sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2009 :  08:06:12 AM  Show Profile
here we go. papa and erik our son are hooking up to go get mirabelle. over the hill (santiam pass) through the woods of oregons rain forest to salem. this is the best weather day we could hope for in dec. she is 10 yrs. with a bad hip. comes from an organic dairy. has had 2 5 month calves chewing on her. my plan is a stall, warm molasses water kelp and any help you girls have. she will be here late in the day if all goes well. i will need to milk her also. now we have isabella the 3 teat cow and mirabelle the hip cow lol. i love these old cows that need a hand up. i have needed my fare share of help and like passing it along. any ideas to help her settle in sherry silk purse farm

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4284 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4284 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2009 :  08:14:10 AM  Show Profile
When I got my cow, I spent lots of time with her. Talking to her, brushing her, getting her used to me. TLC works wonders.
Good LUck
Michele
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2009 :  09:13:13 AM  Show Profile
That is so sweet of you Sherry. I hope all goes well.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2009 :  1:01:53 PM  Show Profile
I love that name. You should be getting plenty of milk now. Do you have any milk customers yet? I hope they have a good trip back home and she settles in nicely. She should have a great life with ya'll and live 10 more years.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2009 :  3:42:10 PM  Show Profile
well shes here. i emailed the woman and told her to send some of my money back so i could call a vet. omg this cow is skinny and so crippled. i have no idea if she is in pain or not. what is up with people. she is very sweet. runny runny poop skinny sore open on nher hip. teats chewed up. the gal may or may not give me some of my money back. who knows. this is a sad deal. papa says feed her and see what happens. i gave her some yogurt and molasses in her water and fresh long stringy grass hat. she is in a stall. how she can lay down and get up is beyond me. i am totally shocked. poor old girl. well whatever if she is not in pain and cannot produce milk or babies she will be a pet for the grandkids. they want a horse they got a $500.00 cow lol
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2009 :  3:55:37 PM  Show Profile
Well at least she's come to a good place that will take good care of her. She's probably spent her whole 10 years on concrete floors. That's why the bad hip. How can people sell animals like that? I hope you get something back and get her on a good regimen and plenty of rest. Put lots of udder balm on her teats now. Poor thing. I know you have your work cut out for you with this ole girl. But if she makes it, she'll be a totally new cow in a few months with lots of TLC. Let us know how she does. I'll say some prayers for you all. But I know she's a happy cow tonight.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2009 :  4:46:55 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, 10 years old is not that old for a cow. With the care that I am sure you are giving her, she will soon be the best cow you ever had. I just read the post about the lady in TX that just got baby chicks. I envy you farmgirls that can do the winter babies and sick cows. Seems like I can only do sick Hubby and garden in the best weather. But I guess Been there, done that is where I am at this time in my life.

Good Luck, Belle
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2009 :  5:56:46 PM  Show Profile
well she is settled in tonight. when i went to put buttercups girl baby in calf hutch the new cow was looking and curious.she is very pretty in the face, papa and erik even said so. she is calm tonight. in the am i will work on her udder. it is lumpy and cut. so may need to get some help from you girls for her teats and such. i have bag balm and will wash her up and balm her tomorrow. the way she stands i cannot see her pooper just a deep cave. i tell you its sad. papa says she will be better after she is fed up. i sure hope so.i will take her temp if i can in am. i think i will need to hook her up to the milker tomorrow see whats in there. not much though the bag is pretty saggy. talk to you tomorrow. thanks girls for the support. i guess she is where she should be gads lol learn as you go silk purse farm sherrye
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2009 :  6:12:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sherry what an sweet angel you are - that dear cow is so lucky to have come to your loving hands. I do not know much about cows but I have brought many rescue animals here in horrible conditions and so I know love is the first medication to heal. All of us here will be adding you and your sweet new addition to our prayers. I agree it is sometimes unbelieveable what humans do to those who depend on the kindness of others. I just know there is a special place for those type of people. Just like I know there is a very wonderful place for angels like you.

