Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 Apologizing for your creative room
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Apologizing for your creative room Next Topic
Page: of 2

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  10:11:38 AM  Show Profile
I lost my crafting/sewing room to my son when he needed to move back in. I kinda have a corner of the family room and from time to time I take over the dining room table. I'm lucky that everyone in the family is a crafty/creative person so when my projects creep they just giggle. I'd love to have a dedicated space again someday.

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

missgive
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Kim
Blairsville Georgia
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  1:39:35 PM  Show Profile
When I was a single mom, living with just the kids in our own home, I had a super craft room - a whoel sun-porch, 10' by 17' with wall-to-wall windows on three sides. and it opened into my kitchen and dining room. I got married again, and sold my house. Since we married, my husband and I have had to share an 8' x 10' room - share mind you- and it has been tough. We created an addition to my cabin in the mountains to move there this year after our youngest graduates. Besides adding a "winter pantry porch", a bedroom for us and a laundry, I created a studio for me - just me - and in trade gave my husband the room we currently use as a bedroom for his den AND our out-building as his own work-shop. My new room is 12' x 18' and I planned all my plugs right where I wanted them. I had windows built in to specs and my lighting is also specially designed for my work - and I get the view of the mountains and our woods year round and super lighting. Neat? Proabbly is the neatest it ever will be now, with just the drywall and flooring stacked there. Messy, while working, allows the creative flow to go uninterupted. Then time to clean up. I built it so it is off our bedroom, but has its own door and no one can get in it without going through the bedroom - less "'splainin" to do. I am building my work-benches out of interior doors and flue blocks, which can be removed when I am gone and my kids inherit the place - it will be a perfect "2nd bedroom" when it is my son and daughter's place to share. I can't wait to have my own studio again this year!!!!!!!

A Farmgirl Sister headed for my mountain home and farm in 2010.
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  2:05:22 PM  Show Profile
Kim...your space sounds amazing!

I just got a craft space for the first time when we moved to our current home in July. I JUST (like last month) got the moving boxes out of it and it's finally a REAL craft space. Since then, it has already gotten a little sloppy looking, but when you have 3 little boys you have to find little moments to even get time in there. There is no time leftover to clean everything up LOL! That's my excuse...for now. As long as I can get to my sewing machine, that's all that matters, right?
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  2:48:25 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I have been so inspired by "where women create" magazine. So much so that we are doing a creative space make over this winter with the Prosser Farm Girls. Those who are interrested signed up and we have all winter to revamp our creative spaces and then we will do a reveal in the spring. we are all really excited to see how it goes....

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com
www.renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  3:38:17 PM  Show Profile
I have to be a little careful with my creative room in that for some people it may appear a little X-rated....I know...gasp!!! But on the wall are plaster casts of me, well my upper body/belly of when I was pregnant with my children. I have one for each (3)..They are painted and fabulous but they are the real deal..breasts and all.. I forget that some people are WAY more modest than I..I forget that little boys are well..unglued by this kind of thing..I hardly think about it at all..they are simply pieces of art that I love..still, I've learned that they come with a disclaimer..

Frankly, the entire farm should come with some kind of disclaimer because Lord knows whose gonna be walking around naked..My kids are total nudies but not everyone embraces that you know.......Ahhhhh the circus...we are the circus!!!! so is my creative space!! ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

missgive
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Kim
Blairsville Georgia
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  7:08:56 PM  Show Profile
LOL Julia - a nudist circus? Too funny!!!

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  5:36:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. I've had lots of time to think about creativity. I had leg surgery to put in a rod where I broke my leg. I love to hear all your ideas. I know that comes with creativity is de-cluttering. It's an unfriendly word but if we don't do it the clutter may overwhelm us. When I was havin' and raisin' kids I never to seem to have enought time or space for art. But I did it anyway. I have quilts on the walls in many places, including the building with the headwaters of the Mississippi river, andd I think of the places I did those quilts: The floor, any table available, my lap,the ironing board, next to the kids beds, and even in the car. But I can't think of anywhere I would be than with my family. The kids are on their own now and I think of how much my work was part family life. Get rid of the junk and make space to create. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

corabela
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Laura
Mount Vernon Ohio
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  11:45:01 AM  Show Profile
I'd like to say the only reason mine is so messy is because it's so tiny but I think I know better. : )

~Laura

Please stop by my blog and my etsy site and say hello : )

www.corabela.blogspot.com
www.corabela.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Leelee
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Wraylee
Diamond WA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  10:43:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi All! I just realized that I DO apologize for my messy craft room...and I shouldnt! Nothing makes me happier than realizing I've made a mountain of mess after a long day of sewing or scrapping. I just think of the beautiful things I have created instead of spending my time cleaning. I recently painted my craft room in a vibrant red and white farm girl theme and now I love it even more!!!

