True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  06:00:42 AM  Show Profile
Hello, All!
A couple of Christmases ago, I picked up a little ready made Glogg mix- citron, raisins, cardamom, orange peel, cinnamon, coriander ( I think), and cloves along with other dried fruit including apricots and prunes. There were also almonds. I used it to make a non alocholic Glogg with apple cider, adding fresh orange peel, lemon juice, and extra of all the spices. The recipe on the bag said to serve it with a fresh dose of raisins and almonds in each cup, which I did. It was a HUGE hit at our holiday party. Last year, it was out of stock and I just kind of let it go. I did notice that citron can be hard to find and also contains additives..
Does anyone make Glogg?? Any special recipes?? I'm pretty sure I could wing it but I thought this would be a fun post! We met some families from Sweden at a party, and heard all about how strongly aloholic this fun drink can be- with a lot of joking about family traditions and the importance of lighting a sugar cone on fire in the middle of the punchbowl when served that way.
I'm an apple cider type, but post any recipes if you have them!
~ Mary LD
Texas

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  8:37:37 PM  Show Profile
I have a very old family recipe for GLOOG.....to be made on the winter solstice. It is VERY alcoholic. It's a lengthy recipe, but if you'd like, I'll post it on here...just let me know!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  10:43:31 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Oh Suzie... please share the recipe! My daughter, who is going to school in Sweden, had this drink for the first time just the other night. I would love to be able to make it for her when she comes back on the 30th of December.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog...Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  1:32:05 PM  Show Profile
There are a few recipes on allrecipies.com that sound really good.

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  7:18:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi Suzie,
I'd love to see your recipe. I can still make it with cider-
Mine was made on Winter Solstice the year I made it.
I'll check allrecipes.com, too. Has anyone bought citron before, other than the kind meant for fruitcake? There was citron in the mix I'd bought, and it seemed to be important as there was a bunch of it in there!
~ Mary LD
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  9:53:22 PM  Show Profile
It's lengthy~~and pretty boozy also!!
1.One bottle of Arrak Punch. If you can't find that do this: take 5 prunes, 25 raisins, the peel of 2 oranges,1/2# sugar, 1 pint of water/bring to a boil. Remove from stove and let stand for 1/2 day, then continue.
2.1 qt. of alcohol.
3.one bottle of good port wine.
4. small handful of raisins.
5. 4 cinnamon sticks
6. 3 whole cloves
7. The seeds from 6 cardamon pods.
8. If not port is available, then add 1/4 c. of sugar instead.
9.The meat of 4 walnuts.
10. The meat of 4 almonds-put in hot water, then skin.
11.As the last ing. goes in say:
SICT*PATRIBUS*SIT*DEUS*NOBLIS
12.Mix everything together and slowly stir heating to a boil. At the first sight of boiling say:
DECIES*REPETITA*PLACEBIT
13. Now simmer very low and cov. for 1/2 hour. Set outside to cool and then bottle off, putting some cinnamon and raisins in each bottle, but straining out everything else.
14. As the last bottle is filled say: Satis Verborm,FIAT*FIAT*FIAT.
15. Re-heat to drink.

Very old family recipe from my DH's side. This is to be made on the winter solstice.

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  04:47:12 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Suzie~
That looks authentic and delicious!
Thanks for sharing it with all of us. One of the dads I met from Sweden explained about bottling it and letting it age a year. Your recipe seems very suited to that. I also like the Arrak Punch recipe-the prunes in the mix I had really seemed to lend something.
Thanks again!!
Happy Solstice ' round the bend. Gosh, true Winter is 3 weeks away!
Mary LD
Texas
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Glogg Recipe?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page