given me a craving for bacon...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  07:15:02 AM  Show Profile
We did those sort of "ovens" with cubscouts years ago...hmm..now that I am once again a cubscout leader..I may have to make "Libbie's mom's bacon cookers" have a comeback!!! How fun! What a smart mom you had.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Gathered Up: Previous Topic THRIFTY LIVING Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page