Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Diet ideas needed- IBS, allergies, hypogycemia
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Diet ideas needed- IBS, allergies, hypogycemia Next Topic  

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  3:24:15 PM  Show Profile
Hello, All!
I am getting dragged down with food and weight ( loss ) issues. I have a few considerations that affect my diet, and I am looking for ideas on how to increase my energy and gain weight.
I have hypoglycemia, which means whole foods are better, must have low sugar, frequent meals needed.
I also have IBS- too much insoluble fiber makes me miserable. Some whole foods are just out or need to be limited. Can't have rich foods or too many raw foods. I am allergic to eggs and dairy - which are also IBS triggers. I am also allergic to peanuts, and genrally react to nuts and granola type foods due to IBS.
People are always commenting on how thin I am, how much willpower I must have to avoid high calorie foods. Most of such foods simply do not agree with me.
I would like to start working out- was bedridden a couple of yrs ago after a botched appendectomy with multiple, life threatening complications. I muscle wasted away 20 lb! Down to 89 lb! I never rehabbed my body because I had to get back to work and I did not have the energy for both. I know I will need more calories to work out, but I really do not know where to start.

It's kind of complicated! If anyone has ideas or just encouragement, let me know!
~ Mary LD
Texas

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)

Stacy Lynn
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Stacy
Wayland New York
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  4:56:11 PM  Show Profile
MaryLD,
I have gone back to college online to get my bachelor's degree in nutrition science. I would love to give you some suggestions. My advice is to find a nutritionist in your area and pay them whatever it costs for their help. It will be invaluable to your long-term health. I would be happy to help. I will have my degree in Aug. 2011, so am not an expert yet. I will put some thought into it and email again.
Stacy Lynn

Stacy Lynn
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  5:41:53 PM  Show Profile
Dear Stacy Lynn,
Thanks for the advice. I have been mulling over the idea of doing just that. Money is an issue right now, for sure. Please do send me any suggestions you might have, and when my sprained hand heals up, I'll make you a surprise!
Some things I can't have very often:
large amounts of legumes
soy- rarely eat but sometimes tofu is ok
processed food
CORN! I try to avoid this.
Thanks again, and the thought counts double right now.
My Best,
Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  04:24:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mary!
I was diagnosed with low blood sugar 10 years ago. My dad and my brother both have it also, and it was no surprise, just was diagnosed by a dr. who saw my blood work and slapped "LBS" on my chart.
I also have IBS, but not diagnosed. I know what it is, I am a natural learner and figured it out on my own! :)
The two together are very hard to deal with aren't they? At the time I was diagnosed with LBS I was told essentially to eat low carb, something I had done a few years before to lose weight, and loved it. But eating that way with IBS does not work.
I still struggle with both, but not as much as I used to. Some of it may be my age(I just turned 50 this year) and some of it may be that I am figuring out what I can and can't eat.
Coffee- well it's a definite trigger for IBS, but I looooove my coffee! I drink it in the morning, but am trying to go to tea in the afternoon.
I recently discovered that eating dried beans rather than canned beans is much easier on my body! Not sure why, I'm sure a scientist could explain it, less processing maybe, but I love beans anyways, so that was good to find out.
I am not a whole wheat bread person. I really do not like it- much. After all I grew up on Wonder bread, lol!! What I do is, if I am not going to eat wheat bread, I don't eat bread at all. I try not to eat processed foods very much, because if I do I will suffer!
My biggest problem area? Going out to eat somewhere, and eating a rich meal, usually later than normal meal time! So, we just don't do that very often.
Well. Maybe we can help each other. It is good to meet you!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

If you rest, you rust. Helen Hayes

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  2:16:47 PM  Show Profile
Dear Brenda,
Thanks for writing!
I understand about the small nuances of what can be eaten, and what cannot be eaten! I just cannot do coffee at all, or any caffiene, really. I'm just " one of those people"!
Since rich foods are bad, what high calorie foods can you eat? I can have butter and olive oil, and some simple eggless and dairyless except butter ( allergies) cookies/ cakes. But not every day.
~ Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  6:15:50 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried the GI diet (the Glycemic Index diet)? I know it's supposed to be for weight loss, but it's full of whole natural foods, it promotes healthy eating, frequent eating & gives you some recipes. http://www.gidiet.co.uk/ (You can pick your country from there as well). I haven't started it yet since I want to start fresh in January when things are a little less hectic. But they have some good things in the book.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Peace2u2
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Debi
Hudson NY
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  7:50:58 PM  Show Profile
IBS is difficult to live with. Kefir ( plain, unsweetened ) has been found to decrease the symptoms of IBS. Kefir is a cultured grain product. Looks like milk but is a probiotic cultured grain. Most come with 12 - 19 probiotics in every cup. These little powerhouses get rid of the bad stuff, encourage growth of the good stuff and decrease swelling in the intestinal tract ( well, everywhere actually )
I will be honest... I wasn't pleased with the taste at first. Blending in a flavor is helpful. Since you have IBS, blueberries and strawberries are out. Too many seeds. For the IBS tract, try a little lemon jello mixed in. One cup of Kefir/ day until you feel better. Adding some greek (plain, fat free) yogurt helps too. It is another probiotic food. Chobanni and Oikos have the highest amount of probiotics, least amount of sugars, and high protein. Sugars are not generally good for the IBS intestine. Builds yeast.
Kefir has a somewhat bitter taste. I tried chocolate in it... it was awful! Horrible combination! It took me awhile to figure out that the citrus flavors were best. It is actually refreshing then.
Good luck!

