Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic An Idea Book Next Topic  

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  6:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
When I was trying to keep up with flylady, I made that cleaning journal she suggests. Well I didn't/ don't use it much. So tonight I decided to tear it apart and make an idea book.

When I flip through a magazine and see a gift, craft or decorating idea that I like, I usually toss the magazine in a pile to "get back to" sometime later on. (Which of course hardly ever happens.) I have quite a few of those plastic sheet pockets to put in my binder. That way I can just tear out my favorite pages to place in the idea book. The rest of the magazine can be used for crafting or go to recycle or to a friend.

I also added an address book section in the back. Along with names and addresses, I'm adding likes, hobbies, interests, birthdays and other little tidbits for each person.

Just a little something I thought I would share.
Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/

tiff-tiff
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Tiffany
Austin Texas
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  06:39:11 AM  Show Profile
Melanie, I did the same thing - only problem . . . I've ended up with 5 (yes 5!!) binders. Ha! Crafts, gardening, places to visit, recipes, and decorating/furniture ideas! I've collected pages from magazines for too many years!
btw- I think I need an intervention ;-)

Farmgirl #164
www.itsatippinthing.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  2:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Hahaha!!! I didn't realize it could become an addiction.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TansyShy
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Joanna
Wasilla AK
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  05:37:52 AM  Show Profile  Send TansyShy an AOL message  Click to see TansyShy's MSN Messenger address  Send TansyShy a Yahoo! Message
ooh that magazine idea sounds wonderful. I should go through the magazines I've collected since I was little and do that with them to make space. I'm not sure I can part with my American Girl ones yet though lol.

Farm girl Sister #907

http://joannasmusings.blogspot.com/

Crayola skies for a thousand miles.
~Charmed Life~
Uptown Girls Soundtrack
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  07:43:20 AM  Show Profile
Good idea Melanie, I should try that.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  5:48:05 PM  Show Profile
I have even done that with my quilting magazines. After they are about two years old I find the patterns that I love, take those out and then pass the magazine to a friend for her to use. It has really helped with space and organization. I place the picture in the front and the pattern behind. Then all I have to do is look at the pretty picture and dream about all the quilts I want to make. Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  8:12:35 PM  Show Profile
Too funny, I have also been doing this for years. I have one for food, decorating, jewelry, clothing, crafts, traveling, and gardening. When we were getting ready to build our house I tore out all sorts of ideas. It was so helpful. I could identify the style that kept popping up in the pictures, I saw a trend in the colors I liked, the color of wood stain I preferred, carpet colors I liked, style of house I liked (ended up with a ranch), colors I wanted to paint the walls, furniture I liked, and even a bathroom we built with the combo of two pictures I found. That was a fun process. The nice thing is that our house was built in 1988 and I still like our choices. I don't think hubby or I would say that we would change much about the style of house or floor plan. The notebooks are a cheap way to create dreams for the future.
Go to Top of Page

brandyanne
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Debra

81 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  05:30:11 AM  Show Profile
Great idea!!
Deb
http://oldesaltboxscents.blogspot.com

http://pilgrimsandpioneers.blogspot.com

http://brandyannessoycandles.blogspot.com
http://pilgrimsandpioneersprimitives.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  06:09:05 AM  Show Profile
Great idea!! I like getting things organized!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  06:18:28 AM  Show Profile
Good idea Mel. There is so much good info out there this is a good way to gather it up.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  07:19:27 AM  Show Profile
I have so many magazines that I've saved because I want to make just about everything I see. This is a great idea. I'll go through and sort by types of projects and then when I get a hairbrain idea I'll know right where to go. Thanks girls for all the ideas on getting organized.

HUGS~~~Brenda

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  12:25:12 AM  Show Profile
I have a whole bookshelf full of magazines! Most of them I can't remember why I kept! I'm going to do the same thing as soon as the garden is out. I love the idea!

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Beth Jones
True Blue Farmgirl

3196 Posts

beth
tallassee alabama
3196 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  2:13:44 PM  Show Profile
I also do this with recipes from newspapers and magazines. I glue or tape things I want to keep in a spiral bound notebook. But like a lot of you, it does mount up. Smiles, Beth

You can never be to kind!
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  4:57:07 PM  Show Profile
Great minds think a like. I love this idea and I am going to write notes on my pages when I do something. I think that when I am gone I still want people to know what I think about things. I wish that my mammaw had done that it would mean a lot to have her thoughts on recipes and gardening things written down.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  9:02:10 PM  Show Profile
As you get older gals (heaven forbid)(lol) this ideabook becomes more fun because you can look through it and see the changes of interests in your lives, classes you have been to and how styles and fabric designs have changed. You might actually need something that you put in the book and you can actually FIND it. Great idea! It can also be your push to get going on the project. Good luck to all of you.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  1:56:52 PM  Show Profile
I have something similar called the dream book it has some seriously awesome bathrooms and kitchens in it. I use rubber cement to hold the pics in

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  12:22:47 PM  Show Profile
I have been saving favorite articles and stuff for years...I have it in binders also, but then I was collecting too much stuff, so now I save all my magazines from Jan1-Dec.31.....on Jan.1 every year, while the games are playing and my husband is glued to the TV, I round up any friends I can find and we sit and make new Year Collages! WE put our dreams, our goals, whatever we want on our collages...it's a riot! It's a big mess all day, but we've been doing it for about 7 or so years and it's a blast! Every year we have new faces! When we're done with the collage we hang it up...and you'd be surprised what things you get accomplished or what things come to fruition that show up on your collage board! We use a POSTER Board each....decoupage glue, and scissors and magazines...My sister doesn't use scissors, she just rips and tears and glues...we add glitter, sparklies, little momentos we collect or find...it's very fun...it's a great way to use up your magazines and then you don't feel bad about taking them out to recycling afterwards...It's healing and energizing all at once! the year before last my SIL was here, so she wanted to put hers into a book, so she glued it all into a book so she could carry it home on the airplane! too much fun! We got the idea from one winter, my daughter and I were caged up in the house for days during a flood in NO. CA. it rained for like 40 days straight, no kidding! So this is what we did, glued our favorite things into a scrapbook...it certainly took our minds off the rain outside!

Living for today! aka: Paper Rose
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  3:09:53 PM  Show Profile
When I was little (4 decades ago - ouch), my smart Mom made something similar, cutting interesting pictures out of magazines and gluing them into a spiral notebook. My little sister and I would sit with our mom and make up stories about the things in the pictures, and I still have it today! (thanks to Mom's hope chest) When my kids were born, my Grandmother started something similar by cutting out Hank the Cowdog stories that ran in her local newspaper, gluing them into a spiral notebook, and sending it on to me. So the kids and I go through magazines - after I have removed articles/photos/etc I NEED for my own Idea Book! - and the kids pick out pictures that we glue into their spiral together. They're both preschoolers and we homeschool, so this is a neat way to really get our imaginations moving!

~TJ - lovin' the Idea Book idea!!

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." -CS Lewis
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2010 :  07:41:58 AM  Show Profile
TJ Hank the Cowdog was the only way my son made his required reading goals thru grade school. What a great series that is.
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic An Idea Book Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page