AmericanGothic
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Eleanor
Manchester NH
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  11:02:50 AM  Show Profile
My hubby burned a hole in our countertop by placing a burning hot pan right on top of it, doh! Now I keep covering it with a wooden breadboard, but when I move it to clean it is so unsightly and bothers me very much. I want to sell this place eventually and can't afford to replace the countertops with the loftier granite, but was thinking of installing something permanent and decorative, but useful to hide the spot. Any ideas? Do you think gluing down ceramic hot plates would look silly?

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  11:40:47 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
How about installing a permanent cutting board??? Butcher block in not that expensive. You could even buy a board and install it. Is it near a place that would be convenient for a cutting board???

Heather

"Hitch your wagon to a star"

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AmericanGothic
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Eleanor
Manchester NH
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  11:58:39 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I was thinking of doing that. Would you recommend putting the butcher board on top of the existing counter or replacing it altogether?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  1:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Can you cut away a section of the counter top and replace it with butcher block so it is level with the other?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AmericanGothic
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Eleanor
Manchester NH
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  4:10:56 PM  Show Profile
I don't think so because a builder friend of mine told me that the laminate could crack or chip if I cut it in the middle.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  5:24:41 PM  Show Profile
Eleanor, if you use a varible speed scroll saw, and double tape with blue painting tape, you would cut down the center of the tape, drill a hole just in from the cut area to start the saw. When you have your piece of butcher block , measure thickness, mount a thin peice of waterproofed wood in the cutout so your butcher block sets up slightly, cut some 1/4 round for a frame around the cutout, paint or stain and seal with waterproofing, use silicone to seal edges, and you won't get moisture underneath. This way you can remove butcherblock to clean and clean-up any crumbs or moisture that might get underneath.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  05:10:49 AM  Show Profile
Eleanor,
There's also the possibility of just a cover over for the whole counter top. It makes me think of putting contac paper on it, but that's basically what you are doing. I had heard about it years ago and I guess it does work.
Just a thought!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

If you rest, you rust. Helen Hayes

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AmericanGothic
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Eleanor
Manchester NH
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  11:27:51 PM  Show Profile
Badmama, that sounds so intimidating. I would be scared to even try it!! I am real new at all of the do-it myself stuff. Today was the first time I even fixed a broken slab of wood in my drawer and putting on the wood glue was scary. I know, I know, but one of these days I will get beyond all my nervousness and just do it and something will become wonderful. But while you are very detailed and give a great suggestion, I am too much of a wimp to try it! LOL.
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  05:04:37 AM  Show Profile
You can actually paint it. I would sand it and paint. There is special paint just for that purpose and it does not chip.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  2:00:52 PM  Show Profile
I had a small fire in my kitchen, I called the counter top guy to come give me an estimate and he said it was a VERY COMMON problem and I should turn it in to my homeowner's insurance. For a $500 deductible I got an entire new countertop in my kitchen, and my rates didn't even go up!

I wasn't thinking about the homeowner's insurance until I talked to this man.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

gr8tfulmom
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Sarah
South Haven MI
143 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  04:56:10 AM  Show Profile
We replaced the laminate countertop in our rental (which we were living in at the time) really cheaply (like 40 bucks), by going to a discount home store (scratch, dent & overrun). It was easy as we just took off that whole section of counter and replaced it with the new. When cut we used about the same system as Teresa. Search for discount or online & irl auctions for building materials, you'll probably be surprised at what you find. Good luck!

Farmgirl sister #779

http://symbioticstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
Calaveras County California
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  8:37:41 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by AmericanGothic

My hubby burned a hole in our countertop by placing a burning hot pan right on top of it, doh! Now I keep covering it with a wooden breadboard, but when I move it to clean it is so unsightly and bothers me very much. I want to sell this place eventually and can't afford to replace the countertops with the loftier granite, but was thinking of installing something permanent and decorative, but useful to hide the spot. Any ideas? Do you think gluing down ceramic hot plates would look silly?

What ever happened to the counter? And there are special blades for a saw that will cut laminate. Because of the radiation issue with granite we dont have it in our cottage. But the place that sells counter top material like granite, tile, glass etc, gave us an excellent deal on a scrap piece of a man made glass and rock material. In these economic times many places will give you an excellnt price. And if like me, you have a Habitat For Humanity store nearby, they also have materials at an excellent price.

~MotherLodebeth- I was born in the wrong era~
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Advice for burnt countertop? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page