Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  1:41:33 PM  Show Profile
I was going to buy a loaf of bread the other day, was looking at the label, and the second ingredient listed was high frutose corn syrup!! The second thing! For bread! I have been trying for the past few months to not eat products with the corn syrup but did not realize that it is in everything. Any one with any suggestions as to how to totally get it out of my diet? I usually make my bread, and use very few packaged foods, but almost everything I do have in the house has that ingredient in it. Thanks ladies, I just needed to vent, Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  3:28:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You just have to read every single label every single time. Companies are always re-formulating and one thing that might be safe now might not be safe in 6 months. A lot of the bread companies are starting to put "No High Fructose Corn Syrup" on the labels if they aren't using it. A huge selling point!

Also only natural sodes (Like Jones and Hansen's) use real sugar. All the main stream sodas use HFCS. Write down the brands that you find that don't use HFCS so when you go shopping you can look over your list of safe foods before going. It'll be a process but I do the same thing! *hugs* Oh and if you buy canned spaghetti sauce- check those labels too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  4:49:53 PM  Show Profile
I haven't had soda for a while, maybe a root beer float sometimes. And I expected soda to have HFCS. But everything else? I was always a so so label reader until recently. Thanks for your advice about making a list. It will be a process, Carol

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  4:54:48 PM  Show Profile
Make your own bread! I know, I know - I sound INSUFFERABLE. But it's the only way to know that what goes into your bread is nothing more than flour, oil, yeast, water (and honey or sugar if you must). And it works out to be much less expensive than the "all natural organic" brands.

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  06:03:51 AM  Show Profile
If you can believe this, I once had to borrow a book from the library about how to gain weight! I had been in an accident, had a head injury, and was in a lot of pain and so not eating. The book said to walk in and buy something if you walked passed a bakery and felt tempted by good smells. I was not doing a lot of walking, so I bought a bread machine and THAT tempted me with good smells. Now, 10 yrs later, I use it to make dough that I then bake in the oven. It is soooo much cheaper and fresher, and so easy when I'm busy with other chores.
Some manufacturors are getting hip to the " no corn syrup" idea, and making products to accomodate consumer awareness. Our local chain grocery store, HEB, sells " no HFCS" ketchup for a couple of bucks and a few pennies. I just figure, if it's processed and comes from the regular grocery store, it probably does have " that ingredient" in it. Once you find things that don't, you can usually just keep buying them. I have a corn syrup free pecan pie recipe to try this year. I can send it out by mail if anyone else wants to try it.
~ Mary LD
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  07:17:12 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Lessie Louise

I was going to buy a loaf of bread the other day, was looking at the label, and the second ingredient listed was high frutose corn syrup!! The second thing! For bread! I have been trying for the past few months to not eat products with the corn syrup but did not realize that it is in everything. Any one with any suggestions as to how to totally get it out of my diet? I usually make my bread, and use very few packaged foods, but almost everything I do have in the house has that ingredient in it. Thanks ladies, I just needed to vent, Carol

Farmgirl #680!

Ditto with soybeans. EVERYTHING you buy in a box or a can (IOW, not fresh!) has soy something in it. Not good.

Also, you hafta be really careful in purchasing things called "natural". Natural is a marketing phrase and sometimes it doesn't mean natural at all. Hydrogen is natural too, but they make bombs out of that stuff, so just watch out for the word natural.

A lot of people mistake natural for organic. Those are two totally separate terms.

-Deb

http://healthtalk.6.forumer.com/index.php

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars. - Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  08:03:23 AM  Show Profile
Corn, soy, yikes! I too try to avoid both. Deb has it pegged!
~ MAry LD
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  2:46:11 PM  Show Profile
i am not eating any sugar, and it has improved my mood and my marriage - yay!

however, I am also eternally frustrated by the HFCS in EVERYTHING. So, I'm making everything at home. And since I'm buying flour in bulk, it's real cheap! We are re-learning how things taste, and wheat is kinda sweet all on it's own!

I don't have any advice for ya, except read those labels and if you have the time you may just want to throw up your hands and make it all yourself.

I do feel sorry for the people who want to lose weight or deal with crazy mood swings and don't understand that all those sodas and processed foods could be a huge factor in all of it. I'm gettin the word out though! Especially since I'm passing up not just the brownies and cakes, but also chips and dips, and drinks and anything make with cream of something soup... at potlucks all I can eat without repercussions is ussually a raw veggie platter and water :( but I feel a lot better!

Good luck to you!

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  4:49:26 PM  Show Profile
MaryLD, I read your post before I read where you were posting from. When I read HEB, I knew you were in TX. Do you have a Central Market? My very favorite store in the world. I am in KS, long way to go to the store. Central market has a lot of healthy stuff, along with the other stuff. I cook mostly from scratch so we limit out intake of HFCS and MSG.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  6:42:11 PM  Show Profile
Belle,
We're outside of Austin, in Leander. I just drive to the local HEB's to save gas- and then I shop farmer's markets! I'm also in a co-op with an organic farm where we order weekly goods and one person picks them up from the farm for everyone-
I work hard to be sure that the things I bring home are organic as much as possible. HEB has organic ketchup too- with Central Market label!
~ Mary LD
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  06:47:01 AM  Show Profile
Mary, what is your recipe for pecan pie without corn syrup? I'd love to see it.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  08:05:35 AM  Show Profile
Thank you guys for the support. I would also love the pecan pie recipe. That's one of those recipes that even if if won't set you can still eat it!! Heather Ann, I like yor saying about the good and bad! Take goood care, Carol

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  08:22:36 AM  Show Profile
Here's the recipe:

It's from Cook's Country Magazine, which I bought just because this recipe was advertised on the cover. " Corn Syrup Sent Packing!"