All things good are possible with a bit of sun, soil, and love.
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  6:46:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Debi!
I'll check it out! Where do you get yours?
~ MAry LD

Go to Top of Page

OhioValley Farmchick
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Lisa
Waterford OH
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  03:26:57 AM  Show Profile
Mary LD,

I also agree with the probiotic approach for starters. I used to deal with IBS symptoms. I took a good probiotic supplement from our local health food store. It helps replace good bacteria that has been destroyed and also helps improve the immune system. Extra Vit. C helps with alleries. Mary, I have a small booklet on IBS I would be happy to send you. E-mail me if you would like and I'll send it to you. I used to have severe IBS symptoms and know how frustrating it can be.

Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might...Ecclsiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  09:11:30 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello Mary, Do you have diverticulitis? Have you had a colonoscopy? I had been diagnosed with IBS for over 10 years. It took its toll for sure. Not being able to work for fear of messing my self, wearing diapers and $25,000. of medical testing, drugs and terrible reactions and advice. Last Spring after a routine colonoscopy that they did biopsies with they changed my diagnose to microscopic Colitis and told me the only medicine out there left for me to try was a new steroid that dissolves in the colon instead of the gut. So I said OK reluctantly until I went to pick up the RX $150.00 my cost and was told I was lucky as most insurances do not cover this drug. I did some research and decide not to give it a try as the side effects and the fact that it would be live long I just put it on the back burner. I was then introduced to a wonderful Herbalist who put me on a Multienzyme, Probiotic, and Okra Pepsin supplements along with B complex and D. After 3 months I was able to stop wearing diapers and return to some sort of life with out running to the bathroom. After almost a year I am Great. Sometimes have about of the trots but can control them until I get to the bathroom. I can usually think back and see what caused it. Stress, Sesame seed, to much coffee or raw foods. I also uses Rice protein powder when I was really bad and losing weight by the hour it seemed. Keep researching, asking questions, and talk to homeopathic advisers. Good luck. It is a long road but we are all here to help you on the journey.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 4 with 1 on the way.
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  3:56:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Betty Jo!
I'm not a trots person, I'm more of a pain. I mean it mostly causes severe pain! You are right, stress, seeds, and raw food are too much for my IBS. I don't eat too much raw stuff anymore-
Who is your herbalist?
~ Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

gardening gayla
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Gayla
Topeka Kansas
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  8:53:35 PM  Show Profile
After my diagnosis of IBS, I went on the brat diet that they put children on to manage digestive upsets. That's bananas, rice, applesauce and tea. I ate only those foods for quite some time until my insides healed and then added chicken. By adding a food at a time you can tell exactly what causes irritation or an allergic reaction. After a year and a half of this, I have a pretty balanced diet. If you can't stand wheat bread, try the new white whole grain bread. I ate only celiac safe bread until recently but find that the whole grain white is acceptable now. My oldest children struggle with an acceptable diet and have found that a boiled white potato will sometimes settle things down. I tried it recently and it also worked well for me. Someone told me that to be able to eat and process bread that you have to drink plenty of water with it. This info came from someone doing autopsies. Bread wads up in the stomach just like it does if you squeeze it in your hand but if you wet it it just falls apart and is easily passed on through. She was told that they often find big wads of bread in the stomach of someone who has had eating issues and it sure makes sense to me. My heart goes out to you as we sure know how you suffer as it seems to be a familial affliction with us. I personally know a woman who ate only bananas for several years and held her weight better than she ever had before. It must have been very boring but much less painful than she was when eating other things. She was eventually able to add a few other things to her diet and lived a long life. Best of luck!

Blessings, from a country woman in the city. Gayla
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  12:15:09 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello Mary. Her name is Cheryl here is her website. http://www.hshc.net/

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 4 with 1 on the way.
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  06:39:20 AM  Show Profile
One of my local health food stores has a nutritionist on staff that does appointments at no charge. The chain is Vitamin Cottage. Do you have one near you? Ask your local stores and ask if they have this service. I also use agave syrup a lot. It helps the spikes to calm down. Try keeping a food diary and see what foods might be your triggers. Good luck, I know how this is. I have IBS and am struggling with gastritis. My weight issues go the other way though!
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  07:07:21 AM  Show Profile
I'll have to look and see about Vitamin Cottage- we have not been here in TX very long!
Thanks for the input!
~ Mary

Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  09:23:50 AM  Show Profile
I wonder if the GAPS diet could help you? http://gapsdiet.com/Home_Page.html

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  1:04:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh gee, tell me about it
I have that and colitis.
Diabetic type 2
lots of other conditions and diseases
If you find something that works for you let me know !
Prayers and hugs to you . hugs sheila

http://www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com/

http://www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Diet ideas needed- IBS, allergies, hypogycemia Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page