Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic crockpot oatmeal YUM Next Topic  

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  4:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I got this from tipnut...there is also a recipe for thermos oatmeal if anyone wants me to post that too.
I really like this...hope someone can use it too.

How To Make Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal
Basic Recipe:

8 cups water
2 cups steel-cut oats1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients in a 5 quart slow cooker and turn on low heat.
Cover with lid and cook 8 hours.
Fruit pieces can be added with the ingredients at the start or right before serving if you prefer.

Troubleshooting Tips:

If you've tried making slowcooker oatmeal overnight before and found it to be a disaster, here are a few reasons why that may have happened.

Your crockpot was too large for the recipe and you didn't have enough ingredients in the crock to prevent overcooking.
Your crockpot heats higher or lower than what the recipe author¡¯s does.
You're not sticking with the steel cut oats and are using instant or quick-cook oats instead.
Overcooked, Burned Mess?

If you're finding that no matter what you do, overnight crockpot oatmeal never turns out and is always overcooked or burned, try the Bain-Marie method- which is basically putting all the ingredients in a dish that will fit inside the crock, then filling the crock with water so the level is half-way up the dish. No more burned oatmeal mess.

If the oatmeal is cooking too fast for you and is overcooked in the morning, you could try the timer method. Mix the ingredients in the slowcooker before you go to bed and set the timer with a 4 to 5 hour cooking window, adjusting the time as needed. If your crockpot doesn't have a timer, you can pick up an appliance timer for a few bucks.

Suggestions:

When making this for the first time, try cooking it during the day when you¡¯re home to monitor it. You'll be able to test the cooking time that works best for your crock pot.
If you prefer a thicker oatmeal, play with the water amount a bit or increase the oats. This will take some testing until you achieve the consistency you like.

Linda in Scranton, PA

Edited by - yarnmamma on Dec 13 2009 04:45:44 AM

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  5:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the recipe linda!!
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  5:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Don't forget to notice that it is NOT rolled or instant oats but a steel cut...I'm gonna look for it myself. Has anyone cooked the steel cut oats before?

Linda in Scranton, PA
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  5:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I have.

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  5:25:16 PM  Show Profile
I dislike oatmeal but I read where you could substitue orange juice for the water and I actually liked it. I did make a smaller amount so maybe half and half for a big recipe like this.JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  05:31:19 AM  Show Profile
I cook my steel cut oats this way all the time. I also cook Pioneer Porridge which is 12 different grains in the same manner. Nothing like waking up to breakfast already done!

Happiness is in the comfortable companionship of friends.
-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  09:00:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love steel cut oats! They are so good! They really fill you up and stay with you!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

des
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Desiree
West Hurley NY
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  12:47:14 PM  Show Profile
I love steel cut or Irish oats. I have not had success with the crock pot method, but after reading this post, I think it's because my crock pot has been too big. I am going to try the method with the bowl in the crock pot.

Farmgirl Sister #280
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  12:53:51 PM  Show Profile
I've made the steel-cut oats in my crockpot with fruits, nuts, and spices. Yum! Smells so good when you get up in the morning too!

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  3:17:17 PM  Show Profile
thanks, I'll try that for sure!!

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  4:05:37 PM  Show Profile
I'm a big fan of crock pot steel cut oats. I use the presure cooker when I forget and get caught empty handed!!
~ Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic crockpot oatmeal YUM Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page