Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Telling Your Kids The Truth? Next Topic
Page: of 2

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  10:08:01 AM  Show Profile
How old were your children when you finally fessed up about...about...a certain red-clad you-know-who?

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  10:12:53 AM  Show Profile
Well, my little one doesn't even KNOW that gentleman, yet, but I was about 9 when I finally decided (after a couple of years of speculation) that he wasn't for real. It was July, and I walked in to the family room to ask my dad, who was watching the golf match. I simply said, "dad, is Santa real?" And he said, "......no, Jon, he isn't. But this will crush your mom, so please don't tell her I said as much." Mom was VERY fond of the magic of Santa!

So, I walked away, feeling really, really sad, but then went along with the magic anyway for years after :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  10:26:36 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
Well, my children are 25, 21, and 17 and I have always told them that Christmas is a very magic time of the year. I have told them that Christmas has always been a very special time of year for me and that I hope that they will feel the same for all their lives. I get my husband and children so excited that they share in the wonder of it all with me.We bake cookies and attend church concerts and programs and visit the park where Santa stops every year...is this the confession you wanted to know about?!!!Hugs and blessings, Pam

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  10:38:40 AM  Show Profile
..with my girls when they were little (now 25 and 22 yrs old), I have told them from the begining, about the true story of a very real man named St. Nick. His history was worth knowing. We still hung our stockings up and we each secretly put little things in there through out the Christmas season. On Christmas we made a special birthday cake and had a birthday party for Jesus.

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766
(29 Sept 2009)

Edited by - Karrieann on Dec 04 2009 10:39:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  11:13:48 AM  Show Profile
I figured it out for myself-I forget how old I was-and after a time of feeling bummed about it I realised that Santa lives on in each of us who nurture that part of our nature. In a sense,we're all "Santas Helpers!"

http://www.pluckyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.mandochicks.com
http://mandolinbabe.net
http://www.mandolinbabe.com
http://www.mtndulcimer.com

@MandolinChick on Twitter
fingerpickin Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  11:37:43 AM  Show Profile
My parents never told us he was real. We always knew Santa was like a fairytale. And we knew mom and dad bought our girts on Christmas. I don't feel deprived at all.
My sister told the neighbor kid when he was about 4 that Santa wasn't real; and boy did his parents get mad!
Then my littlest sister told her best friend when she was about 9. The girl was very upset; and so were her parents!
Today, I love the vintage images of St. Nick (or Santa.)and buy them when I find them.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  12:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I figured it out in about 3 or 4th grade when I realized that Santa had the same handwriting as my dad! I found the whole Santa tradition as a kid fun, wonderous and enriching. I wasn't too bummed to realize that Santa was actually mom and dad, but I think I would have been if they had come out and said "Time to end this" so to speak. I like the self-discovery way the best.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  12:21:59 PM  Show Profile
What truth about the red-clad you know who?!!!

A few days ago I was at one of my daughters. I was playing a game with 6 year old Ella, and 3 year old Jonah. Jonah and I were on the same team. Ella asked(this was a true or false game) "Is Santa Claus real?" Jonah and I both shouted "yes" at the same time!

His mom and dad have tried to tell him (they believe in total honesty with their children) that Santa is not real, that Daddy is Santa Claus, but do you know he just emphatically does not believe them!

As for me..... when I was 6 years old, I was woken up one night, and my mom brought me downstairs where she and my dad were having a party. There, to my delight, was Santa Claus, come just to visit me. I sat on his lap and told him my Christmas wishes, then went back up to bed.
Of course he's real! ;)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

If you rest, you rust. Helen Hayes

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  12:22:10 PM  Show Profile
My sons are 28 & 29 and they know they better believe in the man in the red suit because they know mom could never afford to buy them gifts for Jesus birthday.
They tried to tell me they found the gifts in the attic one year, of course they did, did they really expect Santa to be able to stop at every house. He always dropped the gifts off early to the ones he knew have been good all year. They even tried to tell me that my hand writing looked the same as Santa. Well yes I said God is not Santa, God remembers everyone's name where Santa needs a little help thats just one more reasons moms are so important.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  12:45:35 PM  Show Profile
My kids broke the news to me and I just didn't want to believe it. but it is the idea and the magic of it all.
Christmas was and is a religious time for us so Santa came in second. MB
I think my favorite movie as of now is Polar Express---It tells the meaning.
http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Dec 04 2009 12:46:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Futters
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Michelle & Ashley
CA
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  12:46:20 PM  Show Profile
Ummmm, what are you trying to say???

