walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  09:34:42 AM  Show Profile
So, guess what decided to go out this weekend?!?!?!

My stove.

Well, it works fine, except that a little Mr. Mouse decided to make a home in the insulation and DIE. Cooked mouse does NOT smell good.

So, we went to Lowe's, and picked out a stove. I picked out a flat top stove with NO INKLING of the crazy "Do's" and "Don'ts" of it.

So, my question is, what do you clean this thing with?!?!?! I used it ONCE with a stainless steel coffee percolator, and I've got a ring on it. :( I know that I now can only use my cast iron pans in the oven, and no copper bottomed pots, but, I don't know how to clean it! Any help would be appreciated!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  10:40:56 AM  Show Profile
I don't know about the cleaning part but I do know you cannot can on a flat top stove as the deflected heat from the canner will crack the top. Word of caution on that one.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  11:25:02 AM  Show Profile
:( I'm really torn about that one-I can every year. I'll probably have to go to my MIL's house to do my canning, or stick with freezer jams and freezing my veggies.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  1:08:24 PM  Show Profile
Megan
I have a flat top stove & it has 1 extra large burner that is safe for canning. I specifically asked when I bought it, & that was the one that was recommended. It has 2 smaller burners in the back, one med large on the front left, & one BIG one on the front right. I have canned on it for at least 3 yrs, no problems
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  1:10:58 PM  Show Profile
I just read the rest of your post, I use cast iron pots on mine, & also have a few old copper bottomed pots that I use. Why are those a no no? I guess I haven't been following the rules, but I have never had any problems. THere are speical cleaners for these stove, I just use Barkeepers Friend & also scrape with a utility knife. I really like mine.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  2:28:21 PM  Show Profile
i too use cast iron skillets and pots on mine for 5 years. maybe it scratches it. i dont se sctches on mine. i cook and can a lot. the stove has been used and abused. it is still pumping out food. i love love love my stove top. learn as we go silk purse farm
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  3:41:34 PM  Show Profile
I guess you've been lucky with the canning or they have improved them. When I bought my last stove, my wholesaler (I was a kitchen designer/builder for 16 yrs) told me to not use a flat top cook top for canning nor the solid burner type either. I'm glad to hear that they have been improved since.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  5:50:21 PM  Show Profile
I clean mine with a cream type cleaner I pick up at the store. For really tough or burnt on stuff I've had good luck gently scraping it with a sharp razor, then cleaning.
I've also used a canner on mine with no problem.

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  11:24:55 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much ladies! I'll have to call my local store to see if I can do canning on it. I don't see anything on the Whirlpool website regarding it. I did, however, see that copper-bottomed and cast iron can scratch the stove-which is a risk you take, I guess!

I'm sure this will be a fine stove, I just want to make sure I don't ruin it within the first month! LOL.

Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  11:50:19 AM  Show Profile
Barkeepers friend is great and does a wonderful job cleaning my flat top. I do not use the cast iron skillets any more on top though.
Go to Top of Page

guerin
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Jennifer
Shandon Ohio
88 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  08:58:18 AM  Show Profile
i also use copper pans with no problem. I do use my cast iron, but I am super careful with them to avoid scratches.

I had no idea about the canning. i'll have to look into that! Thanks for the info.

As far as cleaning, I use a scrubbie and baking soda. Whatever that doesn't take off, a utility knife will :)

I think you'll enjoy your new stove

http://925frugal.com
Go to Top of Page

bobbinrobin
True Blue Farmgirl

590 Posts

Sharon
Newman Lake WA
USA
590 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  09:03:28 AM  Show Profile
I use Softscrub on my stove top ... sometimes leaving it on slightly watered down 'til it dries, then scrubbing it hard. Whatever I use, there are times a vigorous scraping of a thumbnail (fingernail) works. Try not to use anything that would permanently scratch the surface

How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it. -G. Elliston

www.sharnymcclarny.etsy.com
www.bobbinrobin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

JustAnAllAmericanGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Jamie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  07:08:32 AM  Show Profile
I have a flat top stove (not by choice) and honestly do not like it because of the pain to keep clean. I use a commercial cleaner for it and then about once every other month my husband uses a razor blade to scrape off anything I couldn't get.

I can on it with the big burner in the front and have used every type of pot imaginable on it. So far so good. jamie

www.JustAnAllAmericanGirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  07:24:42 AM  Show Profile
I have to throw my two cents' worth in also. In our old house I had a flat top, I loved it!! I have revere ware and used it all the time, and also used my cast iron skillet, but was careful with that, not to scrape it around. To clean I used baking soda, or the cream cleaner you can buy from the dealer. If I had the black rings, I used the scraper you get if you have a Pampered Chef baking dish, etc. that also worked great. Learn to love that thing!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

Perennial
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Bea
Southwest Virginia
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  1:43:28 PM  Show Profile
thought mine was a pain to clean also until the repairman told me
to use barkeepers friend - it's works really great, cheaper than fancy creams and works much better.
Go to Top of Page

Bevb
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Bev
Moscow ID
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  06:22:02 AM  Show Profile
I used baking soda, and a green scratchy sponge on mine. It cleaned up really well.

We got rid of it this year, and got a gas stove, because I couldn't can on it.

Good Luck!

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  12:12:45 PM  Show Profile
we use this stuff we got from lowes too i think its made just for that type of cook top. i hate them personally, but you put the stuff on and ocme back in 20 minutes or so and take it off like waxing a car. ill see if i can find out.

Karen ^_^

http://frommisstomissus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  07:59:13 AM  Show Profile
Well, I've got the stuff from Lowe's, and it seems to work okay, it's a cream-paste type thing, but, I've got two small spots on one burner. They look like water spots. I tried the cream, I tried baking soda, I tried my fingernail, and it won't budge. Any tips?

Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Flat stove-top... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page