Feeling down? Saddle up!
www.quiltcropandcabbage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  04:56:13 AM  Show Profile
After reading so many posts I started thinking about the quilt retreats that I attend. You really see how a person's craft space must be at home. Some people are spreaders and others are containers. Everyone arrives with a machine, fabric, supplies, and snacks. We all have half of a large table. Then the elves appear at night and the fabric grows and spreads. My best freind is a spreader. I am a container. We have been going on retreats for 6 plus years... as she grows, my space shrinks. It works for us. The funny thing is if she tries to be a container she can not find anything. If I spread I cann't think. Everyone creates in their own way. So all you spreaders hug your container freinds. We do not judge you - we love you for who you are...our crafty friend :) Oh - please don't hate us containers - we just can not think or create in a mess. Craft on, Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

missgive
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Kim
Blairsville Georgia
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  05:35:08 AM  Show Profile
As I am packing to head to a scrapbooking crop today, I am thinking about the fact that 1) I will take way too much, as usual; 2) share space with my buddy and we are taking someone new with us; 3) she will take up space there and I will have to be more contained.....I don't make a total mess but my "stacks" take up space - I think I have stopped appologizing and just close the door. I also spread beyond the studio to the dining room table on ocassion. Lots of ocassions....I say it is to be close to my guys and the tv while I work. Both are true, but the table is bigger than my current desk and I love the room it allows....(sigh) can't wait to get to my new nest in the mountains! (I'll be able to see the chicken coop from my new sudio as well!) Off to make more messes!
Kim (aka missgive)

Proud Farmgirl Sister #927
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  7:30:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi again girls: I can see farmgirls are tough, AND creative. My cousin says it all "we Kornders are all pilots; we pile it here, over there and some in the basement". (lol) Keep on creatin' Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  8:15:48 PM  Show Profile
I have stopped apolozing for my craft room. Things need to stay where their at until I'm finished with a craft. Tired of putting away and getting out again. Waste of precious time that could be spent creating. If anyone wants to comment on it I'll just have to tell them that they have to be in to creating to understand.And since I always have several things going at the same time, there's no time in between to have it all in it's place.

Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  4:00:03 PM  Show Profile
Sadly, I currently am farm challenged and live in a small one bedroom apartment. That WILL change! But in the meantime, I sleep on my futon couch because the bedroom is a storage sanctuary for all my crafting supplies. I may store an occasional piece of clothing in there, I am not sure....but what else is a sewer/quilter/beader/spinner/stamper/scrapper/soaper/knitter to do?!?
Catherine
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  5:04:26 PM  Show Profile
My craft room is very full and very messy. I just clear off a space and go to it. I don't apologize because few people get tpo see it except my adult kids who grew up with a mom that was always crafting. They think it is normal, and it is for a creative person. I loved the poem and quotes posted above.
Go to Top of Page

LBP
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Linda
Goodview VA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  12:42:23 PM  Show Profile
If you are coming to visit me, come right on. If you are coming to visit my house, make an appointment! My mantra!

Come visit me at:

http://lbpsews.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  07:08:20 AM  Show Profile
"farm challenged" what a neat expression!

I just moved into my new house and have the boxes unpacked, and stuff is spread out. Nothing is where it will eventually be. What a mess!

I am blessed with my own craft roon (it is a officially a dressing room of the master bedroom) but I am mystified by what to do with the sloping walls - I certainly can't put pictures or shelves up. They are also making furniture arrangement tricky.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Ms. Hannigan
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Shari
Middle TN
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  7:21:08 PM  Show Profile
I hope to one day turn our tool shed into a craft cottage. There's no power out there, but that just means I'll have to get creative. Maybe a treadle or something! Every farmgirl should have a "Room of One's Own." (Virginia Woolfe)

...some women are drippin' with diamonds... some women are drippin' with pearls... look at me, lucky me, the only thing I'm drippin' with is... little girls...
Farmgirl #1158
blog: http://www.lifegetsmessy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  9:54:43 PM  Show Profile
Shari: I'm drooling with jealousy. A real craft cottage. Please post us a picture when it gets finished. Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

cgonyer
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Cindy
Petersburg MI
USA
220 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  5:02:21 PM  Show Profile
My craft space is a corner of our very large bedroom. It's not the biggest space, but my husband doesn't mind the mess that I make. And I agree - how can you create when you craft space is not messy. Now where did I put those scissors...

;-)
~Cindy
Farmgirl #1273
Go to Top of Page

Heather Nicole
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Heather Nicole
Bolivar Missouri
USA
127 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  8:50:38 PM  Show Profile
OMG! How lovely this is to read! Linda I love your mantra! We all need a sign that states exactly that, ohh and voicemail messages.........

My craft room looks like a tornado national disaster area. Plain and simple. And yes, I have apologized for it, countless times. I am such a perfectionist and super organized, but it is a waste of time to clean it up. I am attending university online (aka Super Busy Lifestyle) so I just don't have time to clean something that will look the exact same messy way 10 min. from now. I only pick up when it all starts migrating into other parts of the house. Speaking of which..........I need to go clean. My photography and needlework is taking over!

Off topic: Shari I see your forum name is Ms. Hannigan (and your quote matches), I just wanted to say I've had the honor of reprising that role. Great fun! I truly lost one of my props during the song Little Girls, so the "drunken" state I was portraying seemed all the more real!

I know full well that joy is in the small things....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Apologizing for your creative room Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page