DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  10:49:33 AM  Show Profile
It's become a Christmas eve tradition here to set the table with various appetizers that everyone can just help themselves too. We've got lots of sweets, cheese & crackers, shrimp & cocktail sauce, cheeseball, sushi, etc. etc.
But I need help! Does anyone have any suggestions for appy's/finger foods that are on the lighter side?
I (and my gallbladder ) thank you!!
Di

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  10:57:33 AM  Show Profile
I made one for Thanksgiving that went over REALLY well, and you could do just about anything with it...
1 bosc pear, peeled, chopped fine
1 onion, peeled, chopped fine (same chop as pear)
3 tsp. dijon mustard (I used a whole grain balsamic mustard)
1/2 cup parmesan, grated
1/4 cup white cheddar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix all ingredients well

Put into phyllo cups and bake until bubbly and warmed through. SOOOOO good, simple and you could eliminate one of the cheeses, or use a lower, lighter fat cheese, as well.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  1:47:53 PM  Show Profile
Homemade pita chips (just buy - or if you're really ambitious, make! - pita bread, slice up, and toast on low in the oven) with hummus or red pepper dip is a pretty low-fat, healthy snack. I've also found that veggie trays with dip (homemade ranch dip made with low-fat sour cream and heart-healthy mayo tastes best to me) are actually really nice around the holiday season as people like having something fresh and crunchy to munch on! Ditto fruit trays. Pickled veggies like dilly beans aren't too bad either.

If you want a hot appetizer, slice up some french (or any other hearty bread) thin, toast in the oven on low (appx 200 F) until dry and crispy, then top with caramelized onions mixed with low-fat cream cheese or cottage cheese and a little mustard and toast until bubbly. Bruschetta, which is basically sliced french bread brushed with olive oil and topped with tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil, and a little parmesan cheese is also delicious.

Roasted garlic (just cut the tops off of whole heads and roast in the oven until soft) is also fabulous on fresh bread or toast and has a really mellow flavor.

I know I'm a little late on these suggestions, but maybe they'll be good for next year! :)

---------
http://citygirlcountryfood.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Appy's on the Lighter Side? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page