Red River Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

183 Posts

Nancy
Ardmore Oklahoma
USA
183 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  11:13:45 AM  Show Profile
My mom taught me to sew, she always made all my clothes and my sisters clothes. I had alot of feedsack dresses because Daddy was an exterminator and he sprayed our local feedmill so they gave him free empty sacks :) Boy I wish I still had some! They are EXPENSIVE now if you find them! Even then my grandmother ( nana ) was my biggest influence. She did it ALL. She even made trash cans from magazines and newspapers, made all her rugs, cloths, tablecloths, ect ect and had a garden that was unbelievable! Then her rose garden...mmmm can smell those roses...knew the bible inside and out. I remember my late daddy saying when she passed from this life....if she doesn't make it to heaven, none of us stand a chance.....

~Count your blessings instead of sheep~ (Bing Crosby) ~Nancy~
SANTA BRIGADE
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  11:59:38 AM  Show Profile
I had the hardest time learning the sewing machine. my mom showed me how patterns work and zippers and button holes, but I comepletely didn't understand tension. I would get sooo frustrated! My mother compared me to her mom, who would curse and yell and her machine and then oil the crap out of it thinking that oil would 'fix it' and all that did was make that old machine smoke! ha! I was determined though! My mom had her machine from the 60's and I jammed that thing up really good on more than a few occasions. my moms idea of explaination left a lot to be desired. but just a few months ago I happened into a seamstress job (by God's grace! we sure need this income right now) and the job came with a super fancy machine, and the machine actually explained tension to me! whoda thunkit?! So now I'm sewing right along, no problems at all, although I couldn't stand the idea of someone who knows what they are doing watching me, because I get the job done, but I'm sure there are more conventional ways to do things :)

and I taught myself to knit about three years ago, and crochet about 6 months ago and I'm still learning embroidery, and I really want to do a pretty red sampler, does anyone know if there are any books out to show what a good sampler looks like?

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic When did you learn? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page