Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 What's the funniest place your hens ever laid?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What's the funniest place your hens ever laid? Next Topic  

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  05:10:10 AM  Show Profile
My young hens started out by dropping their eggs all over the yard; driveway, etc. One day we were in the kitchen when my 4 year old niece looked out the window, and in a shocked voice said - "That egg just fell out of that chicken's butt!"
Then they got a clue and started laying in one of my husband's square hay balers not in use out in the equipment yard, in the hay chamber.
After that they moved to the old pump house/privy behind the house. We use it as a garden shed now. It is built on a concrete slab, with a chute out the side to drain down the hillside. The hens got up in there, way out of reach, and laid their eggs. No matter; I simply went into the building, opened the cover on the hole in the floor where the "Thunder Box" used to be, and reached down to grab them.
After it got colder recently, they found an old truck cab behind the tool shed that just sits on the ground - they're currently laying in the wheel well in some leaves.
The only logical place my hens have ever laid is in the hay barn in a pile of hay under an old door! So where do your free range hens lay that's outrageous?

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com

Edited by - Hosanna on Dec 16 2009 09:22:43 AM

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  07:37:30 AM  Show Profile
We use to have one at the place we stabled our horses that alway laid her eggs under the Mare's feed bucket. She would sit there while Sox was eating and lay her eggs. Sox never once stepped on one. Guess she knew what they were.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  09:26:20 AM  Show Profile
We must have very well behaved hens. When our pullets started laying this year, we found one on the floor of the coop. We had the nest covered so they wouldn't roost there. We uncovered the nests and they have laid there ever since. I looked for eggs all over but found none. They are free range also.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  07:34:20 AM  Show Profile
Wow. I just glanced at the topic subject very quickly and almost fell out of my chair! Okay, HENS LAYING EGGS...phew! Sorry, my mind is in the gutter again... My lay on TOP of the nesting boxes - not IN them...

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Maven
http://www.harvestthymefarm.vpweb.com
www.onefunkyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
~I'd rather be on my farm than Emperor of the World~George Washington
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  07:40:46 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Aren't hens funny! I just found 9 eggs burrowed inside one of our round bales! What a hoot!! My ducks had been using our awful clay driveway for a swimming hole this fall...after the water dried up we found tons of duck eggs that they must have laid while swimming around! All of my girls seem to be on strike now that the time has changed and the weather is cold - not an egg to be found around here!!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360
http://oldethymecountry.secure2cart.com/
http://oldethymecountrybarn.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  08:54:39 AM  Show Profile
Well, this may not be too strange, but one of mine has started laying in the hay bales in the hay shed. And some of the others have found a nice cozy corner in the goat barn (right next to their nice nest boxes in the coop) and they stand in line, literaly, and wait their turn. No matter that there are about a dozen other corners, if there's a hen in that particular corner, they all want it. We used to have 2 hens that laid their eggs in Truckin' Man's garage in the bottom shelf of a storage shelf.

There have been some strange places I have found hens setting on nests this past year. The strangest and scariest was in the milk room. I was not expecting to reach up on a shelf and feel a warm fluffy body. It scared me to death!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What's the funniest place your hens ever laid? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page