ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  10:44:10 AM  Show Profile
So my daughter is 7 1/2 months old, healthy, gorgeous, and skinny. She lost a little weight at 5 months, put some back on, and then she got H1N1 and lost weight again. She's currently at her highest weight ever (12 lbs 5 oz) and needs to gain more. I need ideas of what to feed her that will fatten her up healthily. She's allowed to eat baby cereals, meat, vegetables, most oils, fruits, yogurt, ricotta cheese, and tofu. I make all my own baby foods and do not buy jarred baby food unless I'm traveling. Usually she eats one meal of cereal a day and two meals of other things. So far, I've come up with:

Pureed boiled chicken thigh meat with vegetables (I'm almost out of frozen chicken puree and am going to make beef shanks in the crockpot next)

Whole milk yogurt mixed with mashed avocado.

Whole milk yogurt mixed with sunflower butter and mashed banana

Coconut milk pureed with banana (baby smoothie!)

Any other ideas of what to do that's got healthy fat and lots of nutrition for a growing girl?

Edited by - ivmeer on Dec 08 2009 10:48:19 AM

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  11:23:35 AM  Show Profile
When my son was a baby, he would pretty much only eat finger foods- no spooning food into him! Brown rice went right through him, so I made white basmati rice and ran it through the " Happy Baby" baby food grinder with other foods. The sticky rice made it easy to form balls that he could pick up and eat. Things I added to the balls were almond butter, cooked veggies, and nutitional yeast. He was a little older when he ate some of that- at your baby's age, he was not a dependable eater but he nursed. He was more like 9 months old when he ate 2-3 meals a day and ate broadly. My friend's son was slow to gain and not for a real reason like the bad flu- she put cold pressed flax oil on his food. I used to put almond butter on " cheerios" type cereal , made one by one, and my son ate that from a little pile. True Cheerios have tri- sodium phophate though, used for scrubbing floors, so I do not buy them! Some babies are allergic to certain berries ( mostly strawberries), but berries have so many anti- oxidants and minerals/ vitamins , they would seem to help. I would try blueberries and cherries to start, though this time of year, they would be frozen, right? Yams with cocnut milk/ yogurt/ etc. Slippery elm can be made into a gruel that is very sustaining- the recipe is packed but it is very good for digestion and very nourishing. I have heard of feeding porrige of chia seeds, but I have no info about it. I fed legumes at 9 months- 1 yr and those are nutrtious, too. You can soak something overnight, like lentils or dry beans, rinse carefully many times, cook all day in crock pot ( or soak in the day and cook at night), have some beans to make for dinner or a soup, and save some out for baby. Do you freeze baby food in ice cube trays and then store the cubes? Legumes can be run through the baby food mill, and frozen for later. Top with olive oil and nutritional yeast if baby digests beans well alone. Oatmeal can be the base of cereal meals, and any cereal meals made from scratch will be more nutritious than from a box. We tended to mash up whatever we were eating in the food mill, or whatever part of it was baby friendly.
I hope this helps!
~ Mary LD
Texas

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  11:28:30 AM  Show Profile
We went to New Hampshire this summer and picked some blueberries, and I still have a bag of them in my freezer. I do freeze my baby food in ice cube trays.
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  11:31:08 AM  Show Profile
Awesome!
I grew up not too far from you, in Norwich, CT! Great that you can make little batches of things and use the cubes later. Hopefully my post was not too long winded!

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  11:33:03 AM  Show Profile
Alas, I'm not a native. I've only lived in RI for a year and a half. I'm originally from Chicago, but my husband is from here.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  9:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amanda- when Nora was that age we were starting her one some more solid foods too and I found she really liked to have things in front of her at all times. Can she have cheddar or Mozarella cheese? Those were some of the things I fed Nora. I would make a little baby buffet for each meal and see what she selected the most of out of a large selection and then she would get fed more of that for about a week and then another baby selection. I read a scientific study that showed that babies will pick a balanced diet and/or will eat a wide variety of things at the right amounts to fulfil their dietary needs if given a choice. We also did some dried foods too.

One thing I did keep on hand was baby friendly (no honey) soft granola bars for if we were out shopping/church etc. That helped as well. Another thing that can help with calories is giving her the higher calorie juices.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  2:32:55 PM  Show Profile
juice, mashed potatoes, mashed carrots, green beans, banana and oatmeal cereal, of course the whole milk helps too

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  2:23:25 PM  Show Profile
These area all great ideas and I agree with them. The only other thing I may suggest is that you use caution that the little thing doesn't get constipated.
coffeemom
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  3:02:25 PM  Show Profile
Alee, she's just cutting her first teeth, so those are great ideas for a few months from now, but not yet.

I just gave her mashed sweet potatoes and ricotta cheese thinned wiht a little water for the first time yesterday. I've never seen such a happy girl.
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  4:37:11 PM  Show Profile
My daughter was so thin and lost weight because I could not nurse her I was so weak. I nearly lost my mind with the doc. telling me to give her formula. If you can nurse her that is the best and will fatten her up quick. If you do you need to eat things that contain good fats that you can pass on to her. I would give her all the organic foods you can. After having the flu at such a young age her little immune system needs to have no chemicals and such. My daughter also after she was a year old was a very picky eater and ate oatmeal and waffles at every meal. I changed doc. from a male to female and she said that give her what she will eat and don't worry about what people say. Finally, at age 5 she started eating regular meals and what was on other peoples plates too! We all rejoiced. She was tall and thin. Now at 19 she is short and a good average weight.
Also, find a good homeopathic doctor they can do wonders.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage tote bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
Go to Top of Page

des
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Desiree
West Hurley NY
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  12:52:11 PM  Show Profile
If you are nursing, she does not need anything else to fatten her up. Just give her a few days of unrestricted access to the breast, perhaps take her to bed for a day and just relax. Breastmilk is all she needs for the first year. Anything else is just to introduce her to eating solids, and the solids are an inferior replacement for mamas milk. The avocado is great! Avocado is full of good fats. Pumpkin and sweet potato are good for her too. Good luck.

Farmgirl Sister #280
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  2:35:11 PM  Show Profile
Desiree, my pediatrician would disagree with you, and I can't take her to bed all day because I have another child. Solids are more calorie-dense than breastmilk, and they will help her to gain weight.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  03:51:23 AM  Show Profile
How about p-nut butter?

Since you are into the home made this is really easy if you have a food processor

Makes it tastier than the processed garbage anyway!
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  4:04:52 PM  Show Profile
I'm holding off on peanut butter, but I do buy sunflower butter, which is similar and less allergenic.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  03:47:47 AM  Show Profile
Ah. It is mighty tasty!

I forgot almond butter and cashew is really good too. But unless the nuts are purchased in bulk, the pre made stuff can be kind of expensive
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Recipes for fattening a baby Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page