Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Favorite Thankgsgiving tradition/recipe?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Favorite Thankgsgiving tradition/recipe? Next Topic  

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2009 :  08:25:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Hello All!

Just wondering if your family has a favorite Thanksgiving recipe or tradition that you HAVE to do or else it wouldn't seem like a special Holiday?

My family goes around the table and each person (no matter how small) says what they are thankful for. It is a lovely tradition and is guaranteed to bring a few tears to the eye.

As far as food goes, there's the ever popular green bean casserole and this amazing cauliflower recipe that involves dijon mustard and a lot of cheese! Yummmm. My parents make this hideous oyster stuffing that you'd have to tie me down to eat but hey, they love it and that's all that matters!

Can't wait to hear what you do!

Hugs,

Linder

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"

www.aweekendwife.blogspot.com

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2009 :  08:29:24 AM  Show Profile
We always make up some "Turkey soup mix" either in jars or cellophane bags to take around to a few neighbors for using their leftover turkey to make soup. It is really simple to make..just chicken boullion granules,seasonings, dry onion and celery and fun pasta, and is always a big hit. The kids love to deliver them the day before Thanksgiving.
As for traditional foods...we always have fried okra with our meal. My grandma always did..so we do too.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2009 :  08:52:14 AM  Show Profile
Before dinner we all stand in a circle, holding hands, and someone gives a special prayer of thankfulness for all the Lord has blessed us with. There may be a scripture reading of giving thanks.
We always have a stuffed turkey with wonderful dressing and of course cranberry sauce. My sister in law is diabetic and always brings cherry coke salad. It has diet coke in it. The different renditions of sweet potatoes to each persons liking, and without fail, pumpkin pie. This year the pumpkin is coming from my daughters garden, she grew the most amazing pumpkins. After dinner such fun conversations and children possibly playing in already raked into piles of leaves. And to finish the day, I like to go out and cut cedar branches for Christmas decorating.
Happy Eating, Happy Thanksgiving,
Sheri

Many Hands Make Light Work!

...God made the seed to grow...1 Cor 3:6

The best fertilizer for a farm, are the farmers footsteps...

Edited by - Lynner on Nov 23 2009 08:53:15 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Favorite Thankgsgiving tradition/recipe? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page