Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Peonies... Next Topic  

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  12:37:11 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
I went to pick some stuff up from a "freecycle" person, and she has a peonie BUSH growing in front of her house. Anyway, I commented on them to her in email and said I loved them. (I wasn't sure they grew in Florida, lilacs don't that I know of...two of my top 10 favorite flowers.) She said if I knew how to get a "start" from them that I was more than welcome to get some.

Anyone know how to propagate peonies from established plants? Thanks in advance!

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  12:54:08 PM  Show Profile
Peonies are very hard to kill. I think you just need to dig down to the roots-(they are kind of tubular and meaty ) and get a healthy amnt in a sort of rootball and replant them..Probably need to wait till the plant is "peeking" out of the ground and take a slab from top to bottom.
I had some very established bushes and wanted to plant something else against that fence ...I dont think I ever got all of them to stop coming up~~!
Jan

Edited by - theherblady on Mar 30 2006 12:54:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  12:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
They are out of the ground in the form of a bush about 3 feet tall. They've got it trimmed like you would a hedge or something! But then, things grow differently here in FL. Vincas or periwinkles die out up north, but end up being small bushes here too. So I just need part of the root?

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  1:47:15 PM  Show Profile
You can go to google and type in Peonies, lots of info there I'am sure. But as I remember, it is best TO move or divide them in the fall.
NANCYJO
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  4:09:50 PM  Show Profile
it sounds like what she has are actually peony trees or Chinese peonies. i don't think that they propogate as easily as the more common plant and if i remember correctly they grow much more slowly than regular peonies. You might be better off just purchasing one of your own rather than risking damaging someone else's. i think i've seen some reasonably priced bare root peony trees at the grocery store this spring, so they should be readily available. And the fall is the best time to plant peonies although i've done it with the regular plants at a lot of different times of the year and they've done just fine.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  6:24:25 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Thanks for the info, I'll just keep an eye out for my own from a nursery or store. Do you think if I had a large enough pot I could plant them in there? We're currently renting, but hoping to find a bigger place before this time next year and I'd hate to have to leave them. Or maybe I'll just wait until next year, they just smell so scrumptious!!!

Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  6:29:14 PM  Show Profile
Oooh I sure do miss peonies! My mom had them in the front yard growing up. They were so pretty...

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  8:04:44 PM  Show Profile
I found this great article on tree peonies. A pot would actually be a great idea for your own tree peony, i think especially where you are located for good drainage.

http://www.treepeony.com/planting.htm

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  11:00:08 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
That's an awesome link with information, thanks so much! Blooms up to 1 foot across? I can only wish!

Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  04:50:40 AM  Show Profile
i'm so glad it was helpful. You've got me thinking now that maybe i need to plant my own too! They're so beautiful.

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Peonies... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page