1 cup maply syrup
1 cup packed lt brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 T molasses
4 T unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 t salt
6 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
You also need a 9 inch unbaked pie crust, chilled in pie plate for 30 minutes

1) Make Filling
Put oven rack to lowest position, and heat to 450 degrees
Heat syrup, sugar, cream,and molasses in saucepan over medium heat stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes. Whisk butter and salt into mixture until combined. Whisk in egg yolks until incorporated.

2) Bake Pie
Scatter pecans in pie shell. Carefully pour filling over. Place pie in hot oven, and immediately reduce oven tempurature to 325.
Bake until filling is set and center jiggles slightly when pie is gently shaken, 45-60 minutes. Cool pie on rack for 1 hour, then refrigerate until set, about 3 hours and up to one day. Bring to room temp before serving.

I'm making thiis the first time for Thanksgiving!
~ Mary LD
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  09:04:13 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Mary, this looks so good. I have all the ing, so today looks like a good baking day!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  1:12:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh that recipe looks yummy! Pecan Pie is my hubby's favorite. I think I'll make this as a surprise for Thanksgiving. Thanks Mary!

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  3:31:47 PM  Show Profile
Something else you may want to remember is that any word ending in "ose" on a food label is sugar. As a fitness trainer at a nationally known women's health club, I began my journey to good health by studying about food and food additives. A good book to read is "The Crazy Makers." I'm sorry I can't remember the author's name, but if you ask about it at the library, I'm sure you can get it. It is a thick book, but one I could not put down. I recommend it to people all the time. You would not believe the things they put in our food. That is why I love Mary Janes Farm. Melody
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  3:38:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the book title Melody, i have heard of it. I get an Amish magazine called Keepers at Home and they really have some great ideas about eatting good foods.

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  4:00:55 PM  Show Profile
When I was in 7th grade, I did a report on "Food Additives" for my English and Science classes, as one assignment. My favorite source was called " Bugs in the Peanut Butter," which explained the number of bugs- parts per million- allowed by law in peanut butter, amongst other things. I felt like such a little detective! Funny how our wisdom and passions can be sparked so early in life!
Go, Farmgirls!
~ Mary LD
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  7:05:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
i just learned something... i never knew bread... of all things, would have HFCS in it. Go figure

"My ideal day is sitting on the back porch, cup of green tea in hand, slippers on, and just watch the cows in the pasture"

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  06:35:24 AM  Show Profile
I make a pecan pie similar to the one mentioned above, except that I don't use maple syrup either. It's on Allrecipes-I think it's pecan pie V. (Look for the one without corn syrup) they're AWESOME. I get raves every time I make them, and they freeze great too!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  11:07:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the pie recipe Mary! I haven't made pecan pie in a couple of years because of the corn syrup! My hubby will be SO excited to have his beloved pie again...you may have just saved our marriage! lol

Farmgirl #783
http://jabezfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  5:40:42 PM  Show Profile
I'm making the pecan pie without corn syrup from Allrecipes.com, after all! It's more economical, and now I can make maple- orange cranberry sauce!
Mary LD
Texas
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  2:07:28 PM  Show Profile
Ditto on making everything! My DH has a MAJOR allergic reaction when exposed to even a bit of MSG, but did you know MSG is only one of about 25 other names for the additive? I didn't until DH got sick on, of all things, soft serve ice cream at a friends birthday party!! The reaction was so violent I didn't know whether we were headed for the emergency room or not. I called poison control and viola! MSG has several names. MSG known products/listings may include:

Monosodium glutamate
Hydrolyzed “anything”
Autolyzed “anything”
Natural flavor/flavorings
Caseinate (sodium or calcium)
Carrageenan
Yeast extract or nutrient
Seasonings, Spice
Gelatin
Bouillon/Broth/Stock
Co mmercial soup or sauce base
Soy, wheat, whey protein
Soy, fish, or bean sauces
Malted barley flour
Malt extract
Corn byproducts: corn syrup, dextrose,
cornstarch, citric acid

The more I read about this, the more convinced I am to not used processed ANYTHING!

Joy

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  2:34:27 PM  Show Profile
Joy, that is great info tp know. Thhose companies are sneaky! On a lighter side, I was reading a peanut butter label, and it stated it was made in a plant that made peanut products! In case you were wondering........ I am learning more and more now that I have started to really pay attention.

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  1:49:20 PM  Show Profile
DH is very sensitive to corn syrup - his sinuses swell and eventually he ends up with a sinus infection. Ketchup, almost all baked goods, sodas, pickles - most everything uses the stuff (thanks to the corn mafia - oops - different rant). Check items labeled "organic" - I rarely find it in anything labeled organic. Soon you'll learn the brands to avoid. I gave it up when I found Mary Jane's magazine and learned just how bad the stuff is for our bodies. I don't miss it.

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

elisa in the woods
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Elisabeth
Central Florida Florida
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  05:51:20 AM  Show Profile
I live in Central Florida and have a difficult time finding flour, preferably whole wheat flour, in bulk. Any suggestions? It seems like every trip to the store means higher prices and a subtle change in packaging size (smaller). Every penny counts right now. Thank you!

Thou wilt keep them in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee. Isaiah 26:3

http://elisa-in-the-woods.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I have just had it!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page