On behalf of the Funny Farm with thank you for caring.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2009 :  6:45:21 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, I would recomend hand stripping her, not useing the machine if she in sore and lumpy, just hobble her so she does not kick you because of pain. I am sorry that you were taken by the former owner, this is why I highly recomend vet checks before buying from someone you don't know personaly. I would also report the condition of this cow to the spca, so they can check the welfare of her other animals. Good luck to you.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  05:24:25 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, Sherry. Hope she had a good night. I e-mailed you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  3:19:34 PM  Show Profile
hi everyone, sorry i never got back on this am. well she walked to the little milk barn into the stantion and started eating. i think she is a skinny bent mess. i can see she moves around ok. i have missed her laying down or getting up so far.i know she can i saw her laying chewing cud. buttercup is a little put out over this. she has used her horns to let faith the new old cow who is boss.she is just caring for her calf cocoa. they all chewed cud together lol. so all four teats are bit into badly. long circular cuts. i washed her while she was in stantion with my outdoor heated water thingy. she loved it. it took an hour to get all the yuk off all her legs hoofs udder. i read the threads on kfc on teat repair. i milked her with machine only got quart. she has tested positive for mastitus in all 4 quarters. i will milk again tonight and test her. it could be she was just so dirty hard to get a good test sample. she is on calf starter and alfalfa pellets and hay. papa says she will come around. not a kick or a shift or a look the whole time i scrubbed and washed and milked and doctored.she went on lead to and from pen no problem. she is a sweet old broken cow. she has come to the right house. i have a disability that causes a lot of pain and homeboundness lol is that a word? anyway i have a lot of rescue critters and papa helps all of us broken ones.
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  4:42:14 PM  Show Profile
Ugg, Sherrye, you are going for sainthood. I can't believe the nerve of the women who charged you for a cow in bad shape, especially mastitis! I'd actually ask for my money back--you did her a FAVOR by taking that poor animal. Honestly, I would've said not to have taken her in the trailer on first sight of her, but then she'd still be in that horrible place, so you've done a good thing, but you're out of the money, and I am frustrated for you on this count. I hope the little bent cow heals at your place, you seem like such a loving person.

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com

Renegade Farming!: www.the-renegade-farmer.blogspot.com

Radio Show!: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/therenegadefarmer

www.bigtownfarmer.com

Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2009 :  06:17:35 AM  Show Profile
Ah, Sherrye. It hurts my heart to think she's had to go through all that. Where were her other owners when all this was happening? Sounds to me like you are doing everything possible for her, and trust me, she's gonna love you for it. Yep. You'll have an extra jewel in your crown!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2009 :  07:28:35 AM  Show Profile
she is better now. ah what a difference some days kmake. i milked yesterday and there was blood etc, in the milk. last night i used the today on all 4 qtrs. she never moved an inch. i can see she tires standing still. my friend gets back today. i will see is we can get pics up tomorrow.i think she is drying up on her own. i was hoping i could keep her in a little milk. we will see this am what she has in there.i know she is a happiy girl.kudos to papa for letting me bring this poor old girl home. he is so helpful. running all the errands and setting up systems that can work for me. her bag hangs very low. when i put the claw on i have to be almost upside dowm lol. if it were full maybe it would rise a little.i wanted to ai her but its getting late in the year now. not sure if she could handle being preg. waiting to build her up will mess with timing of the birth.not sure yet.thanks to all who cared about her too. sherrye
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2009 :  08:04:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would wait to see how her hip progresses. If she has a ruined hip join with little to no cartlidge left to cushion- a pregnancy would be extremely painful. I would highly recommend getting a vet check on her before you think about AIing her and if she is in really poor weight she might not keep a pregnancy anyway. You might also try getting her on a feed with Glucasamine and Chondroitin in it. That can really help joint health.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2009 :  08:36:57 AM  Show Profile
i agree alee. i am going to have jared check her. she has had the hip awhile now. not sure how long that is though. i think i will carry her into summer and let her eat and get her condition up. i wanted so bad to use her now. we will see what vet says. if it were my body i could not handle the stress load of pregnancy.i think she has been over worked in the milk dept. too. i thought about it and the dairyman probably did not sell her till her milk level went down for the season. the woman i got her from bought in july. milked 2 months by hand and stopped and put two calves on her. the calves are now 5 months. i think the old girl has been pumping milk this season.she will probably go out with isabella. they would be in a good place. can move around on acreage and have great care. my friend has her in milk jersey and isabella whats one more right?lol
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2009 :  2:17:23 PM  Show Profile
Glad to hear she's doing better, Sherry. It's alot of work but it will be worth the wait to get her healthy and back on track. She probably needs a break anyway. She'll be better for it, I'm sure. Lots of good healthy food and good pasture will do wonders.

