Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic chicken egg question Next Topic  

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  1:00:28 PM  Show Profile
Ok can't remember if I asked this but as a rookie farmer, what if anything does it mean if a small red/brown spot in egg on yolk or by? We got 5 new hens that lay brown eggs and they are the only ones we have a problem with, our leghorns eggs are fine.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  3:54:15 PM  Show Profile
a wee bit of tramua during development of the egg, nothing to worry about

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  7:22:19 PM  Show Profile
i would like to ad that some breeds are more apt to have dark spots in them. just like the ropes that hold the yolk in the middle of egg in some breeds are larger than others. when chickens are young they will have a dark spot in the egg and when they get older it sometimes stops. double yolk eggs are usually a hen coming into to lay. hope this helps sherrye i am called the egg lady in this neck of the woods lol lots and lots of poultry on this farm for years and years. something i can do cause chickens are little haha and i have a yorkie chicken herder dog named ittybitty
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  03:34:28 AM  Show Profile
I appreciate this info, we just kind of pick the spot off and eat them so that should be ok, right? Must be the breed then as I said we haven't had anything in the leghorns and not all the brown eggs but the spots showed up in the browns. Maybe that is why people often charge more for brown HA!!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  04:28:03 AM  Show Profile
Rae, do you have a rooster in with them? I have noticed that when I don't have a roo there are no spots. It could be the baby chick forming? It never bothered me. But a friend of mine will throw the whole egg out when she sees that.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  04:50:39 AM  Show Profile
Ok this is embarassing but how do you know if one is a rooster?
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  05:11:39 AM  Show Profile
Well let's see. They are generaly bigger, have longer legs, have bigger combs, longer tail feathers, very shiny feathers, they crow! When I got my Buffs the little roo had a dark blue spot of ink on his head so I could tell who he was. Otherwise, when they are little, they all look alike. But they soon start to outgrow the girls. You should notice the longer legs, the awkwardness. They will trip over their feet. Just like teenage boys! Very gangly. And at least by 4-5 months, those guys should be trying to crow. And also they will try to mount the girls.

I had 5 chicks hatch during the summer. There are 3 roos and 2 hens. The roos have very shiny feathers. And they are just prettier than the girls, too. The girls tend to be dull and plain.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  07:44:01 AM  Show Profile
if you are gathering your eggs daily the spot has to be a flaw in the egg caused by breed most generally. if you find an egg you are not sure about. such as how long it has been in the nest. such as what is called a nest egg, then it could have a growth spot. all nest eggs that have been there and not gathered we do not eat.we are always careful to check shavings closely for an egg that can get lost in the shavinghs. to risky to know how old it is if you missed it in an earlier gatheriing. i just love the feeling of gathjering food here on the farm and fixing dinner on the wood heat stove. i saw the site about cooking on her foreplace and now do it also. so fun sherrye
Go to Top of Page

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  5:10:13 PM  Show Profile
So if you gather your eggs daily and still get an egg now and then with a spot is that normal? We dont have any roosters Well I dont think I have any roosters... If I do it looks like a hen and doesnt crow and they are all laying we only have 12 chickens.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  6:42:46 PM  Show Profile
I do gather my eggs every day and am careful to get them all. They are pretty good about laying out in the open in the nest areas.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  03:47:34 AM  Show Profile
I'm assuming the spot is on the yolk?

We get this sometimes too, or blod in the egg. THAT was weird, or other "meaty" non egg type material inside.

If I can recall...these are just bits that get caught up in the egg laying process while everything travels down the ovaduct and prior to being seald into the eggshell.

It affects nothing and is harmless

You can tell if an egg is fertile (after it has been opened) by loking for the white little circle thingy in the yolk. It loks like a tiny white circle in a circle. A chick doesn't start to develop until the egg receives heat from the hens body. You can put fertilized eggs in the frige for up to a week, then place under a setting hen and most will hatch. Kind of cool if you want a bunch of chicks at one time.

And roosters also have longer neck feathers they use to splay out when they challeng other roosters in an attempt to look bigger. So look for longer glossy feathers along the neck, back and tail. Wattles will be bigger and you can see the start of spur growth on their legs too. Although I think hens csn also grow these. And of course long about the 6th month, young roosters will start to crow.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  03:49:39 AM  Show Profile
p.s.

And i recently learned that all eggs are white, but the brown egg layers put down the extra pigment before being layed.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic chicken egg question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page