campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  6:29:18 PM  Show Profile
My hubby shot his first elk! Does anyone have any yummy recipes to share?

Erin

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  6:50:33 PM  Show Profile
Elk stew, same as beef, in crockpot for 24 plus hours,or sausage,or pot roast

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  7:57:28 PM  Show Profile
I have found that the tomatoe base Marinades really help to tenderize and remove gamey taste if it has any. You will need to add a bit of oil as they are usualy very lean. One of our favorites is strognaff(sp) I always have good results with tomato soup and onion soup in a crock pot too. Over noodles or rice or potatos. Moist roasting will help alot too.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  06:18:33 AM  Show Profile
What a great hubby!! Have you had elk before? I wonder if it tastes anything like deer. I would love to try some. How big was the elk?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  06:30:17 AM  Show Profile
Congrats to your hubby for his elk! My hubby unfortunately didn't get an elk this year. But we still have some left from last year so all is well. I find that any recipe you use for beef works well with elk. I prefer elk over deer. The one DH got last year was not gamey at all, tender and nearly fat free. It is so lean that I find I need to add oil when cooking it, something I NEVER do with beef. If you're unsure of the flavor, any sauce, gravey or other flavorings will help.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  07:03:52 AM  Show Profile
We eat wildgame almost exclusively (except for the pigs we raise), so I don't have any "special" recipes. Like Audrey said, use it like you would beef, but add a little fat since it doesn't have any marbled through the meat. Also be careful that you don't overcook it because it will become dry and tough very quickly. BBQing can be a little tricky because of the drying factor. My youngest DD got on elk on Saturday (she filled her deer tag a couple of weekends ago). Enjoy your elk and Kudos to your hubby on his first elk!

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  2:00:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips! I also prefer elk over deer. I fixed an elk roast in the crockpot and it seemed a little dry. So maybe it cooked too long? Hubby is now trying to fill his deer and turkey tag. We're hoping to smoke the turkeys for Thanksgiving.
Kris- the elk meat weighed approx. 200lbs. We had it cut into steaks,roasts, and burger. Between the elk,deer,turkey, and pheasant we should be set this year.
If anyone knows of a good game recipe site or cookbook let me know!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  11:43:59 PM  Show Profile
I love elk! My uncle brings me some each year when he visits from Colorado in January. It is my favorite game meat for sure. I use it just like I would use beef...in stew, swiss steak, and stroganoff. It IS lean and dries out more easily than beef..makes great jerky too!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  06:53:03 AM  Show Profile
Erin, Someone gave me an elk cookbook a few years back. It's put out by the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. I've tried a couple of recipes, and they were good, but I don't usually cook with a recipe (lol). You might check out their web site and see what they have.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  09:33:34 AM  Show Profile
Take elk steaks and sear them in a skillet. Mix sour cream and dry onion soup mix. Spread some in the bottom of a baking dish, put in elk steaks, spread the remaining sour cream mixture on top and bake until done (350 degrees). Absolutely yummy.

Mary

'Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.' Albert Einstein
'Only a peace between equals can last.' Woodrow Wilson
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  1:38:08 PM  Show Profile
While we do have a herd of deer that lives on our block, we don't have elk anywhere close by. Someday we'll live out west and I'll be joining this conversation! LOL! There are several elk recipies on allrecipes.com that sound really good. Let us know.

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  5:20:05 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Pam, I'll check it out!

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page

Cowgirl Cocinera
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dana
Chelsea OK
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  07:19:14 AM  Show Profile
My favorite way to cook elk is put a roast in the crockpot and make several slits in it with a knife and then insert slivers of garlic down in the roast all over. Pour stewed tomatoes and sliced mushrooms on top and then cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. The tomatoes tenderize the meat and the drippins and the mushrooms make for a good gravy. Wish I was there to enjoy it with you!
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  7:51:40 PM  Show Profile
My hubby's favorite way to eat elk is thinly sliced and fried. We freeze ours in roasts so that when we need to cut it into steaks, it's easier to slice while partially frozen. I have to find a new oil for frying in though...we gave up canola oil. We also use it as stew meat and in anything that calls for beef. Since we didn't need burger, we'll take the "scraps" and make summer and breakfast sausage with it.

Farmgirl #783
http://jabezfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Elk Recipes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page