weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  03:30:12 AM  Show Profile
Just made a fresh brew of tea. Do you prefer to drink your tea out of a teacup or a mug. I am partial to old teacups. I have a collection of them and depending on my mood or what type of tea I am brewing I choose that particular cup. I like dainty teacups with pretty flowers and of course I always use the saucer with it. As I sip my tea I think about the person that may have shared that same cup with me. I am always in search of new teacups when rumaging through thrift stores. I like mugs for coffee and hot cocoa!

Happiness is in the comfortable companionship of friends.
-Pam Brown

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  03:48:12 AM  Show Profile
We use pottery mugs. The friend who thorws them has big hands, so it's nice to fill 'er up and have something solid to grip

The base is wide too, so theres not much worry about one of these tipping over
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  03:53:43 AM  Show Profile
I love tea cups, they are so pretty. Unfortunately the only ones I have were my grandmoters and they are kept safe and sound in the china cabinet. But thats ok, I think I am definately a mug sort of person!!!

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  07:04:08 AM  Show Profile
..ditto with Melissa! ...although, I use tea cups for special occasion, and Hubby and I use our "tea bowl" that I had bought from the Toronto museum from time to time. They're what the Orientals use... these are reproductions.

:o)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  07:05:07 AM  Show Profile
i like pottery mugs ...I like to "hug" the mug while I am drinkingit....makes me feel cozy

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  07:11:15 AM  Show Profile
Well, it does depend. If I am sick, I want a mug--as Melanie mentioned, "hugging" a mug is rather comforting! If I'm working outside in the garden, I always take a break and sit down to an English bone china cup and saucer, very dainty, that reads around it, "Tools Down, Time for Tea" with a little spade and fork.

Coffee is always in a favorite Denby mug. Crazy, but their pottery seems to keep liquids warmer, longer :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Choctaw Farm Gal
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Nancy
Oklahoma
46 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  07:24:00 AM  Show Profile
I like them both as well!

I have a few sets of old tea & coffee cups, which are so pretty and a treat to use. I love that they are NOT super-sized and always think of how a small cup of brew was once so gently sipped vs the gulping we are now used to!

I also have a few favorite mugs that serve me well on a cold evening when cradling the warm sides and sipping hot cocoa, an herbal tea, or good coffee can bring instant joy!!!!

~Nancy

My etsy shop:
http://www.TheHeronNest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ijjie
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Joan
Knoxville TN
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  07:26:01 AM  Show Profile
I am with you on the mug of tea on a cold day, cozy by the fire or when fighting the winter sniffles, but give me a pretty tea cup and saucer any other time! I love collecting cups and saucers and have found them from time to time in our local thrift shop.

Joan

One of the joys of life are friends! They take you as you are!

Edited by - ijjie on Dec 15 2009 07:27:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  08:12:59 AM  Show Profile
I'm all about the big mug. A nice large cup of tea and a good book. Best way to spend a cold day.

Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  08:51:30 AM  Show Profile
I am partial to a mug. After living in Scotland I learned to love a cup of strong black tea with milk. I like a really big mug and have several that I choose from depending on my mood. I even have ones for the holiday's.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  2:32:34 PM  Show Profile
I love collecting teacups so I am partial to them and I make a tea tray. I love flavored black teas.

blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  2:46:36 PM  Show Profile
My favorite black tea is from Harney and Son the "Royal English Breakfast Tea". It has to be the best black tea I have ever tasted. You can visit them at www.harney.com Just ordered their "Holiday Tea with Holiday Spices" Yummmmmmm

-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

shepherdwagen
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Susan
Winterset Iowa
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  9:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Send shepherdwagen a Yahoo! Message
I live with a German Shepherd Dog, and so I have a growing collection of German Shepherd mugs. I also have a hand-thrown pottery mug that I have had for several years.
Now I really only prefer tea when I am sick, but I still like it in a mug. I wouldn't know what to do with a teacup!

Susan in Iowa

"I've childproofed my house, but they keep getting in."
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  09:24:04 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I love tea cups to look at... but when it comes to drinking tea..I am a mug girl all the way...:)

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com
www.renesnaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  4:18:42 PM  Show Profile
I like mugs because they hold more I guess. But I like thin lipped ones---like a bone china one. I have several I use and the regular type of mugs too. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  5:02:16 PM  Show Profile
Had almost forgotten about the milk in tea!

Picked up this habit when we visited Australia many years ago.

It's really good this way

And some of the potters arouhd here throw the tea bowls. It's a neet design
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  5:05:09 PM  Show Profile
I like tea cups for a special occasion but it's a mug for me. My tea or coffee cools off too fast in a tea cup and they don't hold enough. Bigger is better in my house.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  5:15:17 PM  Show Profile
You know, it depends on whether I make tea with a teapot or a simple cup of tea. The teapot demands something delicate whereas the cup of tea can be just a mug.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  03:45:21 AM  Show Profile
Here's a funny that's also a testament to Chinese herbals

Bought something called dieter's tea. You can find it most places now...especially in the natural and orannic markets.

I found some at the Oriental market where hubby gets his jasmine tea and rice. ALl the stuff in this store is directly imported and caters to the Asian folks of the community, so it's authentic for sure!

Well, one evening I brewed a mug full. About 9 oz worth and chugged it down with the usual splash of milk

About mid evening it hit and thank goodness it hadn't been served to anyone else, or that we hadn't planned on going anywhere.

As it turns out Senna is a big time stimulant. And it's natural all right, but SUPER powerful

So now it's just the occasional mint and raspberry tea for me!
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  07:50:53 AM  Show Profile
Anyone that is a black tea lover, you might want to try the Lipton Yellow Label tea. I have to get mine in the local import shop but it is well worth the trip. I was introduced to it when we took a trip to the Canary Islands years ago. It is so good.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  09:55:06 AM  Show Profile
Beth

Is the yellow label Lipton tea only available in speciality stores or can you find it at your local market? Black tea is my favorite with a little milk and some sweetner! Years ago a lady from England made a cup of tea from a brand called P. G. Tips. Very good also. She told me it was there everyday household tea that they drank. The sachets are enough to brew two cups of tea. I actually use a 10oz teapot and one bag makes a lovely pot of tea.

-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  10:47:17 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE teacups & saucers, but when I want a cup of tea...give me a big ol' mug!!!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  11:19:59 AM  Show Profile
I love my dainty little teacups and saucers....but I mostly only look at them, just like Rene. I think it has to do with having five children and having so many things get broken when they were little. I just hate to have my pretty things out where they can get broken so I keep them stashed away. Someday I hope to have a place to safely display them. I use them every now and then when I'm in that particular mood.

Other than that, I love my mugs, my favorite being one with a pastoral scene of cows and a barn. It is big enough to really satisfy, but thin enough to sip from like a tea cup. I also have some special mugs that I love which are the traditional blue ane white hand made mugs from Bennington Potters which is real close to where I live. Check them out at www.benningtonpotters.com
My mugs are the light blue and white which was their original color...they were a wedding gift 21 years ago!! And they have made it through all five children and still keeping my tea or cocoa or coffee hot!

Carrie M

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  3:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I use a HUGE mug . . . for everything!!! I gotta have my MUG!!!

But, I love beautiful teacups and have several, but I use them for decorating when I'm in my "teacup" decorating mode.
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  10:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I love pretty tea cups and saucers! But I'm always useing a mug everyday. It depends on my mood.
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  06:59:24 AM  Show Profile
Mug, holds more tea.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Do you prefer a teacup or mug? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page