I tell my 17 year old that if she stops believing, then presents will probably stop! Guess what? She still believes. (Okay, she at least she tells me she does.)
HEE HEE!!!!

Have a good day!

Michelle
Farmgirl #760

Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity.
http://thetatteredquiltcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  1:03:08 PM  Show Profile
I figured it out when I was very young...My parents simply didn't do holidays. Somewhere along the line I came to believe in the love and charity that is Saint Nick, or Father Christmas all on my own in spite of my hum-bug family.
My wise paternal grandma once told me the Santa meant love, and as long as you believed in love
Santa was with you and spoke to your heart....so at 49 I still BELIEVE in the spirit of Santa =)
So hear is a tea toast to magic, miracles and love! I was quite young when she said those words to me, but it still works =)

Cheers!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  2:42:21 PM  Show Profile
See, Virgina, there really is a Santa Claus.... :)

I know I am absolutely no help at all about the original question being asked here.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

If you rest, you rust. Helen Hayes

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  2:48:39 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
We always new that Santa claus was not real from the time we were little.
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  4:08:41 PM  Show Profile
It felt kind of weird when I spent a christams eve with my brother and his family and we ate the cookies and tried to leave a mess of crumbs. Brother drank the milk. Funny the looks that abounded between the adults when he pointed out the eaten cookies the next moring.

I still feel a little "magic" closer to the time, and perhaps that's the Christmas Spirit.
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  4:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Santa isnt real? Uhoh... ; )

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  4:33:48 PM  Show Profile
My parents told me when I was 12 although my friends had been saying it for years. I refused to believe it and even now there is a part of me that still believes. Every year I STILL get a gift from santa under the tree. He has the same handwriting he did when I was a kid and it has been 10 years since I lived at home and I live 14 hours from my parents so i know they arent sneaking under the tree at night.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  5:42:06 PM  Show Profile
My kids are 29 this month, 31, 33, and 36, plus the two grandkids that live here also and they are 5 and 6. Yes they all still beleive in Santa, cause I've always told them that the day they stopped, thats when they would get underware for Christmas, lol.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  5:50:52 PM  Show Profile
Who said Santa is not real? Really!!!! I saw him last year coming down the chimney.
I will never not believe in Santa.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1705 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1705 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  6:04:00 PM  Show Profile
My children are 27,25 and 22 years old. Mrs Claus still signs every gift To____ Love Santa My children know that Christmas is sooo special to me and they still beleive in the The Jolly Old Man and Mrs. Claus. And the meaning of what Christmas is all about. Oh I still believe and I'm pushing sixty.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  6:43:35 PM  Show Profile
Laurie:
Did you get snow in Alvin? I'm still waiting here in SW Louisiana.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  11:58:21 AM  Show Profile
I never got into talking about Santa with my kids...couldn't get into it at all. I love the season and the decorating and the gifts. I love that we can celebrate Jesus' birthday as a nation (despite the ACLU) so I don't need to do Santa. We do talk about Sanata, and joke, like "Time for bed, Santa is coming..." but my kids just know that it means that they need to give mom and dad room to do their thing. I guess Christmas isn't about Santa for us.

Carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1705 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1705 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  2:35:32 PM  Show Profile
Marley, I have beensooo busy just got to the post and yes we had snow in Alvin and it stuck to the ground for a little while. My almost two year old grand daughter was catching snowflakes on her tounge. It was so cute.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  6:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
I think i was around 9 when my dad told me he wasnt real. Than my he was relieved that he didn't have to drink the warm milk we put out for "santa" the evening before because mom made him just so it looked real! I was bummed when i found out, but i can just laugh now because my dad is safe from the warm probably spoiled milk.

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/

Check out my ETSY store too! I'm loving it!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Claudiascraftshop
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  8:37:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Laurie, I keep my horses in Alvin, I live in Clear Lake, As far as the man in the red suite being real, well, my kids learned about St Nick in Scotland where he is referred to as Father Christmas and wears a long green coat. They have a problem with the fat man in the red suite. But, they know when they stop believing then there are no more Father Christmas gifts and no more stockings. They still all hang their stockings and my husband and I get stocking. They are 21, 22 and 23 and about 4 years ago strange things started showing up in the stockings that the Father Christmas that I know didn't put there. So maybe now I believe again. Where else would those things come from if not from Father Christmas. I love my daughters and those little added things in the stockings are extra special because of who put them there.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  9:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What a fun topic! I might have to sneak some unsuspected surprises into Stockings this year!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Telling Your Kids The Truth? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page