I went today to see a 4 month old Jersey cross heifer calf. She's soo cute. My friend is going to sell her to me for $100. So hopefully in 2 1/2 years I'll be milking. That's a long time to wait but I have goats for milk now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2009 :  6:46:16 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, her hips might improve since she doesn't have the calves sucking her. I have seen calves almost lift a cow off the ground when they are sucking as they get older and resulting in the cow limping around until you get them weaned off and the cow can recover from the trauma. Two calves sucking an old cow will also suck her down where she can not maintain any weight. Sounds like she needs your loving care, good hay, some sweet feed, and treatment for her mastitis. It does take a cow awhile to bounce back and get her weight back on. I would also let her out in a pasture with plenty of fresh air, fresh water, and plenty of hay. I would get her out on the ground and off of concrete floors and let her get exercise out in the pasture. Be sure she gets cattle mineral, salt, and protein. I think you will not recognize her in 9 months. Good luck and I will pray for you.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2009 :  7:06:01 PM  Show Profile
hi girls, she is doing great tonight. i am truly the milkmaid. gotta get my other belly milker set up. i spend more time setting up and breaking down equipt. one can two cows. one with good milk one not. so washing four times a milking gads so i am milking at same time day and night. i get 1/2 gal and a cup in am. at night 2 cups go figure. now i am wondering if cocoa buttercups baby is stealing day milk. they are all together. i did not think so but now i am wondering. i will watch closer tomorrow.still had some pink milk in the line today. it could be the cuts on the teats opening. it was suggested to give her cod liver oil vit. e chondroitin and glucosamine. what do you think farmgirls? kris how fun to raise your milk cow from a calf. that is my hope someday with a mini. she will be trained just how you want her. i will be so happy when next month comes. ginger the lamanche is screaming i need a boy friend again today. i want a may baby so no boy till next month.thanks for the harrahs and support. its fun being a farmgirl.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2009 :  04:58:27 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like Faith is doing great with all the lovin' care she's getting. Good for you both. My friend that has the calf has 2 jersey's she's milking twice a day. It does take her about an hour both times. She uses a machine, too. I went yesterday to get some milk and she had none. I was so upset. She's like me, though. I either have a fridge full or none at all. I'll go back today and get some. Her husband is home all week and he said he's bring the calf out this weekend. I think I'm ready for her. I just hope Mazie doesn't harrass her too much. I know there will be a few days of chasing and all that. But hopefully they'll be best buds soon. I'll need to start halter training the new babe.

I hope all my does are bred. I didn't want to breed them til Nov. but Abby goat wanted March babies. So we'll have March and April kids here. I like them early but not Winter kids. Too cold. I am still milking Sandy but only every other day and am down to about a cup now. So will dry her up soon. I just know I'll miss that goat milk.

It sounds like the calf is stealing the milk. How old is it now?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2009 :  07:52:19 AM  Show Profile
you are up early. im fighting a cold so slept in.maybe since i milk uneven 9am and 430 at night. cocoa baby is 3 1/2 months. she could be/ she is locked in stall at night. we will see what todat brings.i remember reading about when the goats all got out.i only have ginger now that is mine. i am still goay sitting the pygmy and baby annnia mae. this baby is so cute. she is a snuggler. i am trying to teach her to be loved on her sides and butt. i want to anuggle her head but she is having horns. when she goes home she will need them.what a pistol she is. i love goats and cows and farmlife. i want a pic of the new calf. new life always brings hope with it. happy days ahead. how is the family doing? hope you have a great weekend sherrye
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  07:26:10 AM  Show Profile
thought it would be good to let all know how she is doing. for a skinny bony cow she is great. her sore on her hip bone is drying up. since i have no exp. with mastitus i read a lot. she had the cottage cheese stuff come out of a rear quarter a few days ago. have not tested for mastitus lately. no more blood in her milk. she is giving about a half gallon and half is cream. does anyone know, is the cottage cheese stuff fat globs or sour milk or what. she did not like it when it broke loose and came out. she lifted her foot in protest. i think i got it all. will see this am.she is calm and very content. i started fresh alfalfa hay yesterday. my old farmer friend said not to feed her up to fast to avoid bloat. she loves the alfalfa. i am going to use it in the milk room. it is so messy though. hay everywhere. i like the alfalfa pellet cause it is clean. i understand that the hay is probably better for her. i will have to get out the grass blower we use in the yard to blow out the milk room.lol i think she is very happy here. i can get her to come to milk in eve. now without a fight. i know it is almost dark and she is like me ready to be done for the day. she now will come with me. its a walk to the parlour. she fell the other day scared me to death. i had to arrange the stall mats in the milk room. she slipped on a small section of concrete. she layed there and looked at me like ok now what. then she got up and off we went. i fixed the floor.i do hope she will come up some in milk. does anyone know how long some cows stay in milk? i would like to keep milking her.will not breed her yet to skinny. hair on her back is falling out? used diatemacous earth on it. have not wormed yet. any advice thanks sherrye
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  6:38:45 PM  Show Profile
Hey Sherry. I saw where she fell. How sad. I don't know about the clumpy milk. Doesn't sound good, though. Then I just read over in KFC that she's not doing too well tonight. I hope the vet has some good news for you. You've done so much for her already. Maybe she's older than everyone thinks, too. Let me know what the vet says, ok? Hope she has a good night. And you, too.

Hugs, Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  06:42:24 AM  Show Profile
You and Mirabelle are included in my prayers, I know from experience that tender loving care can make the difference in a recovery - animal or human. Do call SPCA and get that person checked out, there may be other animals suffering there and you call could save their lives. Keep us posted on Mirabelle and bless you for being the wonderful person you are.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  07:48:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How is she doing today, Sherrye? I have been following her recovery with interest!

I think the loss of hair is probably due to the malnutrition that she suffered through. Now that she is getting good nutrition her body is shedding off the poor hair and growing in better. I have seen it happen with dogs and cats that have suffered through a time of malnutrition. Also don't expect her new hair to be super great very soon. She might have to grow it in and shed it out a couple of times before she is back to the nice glossy cow that she wants to be.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic rescue jersey # 2 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: