Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Crisis cleaning for Thanksgiving
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Crisis cleaning for Thanksgiving Next Topic  

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  8:45:12 PM  Show Profile
LOL! What have I gone and done? We invited a couple over for Thanksgiving this year and my house is major disaster! Ack! On top of that we are in the middle of a move and wont be here Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday! It was one of those invites that you don't think they'll take you up on and boy was I wrong! Oh well, I guess I've got tomorrow, Saturday and most of Sunday. Anybody else doing crisis cleaning for the Holiday?

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  9:06:06 PM  Show Profile
My mom and my brother are coming to visit over Thanksgiving. But also my brother's girlfriend who I've only met a couple of times. If it was only my family, I wouldn't worry too much about having the house super clean. But since his girlfriend is coming, there is a bit more pressure.

~Rhonda

http://rmfo-blogs.com/rhonda
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  04:42:13 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I'm not going through this now, but about this time last year I decided to hostess a Mary Kay party. I had been to a party at my guy's sister's house and to help her get her max in free goodies she needed to have a couple of parties booked. So of course I said, "I'll do it!" Then I got home and really looked at my house. BLUCK!!!!! If it had only been my family coming I wouldn't have worried so much but I had my guy's sister, mom, granny and great aunt and not to mention the Mary Kay gal. Talk about stressful. arrrggg

Sending good thoughts and speed cleaning your way ladies. Have a wonderful holiday!!

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  06:49:41 AM  Show Profile
I am such a last minute typw person. Literally last minute. I always wait. I work better under stress. Besides, why clean a week ahead when it will just get messy and ya gotta do it over again anyway? So I just get up the day of and get to cleaning. Much better all the way around.

I do hope you are able to get it all done and not have to worry about it. And it helps to have most of your food fixed in advance. I do tend to do that. It helps alot to not have to rush around cooking the day of.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  09:05:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I feel for you! I am the same way! I invite people over and then realize I just signed up for 10-15 hours worth of house cleaning minimum! I am also OCD about wanting everything to be super clean whenever someone comes so I am always discouraged when it isn't!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  5:48:18 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the encouragement ladies. Glad to see I'm not the only one who does these crazy things. Got very little done today but DH will be home this weekend and said he will help. And then again, this couple knows I'm not a super neat freak so if it's not perfect I'm sure they will take it as it is!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  9:13:04 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Whenever I tell my dad I have to clean before a get together, he always asks why. His theory is why clean it up when you know it's just gonna get all messed up again- it's better to clean after everyone has gone back home. Strange but I guess his view kinda almost makes sense. LOL

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  9:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL! Oh that would drive me nuts though, Melanie! I always cringe wondering if something that is "normal" for me is totally gross to someone else! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  10:38:57 PM  Show Profile
I'm running the vacuum, sweeping the floors, dusting a little and making sure there are no surprises on the toilet seats...then I'm going to make sure the food is REALLY good, so nobody will notice the rest!

Farmgirl #783
http://jabezfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13618 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13618 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2009 :  07:05:08 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I am a "recovering" perfectionist . . . USED to clean like a lunatic BEFORE people came over. But after a few hours of people in the house milling around, eating, etc. . . . well it was all undone. I'm with Melanie and Kimberly . . . I stopped mopping my floors before, I stopped obsessing over everything before. I clean the bathroom, dust the furniture in the rooms guests will be in, make sure my kitchen is clean . . . and, yes, prepare REALLY GOOD food!
Boy, am I less stressed . . . I mop afterwards and it lasts days and days longer!!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2009 :  08:27:07 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I thought the same thing at first, Alee. That I just couldn't possibly do that. Then for one of my kiddos birthday parties I gave it a try. Afterall it was just family coming over. I made sure the bathroom was ship shape. Not hard since I only have 1 and it's tiny. Made sure everything was tidy- kids toys and clutter all put away and as far mopping the kitchen floor I only got up the really noticeable spots. But of course the rest of the kitchen was clean. But that's me, I'm really picky about a clean kitchen. It does make it so much simpler. :)

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2009 :  08:42:45 AM  Show Profile
I have not recovered. I'm still a perfectionist and prolly always will be. It's in my genes. My Mom said to be clean, so I am...

Actually, I keep the place spotless because of my infant care business. These infants are already compromised, so I take care to keep things (especially the air) as clean as possible. Believe me, the parents of the infants I care for pay attention, too.

Stress is my middle name.

-Deb

http://healthtalk.6.forumer.com/index.php

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars. - Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2009 :  5:20:59 PM  Show Profile
Monday evening here. Even started my crisis cleaning? No. Of course not...I am a diehard procrastinator!! The only thing I haven't procrastinated on is the worrying about getting it all done. LOL My father and sister are spending the holiday and weekend with me, and the kitchen is currently mid-process of being sheetrocked...the livingroom is holding all my packed kitchen supplies...the bedroom is hauling double duty as the storage room for all the things that SHOULD be in the livingroom...((don't even get me started on the back side of the house...we haven't started remodeling over there yet, so I like to forget it exists...))

And I have 48 hours to organize a makeshift camp kitchen, clean and organize the livingroom, and do the same to the bedroom. And I mean deep cleaning, too... (sheetrock dust between the couch cushions, anyone??). *sigh*

Oh, did I mention this procrastinator hasn't even gone shopping yet...? Thanksgiving dinner has been promised...but the groceries needed are still sitting pretty on the store shelves!! LOL

Why do I do this to myself?? :P

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

www.jodielyzabeth.blogspot.com

www.patternprincess.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Crisis cleaning for Thanksgiving Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page