Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Craftswomen, Artisans, lend me your ears. Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Craftswomen, Artisans, lend me your ears. Question Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  11:09:08 AM  Show Profile
Ok...just a bit of a "thing" here...I am trying to purchase a piece of pottery for my MIL for Christmas. I bought myself a piece a few years ago from a lady at Miss Wilma's July 4th Orchard sale, and we have been unable to track her down. So, I contacted the potter directly...she won't ship her items-to retail customers or to wholesale customers, either. So, I can a) go to North Carolina, or b) buy from a host of retail shops in North Carolina and Virginia...the list had 12. Out of those 12, 8 also won't ship (and carry all North Carolina artisan hand made items), 2 of the shops have only the "holiday" pieces and 2 of the shops are out of business.

Here's my question. And bear with me, because I live to support local and handmade artisans. THESE are the gifts I want to buy to support artists and to give to everyone I know...thoughtful, unique, well-made by-hand items.....

Why make it so hard to come by? Truly, how often do people buy artisan made crafts over say, something at the Gap because it's easier. I'm determined to get this pottery and have spent my whole lunch hour on my cell phone (thank goodness for unlimited long distance!) Some of the artists websites I have looked at (to buy items) don't even exist anymore, or are permanently "under construction" or don't give any description of what they have, just a phone number or email.

And yep, I shop Etsy, too, frequently (4 of my gifts for folks come from Etsy this year) but I looked for pottery and didn't find what I was looking for...sorry if a fellow farmgirl is a potter!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Dec 10 2009 11:09:40 AM

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  2:36:18 PM  Show Profile
Jonni
I have a few pieces from Grandpa's Pottery in Wilmington. It is a family owned business, they have a huge selection, and that is also where I got my freestanding sink bowl. THey are east of town on SR 73. Not sure what you are looking for stylewise, but give them a call; they should be able to help.
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  5:25:02 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I know a guy, well not personally, but my guy does. He makes Yellow Banks pottery. I don't believe he has a website. But I think he makes some really lovely pieces. If you are ever up this way, give me a shout out and we can go up to his shop. We could make a fun farmgirl day of it. :)

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  5:44:25 PM  Show Profile
Berea, KY has great potters, so does Hadley Pottery in Louisville--let's see, also Brown Co., Indiana (Nashville, IN)...Pottery is not my thing, but I seem to run accross it all the time. Berea, KY I know has a website....just google it...hope this helps!

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  05:20:01 AM  Show Profile
Jonni many of the potters will not ship because the pieces don't hold up well to the flinging and flopping that the postal service puts them thru. I had ordered a piece from another state and had a friend pick it up and ship it to me. It was packed very very well and still was broken when I got it. We tried it one more time (I really want the piece) She packed it in a box that was HUGE I mean about a foot of space completely around the piece and filled the box with packing peanuts then wrapped the bowl heavily with packing paper, put the bowl in the box and packed the top with packing peanuts. I got to me safely but the shipping cost was almost as much as the bowl. Just not worth it.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  05:59:43 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I was looking through Southeren Living last night and found an article on Seagrove Pottery in N. Carolina. I see what you mean. I went to the website and there is some info and a contact page but not a whole lot to go on there. It's www.benowenpottery.com. He looks pricey, too.

I sure wish my friend Mrs. T still made pottery. I always gave her pottery as gifts and everyone who got some loved it. I have alot of her things, too. Very simple but very beautiful. I hope you can find someone like that near you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  07:42:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- as Victoria pointed out it's the shipping that is the problem. I am sure the potters would love your business but most of the shipping goes through at least 1 automated sorting system and those systems are designed for efficiency not delicacy. I have seen more things than I care to admit get broken from rough handling- even when packed very well. Do you have any friends or family in the area of the potter that could go pick it up for you and meet you half way?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  08:04:47 AM  Show Profile
That and pottery is fairly heavy as well. SO the cost can be prohibitive. As an artist, I try to make it easy for people to buy my work, but sometimes it isnt. For one thing, if I make one of something, it might cost me 50 dollars to buy materials to make it, I may be able to make 10 of them for that cost, but it ends up costing me more to make one order, rather than doing it by volume. That probably doesnt apply for the pottery but for other things I know for me it does...

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  3:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Jonni,

I have quite a few pieces from Grandpa's pottery . I have several round pieces that are shallow that I cook Jennifer Gleasons recipe for cornbread in. I got a little carried away and bought 20 lbs of the whole corn to grind at home.
There a family that makes pottery together. They have many different styles. I find the work from Brook to be earthy and down to earth, I am a big fan of his work. I think they would ship. You can call them and they will describe the color of the type you are interested in. I think you would love their work. I am hooked on it. I copied their number and info and will try to paste it to this email. Hope this helps.

Linda

Grandpa's Pottery
Pottery has been a major focus for the Storer family for many years. Even before opening Grandpa’s Pottery in 1991, Ray Storer was deeply immersed in crafting pottery. He began teaching pottery while he was a school principal. Grandpa’s Pottery is a family venture. The family team is comprised of Ray and Betty Storer, their son, Brooke, and his wife, Amy, who is from Thailand. Each family member has his or her own area of focus in the product.....

Address
Grandpa's Pottery
3558 State Route 73 West
Wilmington, OH 45177

Phone Number(s)
Toll-Free Phone: (877) 428-4748
Local Number: (937) 382-6442
Fax: (937) 382-1738

E-mail Address(es)
General Information: info@clintoncountyohio.com

Hours
Monday: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Tuesday: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Wednesday: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Thursday: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Friday: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Saturday: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Special Hours: Appointments are available

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  7:31:53 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jonni, I hope you find what you are looking for. In the meantime, I'm with those who say it's the cost and manner of shipping that make it difficult; once my mother went for an old English piece and by the time the artist quoted shipping it was actually MORE than the pot! DOH!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
Plan to save America the old fashioned way!
http://wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com/2009/05/big-project.html
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Craftswomen, Artisans, lend me your ears. Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page