Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 How do I transfer a design?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic How do I transfer a design? Next Topic  

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  4:10:49 PM  Show Profile
In the old days, lol, I used to use that colored paper, with a tracing wheel. That was how I learned to trace markings from a pattern when sewing.
I have an embroidery pattern, that comes from a library magazine, and it's telling me to transfer just part of it(the rest I was able to copy onto tissue paper, just squares and triangles), it is a branch with pine needles. I obviously have to be careful of the pattern, since it's not mine!
I can probably draw it free hand with a disappearing ink, but say I couldn't draw worth a darn, how would I transfer it?
Thanks all!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

If you rest, you rust. Helen Hayes

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/

bobbinrobin
True Blue Farmgirl

590 Posts

Sharon
Newman Lake WA
USA
590 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  4:42:22 PM  Show Profile
If you have a light table Brenda you can tape down the pattern and your cloth over top (or tape it to a bright window) ... that is the easiest way. Use a sharp mechanical pencil to trace it onto your cloth.

How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it. -G. Elliston

www.sharnymcclarny.etsy.com
www.bobbinrobin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  4:43:33 PM  Show Profile
I put a light underneth a glass top table and shine it through and I can get an ok transfer with a disappearing ink pen. your drawing on your fabric so nothin in a book will get writen on and you can also make a copy and lay it over the fabric and sew over it and then remove the paper after.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  5:17:41 PM  Show Profile
If you have the design on paper, sew it on your sewing machine without thread (use a large needle - I use a wing needle) and this will leave holes in the paper. Go over the holes with colored chalk or a dissappearing pen and it will leave a series of dots. A light table works best but the "hole" method works well especially on a dark fabric. Hope that helps. How about sewing through wash away stabilizer with the design on the stabilizer and then wash away the stabilizer when done sewing? That should work too.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  7:47:00 PM  Show Profile
Wow, thanks Sharon, Diana, and Sheri!
I've used the light method before to copy patterns, but didn't even think of it for this. I'll have to try it tomorrow when the sun is out! :)
And, Sheri, that's a good idea too, I will try that sometime too!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

If you rest, you rust. Helen Hayes

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2009 :  8:09:26 PM  Show Profile
I tape the pattern to a window and then tape my fabric over it and pencil trace the pattern onto the fabric.
Melody
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  08:47:33 AM  Show Profile
If you make a copy of the pattern, so you can write on it, I take a transfer pencil and go over the design - then I can iron the pattern just like an iron-on transfer. That only works on light fabrics but it does come in handy.

If the design is small, you can also use freezer paper as your "ground" and transfer the pattern onto the non-shiny side of the paper. Then iron the shiny side to the fabric, where you want the design - then do your embroidery through the freezer paper. I recommend that only for small designs or for really stretch fabric that needs to be stabilized. Once your are done, you pull the freezer paper right off and your design will be left behind.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Soon to Be Podcaster
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Podcasts at http://thefannyfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lisabob
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

lisa
quanah texas
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  8:44:20 PM  Show Profile
I use a transfer pencil. I trace the pattern onto tissue paper with it, then iron the pattern onto my fabric. It washes out easily.
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  1:04:17 PM  Show Profile
will iron my area and spray with starch, wait to dry and then use a pencil and a regular paper, I will print it out backwards to the norm using Microsoft Word and then trace it onto a regular paper and then do the old fashioned rub transfer.

I will also print it out normal sometimes and if the fabric is this enough just put it under and directly transfer with a no 2 pencil

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  09:04:25 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad I found this because I was wondering the same thing. Thanks!

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind."
Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic How do I transfer a design? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page