Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Furniture Painting/Distressing Ideas?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Furniture Painting/Distressing Ideas? Next Topic  

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  10:00:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi there! I just bought a gorgeous knotty pine sideboard that I am going to top with marble and use as an island in my kitchen. But it really needs to be painted. I haven't really painted furniture before, and would love some tips!

Is it hard to get that "distressed" look? Should I use contrasting paint colors or just sand down to the wood? I've seen both suggestions. I need to know what will be easiest for a beginner, as well as give good results.

Any other advice would be much appreciated!

Best,

Robin

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  10:08:21 AM  Show Profile
Ooh my favorite topic. Not hard at all. It sort of depends how distressed you want it. What I do is get black paint, crackle medium and then whatever my final color will be (lets say white just for our purposes) and some light stain.

I clean and lightly sand the item. I apply some of the black paint quite sloppily, dry brushing around the corners and wear areas. (this will not show in the end so apart from drips dont worry about this.
Next I apply a bit if crackle medium but not all over, I like my crackle to look natural, so I use it here and there, where I think the paint may crack naturally. let it dry and then top coat smoothly and evenly with your final color. When this is completely dry sand the wear areas and corners until the wood comes through, you will see a bit of the black coming through as well. Wipe down with a damp cloth to rid the dust and then use the stain sparingly, wiping it off as you go. If you like, coat it with poly, or just wax it. It will be fab!

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Furniture Painting/Distressing Ideas? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page