sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  7:32:18 PM  Show Profile
i am trying to dry up ginger. she is a lamanche. what a producer. i want to dry her up for winter. no she is not bred yet. her bag looks like it will explode. i have milked her out about every 2 1/2 days. she gets huge, tonight i left her. she was not crying, udder not red or hot. she is just huge. do i leave her or milk her out in am. does this stimulate her to make more milk if i milk her out. the book says to empty her udder if i am going to relieve her. what do you gals with goats think? then she goes tpo get bred after she is dry. so no one has to milk her while she is with nthe buck thanks sherrye

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  7:59:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would milk her once a day for a while and leave just a little in the udder each time. This simulates a kid self-weaning where they don't "finish the meal" so to speak. This tells the goat's body to stop making so much. So let's say you get a half gallon from her when sheis at full production, then you cut back to once a day. You would probably get a little more than a half gallon the first day or so, but by leaving say a cup or so behind, each day she should produce less. So after a few days you would be getting a little less than half a gallon a day, then after a few more days youl would be down to about a quart, and so on until she is harldy producing and then you can switch to ever other day and still leaving some behind and after he is down to say a pint I bet you could let her just dry up.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  9:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I think there's already a topic about drying up a goat on here. I'm drying up my goat right now and here's what I have done.
First week I milked her half way and left some still in her udder.
This week I am only milking her in the mornings and not at night.
After that I am just going to stop milking her. So far she is doing really well.
I also cut her grain in half so she's getting a little less than 2 quarts a day instead of 4 quarts a day.
Hope this helps!!
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  06:24:17 AM  Show Profile
Sherry, the MAIN thing in drying up a doe is to CUT THE FEED down! I made that mistake the first year I had goats. It took forever. But once I cut the feed it worked. I go to OAD for awhile then every other day then to every 3 days, milking her out totally.

It's going to be hard to dry off a doe that's just recently kidded, too. How long ago did she kid? And how old is she? I just dried off my oldest doe and it just took a few times. Very easy. And the others will be easy, too. I will milk the other 3 as long as I can. I hate to be without milk. Now I just get a half gallon every other day. I think I'd rather have too much milk that just that much. I usually dry them up in Feb. because they should kid again in April.

Good luck. Hope all goes well. Just remember to cut that feed way back!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  06:55:10 AM  Show Profile
thanks for all the info. without looking at her papers i think she is 3 yrs. she kidded in march. its just that i am a cow milk girl. we got the goats to milk when we thought buttercup was not bred. 2 months later she had a heifer calf ya for us. i have goats cause i love their company. she is so loving and follows me everywhere. i will milk her this am. buttercup is giving 3/4 gallon now. this works for us. we share with the calf. i machine milk. love my cows sherrye learn as we go- silk pirse farm i have not cut feed way back. HOW MUCH hay a feeding? she gets long stringy sweet grass hay
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  07:51:01 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I think hay is fine to give however much you want. But the grain you have to cut down. That's what I'm doing with my goat and it's working great. I love my goats too! When ever I'm out there they follow me too.
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic drying up a goat Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page