Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  05:34:28 AM  Show Profile
Well I'm going to try it tomorrow with Amish Friendship bread. I have just a few wide mouth jars and what I've read on line, it should be easy. Has any one tried this with any success? Let me know how it came out, Thank you Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  05:37:29 AM  Show Profile
I have not tried this, though I have thought it is a good idea for people who have to send things. I wonder how well it keeps...

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  05:49:19 AM  Show Profile
SOme of the websites say it keeps from one week to a year...I just want it to get through Christmas. I know I can always freeze the bread but I wanted to try something different.

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  05:55:42 AM  Show Profile
Hey ladies,
I have done this with breads and cakes for a number of years. In fact, I just found a chocolate cake that I had done about two years ago, opened it and enjoyed it. I used to send breads and cakes to my dad. He always looked forward to them. Now we have a young friend who serves in the military and I send some to him when I can. I just sent him pumpkin bread and brownies all securely sealed. He loves them and can't wait for the "jarred cakes" to arrive. All the "official" sites warn you that it is not a safe thing to do, but I have always had good luck. Make sure the rims of your jars are clean when they come out of the oven and have the rings and lids in boiling water on the stove so when your cakes are done you can seal them right away. Everyone loves them.
Nan in Ark

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  08:25:17 AM  Show Profile
I do it all the time. I did apple nut cake like this recently. They make nice little gifts.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  4:38:19 PM  Show Profile
Do the jars need to be processed? and how do you know what recipe will fit the jars? and where can I find out more? Sounds like a fun idea!!

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  06:23:48 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Ingrid,
You sterilize your jars in boiling water. Then you fill them about half full with cake or bread mix and bake as the recipe states. You have the rings and seal boiling in water on the stove while your cakes are baking and Immediately upon taking from oven you clean the tops of jars and place the lids and rings on and tighten. Voila, they will seal. Try this sight for ideas http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/recipes/Jar_Cakes.htm

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  06:29:47 AM  Show Profile
OK guys today is the day.... I'm going to start baking this afternoon and I'll let you know...Carol

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  1:54:51 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the information and the website to check.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2009 :  2:10:35 PM  Show Profile
I might try these too. (oven's broken now...but later) So, these actually "keep"??
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2009 :  5:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
How are your getting the bread out without making it crumbly? I use to bake breads in coffee cans so they would pop out ok.

Gail
Farmgirl #486

grammasladybug@blogspot.com
klamathfallscharmingchicks@blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  12:03:33 AM  Show Profile
If you butter the jars on the inside well, and only use wide mouth pint jars (they have straight sides)they come right out easily.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  07:40:31 AM  Show Profile
My bread sealed well, and I did have trouble getting one out, but my daughter "dished' the bread out into bowls and put ice cream on top. I would use more grease inside the jars next time, and a little less batter. I am going to open the rest in a few weeks and compare it to the bread I froze and see how it goes. It would sure save freezer space if I can get it to work.

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Baking Bread in Jars Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page